Which film for good landscape and people photography?

Status
Not open for further replies.
wow soo much information!

ITguy, want to clarify something about the following quotations:

Reala == $6.50++
Development + Print (Stanley w/ Optical) == $3.50 + (30c x 36) == $14.30
Total Cost == $22.80

DOes it means that stanley print their photo optically and NOT the digital way? I don't feel goodl when i know my photos are digitally scan first then print.

Yes, optically, the conventional optical Noritsu machine. But be careful on how you expose your negative. Always overexpose by 1 stop else you will get it from Joanna :devil: No lah she is nice lah, just that overexpose the negative by 1 stop will be easier to adjust the colour. I also do not understand why coz I shoot slides.

Kex's shop at Bedok, look for the thread in consumer corner.

Zerstorer said:
Personally I'd agree with ITGuy, Reala's latitude for underexposure isn't good. Just 1 stop under and the colours will turn horrid.

Hmmm...I don't quite get you here. How can it look underexposed if it was exposed at 1 stop over? And what do you mean by "it needs to be exposed at a minimum of 2-3 stops over"? You mean exposing it at a EI of 25?

Behyx: Superia 200 has fine grain for most purposes. Actually the current version of Superia 400 and Superia 200 have the same granularity which makes the Superia 400 one of the finest 400 speed films around. Only the portraiture films like Kodak Portra and Fuji NPS have finer subjective grain appearance in the midtones to flatter the skin. If you are getting grainy looking shots from Superia 200, it might be your lab performing excessive sharpening or simply a case of underexposure. As for using slides for portraiture, it all depends on how well you control your light.:)

Any FILM in this market when it's 1 stop underexposed will make the colours horrendous. Not just REALA.

Yes exposing at ISO 25 or even ISO 12 will be the most ideal choice for REALA. Try it and you will know. I have been using REALA for a very long time and when I first bought the film, I had horrendous colours when I exposed just about 1/2 stop over. The colours were too saturated for my liking plus the print highlights and shadow details were flat.

No Stanley's lab is printed optically. Scanning the negatives is just for the technician to view the negative. When the negative is expose, a ray of light will pass thru the negative with the optical attach to it.

Depends on how you exposed the negs. If for example, if your negatives is accidentaly over exposed by 4-5 stops, Joanne will still be able to print your negs out. I have tried before over exposing by 5 stops, Joanne just screams at me but my prints still comes out fine. That is the power of NEGATIVES but but I must stress that only professional NEGATIVES like Kodak Portra 160VC, 400VC, Reala, NPS 160 are able to with stand the latitude.

Try exposing Konica Films by more than 2 stops........Joanne will scream at you louder as the film latitude for Konica is very poor. Feel the film based.....

Any more info, please drop by our lab.

Thanks

theITguy said:
. Always overexpose by 1 stop else you will get it from Joanna :devil: No lah she is nice lah, just that overexpose the negative by 1 stop will be easier to adjust the colour..

is it also the same for negative??

Pro Image said:
Yes exposing at ISO 25 or even ISO 12 will be the most ideal choice for REALA. Thanks

wow, what result will it yield if i set it to ISO 25 or 12? and when i'm printing, i must also tell Joanne about the changes in my ISO setting right?

so its more like pulling the negative? setting camera's ios setting to 50 when using negative rated at 100?

Pro Image said:
Any FILM in this market when it's 1 stop underexposed will make the colours horrendous. Not just REALA.
Not to my experience, Superia and Press 800 takes underexposure better in this regard, 1 stop under and the colours can still be decent. The Pro portrait films like Reala/NPC/NPS/NPZ 800 can't tolerate underexposure or mixed lighting as well.

Yes exposing at ISO 25 or even ISO 12 will be the most ideal choice for REALA. Try it and you will know. I have been using REALA for a very long time and when I first bought the film, I had horrendous colours when I exposed just about 1/2 stop over. The colours were too saturated for my liking plus the print highlights and shadow details were flat.
Over exposing films by 2-3 tends to lower sharpness/acutance IMO. Yes, overexposing a stop or so does yield a denser negative that helps make a more saturated print, lower grain in shadows and gives a safety margin in the event of accidental underexposure due to metering screwups, but I don't see the logic of overexposing by 2-3 stops which is excessive. You mentioned that you Reala looks underexposed when exposed at EI 50 and that seems rather surprising to me. I've not tried SLCC, but I've got good results at EI100 even when printed with no adjustments at labs like Konota and Beautiful Memories.

Pro Image said:
This statement above is confusing. :dunno: You are saying that Reala gives over the top colours when 1/2 stop over. Yet you are recommending that it be overexposed by 2-3 stops? i.e EI of 12-25?

Are we talking about a properly exposed subject or is this setting used to correct for some metering deficiencies?

Zerstorer said:
Not to my experience, Superia and Press 800 takes underexposure better in this regard, 1 stop under and the colours can still be decent. The Pro portrait films like Reala/NPC/NPS/NPZ 800 can't tolerate underexposure or mixed lighting as well.

Over exposing films by 2-3 tends to lower sharpness/acutance IMO. Yes, overexposing a stop or so does yield a denser negative that helps make a more saturated print, lower grain in shadows and gives a safety margin in the event of accidental underexposure due to metering screwups, but I don't see the logic of overexposing by 2-3 stops which is excessive. You mentioned that you Reala looks underexposed when exposed at EI 50 and that seems rather surprising to me. I've not tried SLCC, but I've got good results at EI100 even when printed with no adjustments at labs like Konota and Beautiful Memories.

Eh Beautiful Memories and Konota uses digital machines.......the images are ALL digitized. There is no optical involve.

Please bring down your best print and we will print again with your negatives.

Compare it with your digital print and our optical print. I will give you a 10X loop to let you see the quality.

There is no right or wrong in goin 2-3 stops more. As long as it yeilds the best results, that is the most important. I will show you a few types of prints using Reala, one without any compensation and one with 3 stops over.

As you know that I cannot scan due to loss of quality, so you need to drop by and have a look.

Eh i have tried the over exposed Reala 3 stops and blow it up to 16 x 20 inch. Sharpness is retain.

Unless you work in Konota or Beautiful Memories, I think there is a lot more that you can modify and change your film speed. There is no fixed hard rules that you must exposed at the actual film speed. As I mentioned, Konata and Beautiful Memories uses Digitized machines, so there is no way you can compare with optical machines which yields better quality.

Optical printing is printed directly from the negatives which is exposed using light and lens directly. Digital printing is the images is scan and printed using lasers even if you use a negative to print. So you can see why digital prints are sharper. It is also too contrasty as well. Come down to our studio and try a roll of negative and see. Compare with your other prints.

Hmm, funny that you should want to underexposed your Fuji 800. Maybe you can bring that down for us to print as well.

Zerstorer said:
This statement above is confusing. :dunno: You are saying that Reala gives over the top colours when 1/2 stop over. Yet you are recommending that it be overexposed by 2-3 stops? i.e EI of 12-25?

Are we talking about a properly exposed subject or is this setting used to correct for some metering deficiencies?

I said when I first use REALA (FIRST TIME), I only over exposed by 1/2 stop......LOL! :bsmilie:

Pro Image said:
Hmm, funny that you should want to underexposed your Fuji 800. Maybe you can bring that down for us to print as well.

Nah, I don't underexpose my Fuji 800. I expose them correctly.:)

it is at midlink plaza 2nd level,Stanley does great optical printouts !!

i agree with overexposing negative will get better results becoz we add density to print an overexposed neg which yield nicer contrast+everything la..

y i know ?Coz i owned a noritsu optical machine and printed it for 7 yrs..

Negative print out BEST BEST BEST optically,unless u want to add text or funny things to it..

Scan&print is a different look,although also nice..But IT IS DIFFerent from Optical printing which is optimized for negative.

Try out a roll of fine grain negative and try out the printing at Stanley lab,u will see the diff,unless u shoot rubbish and all OOF la..

ps: some say SLCC is best in singapore and even Batam..

it is the building beside "kim beh" niteclub ! LOL

ok la..it is opposite NAFA academy,nearest MRT should be bugis.

ya..

Negative shooters should really try out Stanley lab as not many optical printing service is available liao,not to mention good quality..

prepare to get blown away when u enlarge a 120 film to 12" !

gave up on film cause thought no mre optical printing in singapore, so shoot slides & digital, no can revisit old friend, mr negative.

denniskee said:
gave up on film cause thought no mre optical printing in singapore, so shoot slides & digital, no can revisit old friend, mr negative.

hehe, you know me so far I did not tell you got Stanley can print optical meh?

Anyway, I feel optical prints looks more pleasing and less sharpen effect, while all the uneven skin surface on the face will not show out, good for model shoot whose face like Mark Lee :bsmilie:

Status
Not open for further replies.