Which filter to choose?

Status
Not open for further replies.

plasma

Nov 22, 2003
Ithaca, NY, USA
Visit site
I am getting a filter for my lense to protect the lense from damage. Should I choose get a UV or a clear filter to make sure my image stays original as b4?
Any suggestions where to get such filters cheap? I heard that Hoya have cheap and affordable filters.

I am getting a filter for my lense to protect the lense from damage. Should I choose get a UV or a clear filter to make sure my image stays original as b4?
Any suggestions where to get such filters cheap? I heard that Hoya have cheap and affordable filters.

A UV filter will do. Hoya/Tokina and a few others are cheap. Go to MS Color, TCW (the camera workshop), cathay photo, tk photo, alan photo, etc...

While B+W UV MRC filter is more expensive, the superior MRC coating will surely win over hoya filter. If you have both, you can try to clean both and you know what I mean.

Now I have all my lenses with B+W UV MRC filter.

Beside filter, lens hood also help you to protect your lens' front element and from flare.

Regards,
Arto.

just to check which filter shld i get for the nikon 18-200mm VR lens?

my preferred brand in descending order :

B+W
72mm MRC UV-Haze - $90 CP, $85 MS(Feb 07)
72mm CPL MRC - $180 CP
72mm CPL Slim MRC - $200 CP

Nikon
72mm NC - $89 (Lords) $76 (OP)
72mm NC Filter - $98 (Max Photo)

*taken from http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?t=263716

I use Nikon's NC filters for all of my lenses. :)

一分钱一分货. Me too, B+W for all my lenses. Nothing beats B+W. They're so easy to clean!

While B+W UV MRC filter is more expensive, the superior MRC coating will surely win over hoya filter. If you have both, you can try to clean both and you know what I mean.

Beside filter, lens hood also help you to protect your lens' front element and from flare.

Regards,
Arto.

Regards,
Arto.

Yeah i strongly agree with u on the cleaning part. Hoya filters when cleaned, seems to get more marks and takes a long time to clean them evenly again. B+W wise, just as simple as wiping it off.

I used to use Hoya filters. Now it is B+W. It is very easy to clean as many users had already shared their experience. But it is more ex compared to Hoya.:)

just to check which filter shld i get for the nikon 18-200mm VR lens?

my preferred brand in descending order :

B+W
72mm MRC UV-Haze - $90 CP, $85 MS(Feb 07)
72mm CPL MRC - $180 CP
72mm CPL Slim MRC - $200 CP

Nikon
72mm NC - $89 (Lords) $76 (OP)
72mm NC Filter - $98 (Max Photo)

*taken from http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?t=263716

CPL are not meant to be put on as protective filter as it cuts down light by stops.

put it simply, a protective filter should be as clear as possible to avoid decreasing optical sharpness and color cast. in terms of protection itself, all of them works. but in terms of cleaning/durability and optical clarity, there are differences.

B+W are definitely easier to clean than hoya. NC is in between with plenty of nikon supporters too.

optical sharpness is, in term of photography, not the most crucial part, especially to newbies becos unsharpness due to many other reasons are more often the case. you do need to think about this when you are pretty satisfied with your compositional, focusing and metering skills, that optical sharpness becomes then a top priority. besides, if you handle the filter frequently enough, eventually the filter can be dirty and optical sharpness may not differ so much between brands.

for short term usage and tries, hoya will do. for long term usage, the better filters are better becos UV filters tend not to be removed and does not get dirty like the rectangular filters or other secondary rounded filters. and with good easy cleaning and/or resistance to scratch, UV filter can serve a long time.

B+W. :thumbsup:

something different, Marumi :thumbsup:... if you don mind geting them from ebay. they cost less than 1/2 of B+W equiv even with shipping.

Regards,
Arto.

I don't mind paying more for B+W.

:thumbsup: That's the 1 & only coz :)dunno: how many ppl have try this) place this & other make filter side-by-side(in fact ring touching each other with fabric that got fine-textured & stare hard thru the 2 different brands filter very very carefully=chances are you'll likely to see the diff ok)

Btw, my discovery was in terms of "clarity":bigeyes: looking thru B+W's filter is :thumbsup: when compared. I've even done this using my Lowepro-bag outer-fabric material=Note, must look thru very carefully+at diff angle to get the result(this is based on my encounter).

Just for sharing:)

i would choose B+W due its good quality of the material =) i read about their production process and the material used. very impressive.

Some qns for u guys...

Does poor quality UV filter causing problems like vignetting?

Wat other implications can we expect if we use poor quality ones?

Lastly, if i intend to get Hoya UV 55mm and my budget can be around $30, wat is recommended?

Thanks

Regards,
Arto.

i jsut got a hoya 67mm uv filter last night at $42

anyway, something to ask, i thought B+W is shortform of black plus white, so it is a brand name? how do pp normally call it? B "and" W? or B "plus" W?

Some qns for u guys...

Does poor quality UV filter causing problems like vignetting?

Wat other implications can we expect if we use poor quality ones?

Lastly, if i intend to get Hoya UV 55mm and my budget can be around $30, wat is recommended?

Thanks

Don't think a poor quality filter would cause vignetting, but I've seen cases of ghostings.

i jsut got a hoya 67mm uv filter last night at $42

anyway, something to ask, i thought B+W is shortform of black plus white, so it is a brand name? how do pp normally call it? B "and" W? or B "plus" W?

B+W is a brand.

B&W or B/W is often used as a short form of black and white.

Status
Not open for further replies.