Which entry-level DSLR is suitable for me?

Goliath1978

Sep 3, 2012
Bedok
Hi,

I started this thread to get advice from experts on which entry-level DSLR should I get for myself. I am looking at Nikon D3100 and Canon 1100D at the moment because they are quite cheap nowadays in the market. I even saw these two models been sold at Challenger at low prices but I think those prices are for members only. Furthermore, I heard from a forumer in HWZ Forum that TK Photo is selling Nikon D5100 at $799.

Anyway, I only use a camera for overseas holidays and some outdoor activities. I am not considered as a heavy user in a sense. But I still prefer high-quality photos after using my Kodak digital camera for 4 years and 6 months. I am not pleased with the photo quality of a point-and-shoot camera anymore.

Another thing! One of my friends is using a Canon 1000D but he never bought a dry box or dry cabinet. He just stashed it in a makeshift box and put it in his wardrobe. He kept there for 2 years and recently used it for a trip to Japan. He said it is working fine and no problem with the camera. Wow... :)

So which DSLR should I get since I am still a newbie to this photography hobby? Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
ALL entry-level DSLR cameras are suitable for you. As discussed in the previous thread that you crashed, READ THE STICKIES. That's why we have a "FAQ: What DSLR to get?" Sticky. The link is here:

http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/newbies-corner/787393-faq-dslr-camera-buy.html

Do note that you are severely limiting yourself by only looking at Canon and Nikon. Sony, Pentax and even the mirrorless cameras such as the m4/3 or the Sony NEX deliver great images.

The Sony NEX-5N, Pentax K-5, Sony A57, etc, use the same sensor as the Nikon D7000 for example, and are quite affordable. Do consider bang for buck features like buit-in antishake, 10/12fps shooting, fast autofocus in liveview mode, etc, which Canon and Nikon cannot offer. Go to the shops and try them out.

when i bought my first DSLR to "try out"...it was a $300 D40 with kit lens...I thought it was all worth every penny...
like what Rashkae has mentioned, do read up...and see what you really need in the feature etc...everyone has different needs and values...try out in the shops, take some pictures, play with the settings etc...

And do note... If it's just for higher-quality pictures when traveling, the NEX and m4/3 will do nicely.

I see. How much is a Nex or M4/3? Cheaper than an DSLR?

I see. How much is a Nex or M4/3? Cheaper than an DSLR?

Depends on the model. There are many out there. Go to the shops/call the shops and ask. Many priceguides on CS as well. Do some reading.

Don't get me wrong - I'm not trying to sound rude. Just that your question pops up about twice a week, and we're trying to get people to read the great info others have previously shared instead of spoonfeeding stuff that's been asked to death already.

Go do your research before you purshcase anything from the shop.

I always recommend to purchase a second hand body if you're keen to go into dslr. Why?because you never know if this is going to be a long term investment or short one. Unless you are very sure, I would recommend any of the 500 to 650Ds, or equivalent Nikon's. Can easily get it for below 600 bucks for a 500 or 550d. Then get a 50mm f1.8. Shoot until you get the basics of photography then change a better body if required. By then you likely lose 20, 30 percent value of your body when reselling it.

So your total outlay is not more then 700 bucks. Enough to last for 2 years and more.

I always recommend to purchase a second hand body if you're keen to go into dslr. Why?because you never know if this is going to be a long term investment or short one. Unless you are very sure, I would recommend any of the 500 to 650Ds, or equivalent Nikon's. Can easily get it for below 600 bucks for a 500 or 550d. Then get a 50mm f1.8. Shoot until you get the basics of photography then change a better body if required. By then you likely lose 20, 30 percent value of your body when reselling it.

So your total outlay is not more then 700 bucks. Enough to last for 2 years and more.

I owned Nex-7 myself, i buy it because it's my dream Camera (NEX) but i found that it's hard to used and i haven't Yet to fully bring out the camera. as for new entry like what crysmeth said.. go for Canon EOS-650D if you got that enough budget.. get the 18-135mm kit lens, although it's expensive but i doubt you will love the Quality of the image taken even without a photography knowledge. i heard my colleague said that comex throw in the 55-210mm lens for EOS-650D 18-135MM Kit lens for $1500... it's worth

I owned Nex-7 myself, i buy it because it's my dream Camera (NEX) but i found that it's hard to used and i haven't Yet to fully bring out the camera. as for new entry like what crysmeth said.. go for Canon EOS-650D if you got that enough budget.. get the 18-135mm kit lens, although it's expensive but i doubt you will love the Quality of the image taken even without a photography knowledge. i heard my colleague said that comex throw in the 55-210mm lens for EOS-650D 18-135MM Kit lens for $1500... it's worth

That's quite expensive for a camera lacking so many features and with poorer high ISO than the competition

it's actually very easy to use and navigate. you're just too used to entry-level controls that you don't know exactly what you have in your hands ;)

m32t8103 said:

Honestly, my 2 cents worth. Comex deals are to clear old stock. The kit lens 1855 is hardly one to shout at. Neither is the 55 250. IMHO, that's an awful lens as the IQ is simply horrid. The 18 135, no comments as i don't use that. Never like the idea of getting a one lens fit all.

Best budget lens? For sure its the 50mm. From 100.bucks you can own this fast basic lens. No zoom, but it'll make you a better photographer. Use your legs as the zoom then. Great nifty lens.

If i just started photography, ill buy an old 500d or 40d and a second hand 50mm 1.8.

crysmeth said:
Honestly, my 2 cents worth. Comex deals are to clear old stock. The kit lens 1855 is hardly one to shout at. Neither is the 55 250. IMHO, that's an awful lens as the IQ is simply horrid. The 18 135, no comments as i don't use that. Never like the idea of getting a one lens fit all.

Best budget lens? For sure its the 50mm. From 100.bucks you can own this fast basic lens. No zoom, but it'll make you a better photographer. Use your legs as the zoom then. Great nifty lens.

If i just started photography, ill buy an old 500d or 40d and a second hand 50mm 1.8.

The various kit lenses are simply cheap and easy to use general purpose lenses for most newcomers to use.

Most people will find them adequate. Keen photographers may grow past them and upgrade later.

Just pick one that you feel very comfortable using it in terms of ease of use and suitability of the functions available to play with.
It doesn't matter whichever DSLR u use. Just be sure to remind yourself, they are just tools to take photos. It's the photographer's eye that captures.

Hi,

I started this thread to get advice from experts on which entry-level DSLR should I get for myself. I am looking at Nikon D3100 and Canon 1100D at the moment because they are quite cheap nowadays in the market. I even saw these two models been sold at Challenger at low prices but I think those prices are for members only. Furthermore, I heard from a forumer in HWZ Forum that TK Photo is selling Nikon D5100 at $799.

Anyway, I only use a camera for overseas holidays and some outdoor activities. I am not considered as a heavy user in a sense. But I still prefer high-quality photos after using my Kodak digital camera for 4 years and 6 months. I am not pleased with the photo quality of a point-and-shoot camera anymore.

Another thing! One of my friends is using a Canon 1000D but he never bought a dry box or dry cabinet. He just stashed it in a makeshift box and put it in his wardrobe. He kept there for 2 years and recently used it for a trip to Japan. He said it is working fine and no problem with the camera. Wow... :)

So which DSLR should I get since I am still a newbie to this photography hobby? Thanks in advance.

please keep in mind that owning DSLR need maintenance and proper storage (cleaning regularly and drybox or cabinet).

After checking out the dry boxes and dry cabinets at Challenger (Funan) yesterday, I found that the maintenance cost is way too high for me to own a DSLR camera. I also checked out TK Foto and I found that many people simply just bought compact digital cameras, DSLR lens and camera bags there. A pair of teenagers were checking out those expensive cameras that look like compact digital ones but the lens can be changed. Haiz...

I guess a new compact digital camera is good enough for me at the moment. I can simply chuck it one side and forget about it. No need maintenance.

Goliath1978 said:
After checking out the dry boxes and dry cabinets at Challenger (Funan) yesterday, I found that the maintenance cost is way too high for me to own a DSLR camera. I also checked out TK Foto and I found that many people simply just bought compact digital cameras, DSLR lens and camera bags there. A pair of teenagers were checking out those expensive cameras that look like compact digital ones but the lens can be changed. Haiz...

I guess a new compact digital camera is good enough for me at the moment. I can simply chuck it one side and forget about it. No need maintenance.

Wanna take a bet?

:bsmilie:

Goliath1978 said:

Actually every camera needs maintenance. Even a compact camera has similar components with a DSLR.. glass (lens), image sensor, etc.

Fungus grow on any available medium + supportive environment.. It doesn't differentiate types, be it compact or DSLR.

Well unless nowadays got so-atas type of fungus, don't wanna infect compacts, only choose DSLRs :p