Which equipment to bring?

Status
Not open for further replies.

gavintan

Aug 18, 2007
United Kingdom
Hey guys? I've got a society gathering coming up this friday? Need to snap some candid shots and potrait photographs...Got to ask u guys ard here...i intend to bring my Canon 50 F1.8 lens, Canon 70-200mm F4 L lens and my 580exII flash to go with my 400d...This is my 1st outing shot...need to build up some confidence...am i bringing the right equipment? Other lens i have are the 400d kit lens 18-55mm and Canon 17-40mm L usm lens...The venue of my photography is a ballroom... hope u guys can help me out...hehe:bsmilie:

Me no expert.....;p but suggest ur 50mm f1.8, 17-40mm L..... don't feel that your 70-200mm L would be of much use in a Ballroom..... unless planning to take photos of ppl on stage......

Anyone else have some other suggestion ?? :D

Right equipment? Pardon me saying but the right equipment are the ones that get the pictures you want. If you are unable to decide, bring the 17-40, 50 and 70-200. Each of them has their own characteristics and the gathering should provide you with a chance to find out their effects/purposes in a ballroom setting. What's more, you will also find out which lenses get used more and if there is a similar setting in future, you will know what not to bring.

Just my $0.02.

Indoor ballroom? 50mm and 17-40mm with your flash will do

Bring full battle order... :bsmilie:

I mean serious... What others recommend you are the lens / equipment they are comfortable of using for the situation... You need to find out what are the equipment YOU are comfortable with.

i will also bring everything... :) except that 18-55 kit lens.. since there's 17-40

50mm and flash is important. Very nice potrait with this lens. 70-200 for candid long shots for more natural feel. Some people are camera shy.. when you point your 50mm at them, becomes un-natural.

For me, i always use 50mm and my faithful 18-200mm.

I dunno if 400D got good noise control. If you can shot at iso 1600 and above, minimized the flash for better ambience.

Flash must bring,50mm + 17-40L should be enough

In additional to Redsun's recommendation, bring additional 1 to 2 pcs of battery for your camera, and at least 3 to 5 GB of CF cards. You still have enough time to buy them now.

I agree with full battle order. Recently I went to a wedding dinner with a 50mm 1.8, 18-200mm 4-5.6, a weak battery and no flash. I didn't expect to be a secondary photgrapher u see. I expect to take for fun. Tell you, i just loose all my confidence almost immediately when they ask me to me the secondary photographer.

After a while, u will know what u want after a while. Now I know I just need these two lens and probably my flash and wide angle lens, and I'll be good to go.

If you have a 300mm lens, bring it as well. Like I said: full battle order. I shoot church photography with 300mm when the situation calls for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.