Which Entry Level DSLR for consider?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RyanG

Apr 17, 2008
Under the Stars
Hi all.

I am relatively new to DSLR but had been shooting photographs for about 1.5years with my DSC. Personally, I love to shoot nature and landscape and sometimes I get to shoot for events like mini-concerts and outdoors activities, of course, I borrowed a DSLR from my friend for those latter.

Now I am thinking I should own a DSLR but due to budget constraints, I cannot afford those high-end ones. I am actually thinking of Nikon D60 or Sony A200 as canon which was actually my preferred choice but the price is way off my budget.

Or is there anyone who can recommend me? I'm open to suggestions. :)

Personally, I prefer Canon. You can try out the 400D or the new 450D. I got the latter and its really fun using it, quality wise its great and it has many notable features like : live view, 12 Megapixel CMOS sensor, and a big 3 inch LCD screen.

Hi all.

I am relatively new to DSLR but had been shooting photographs for about 1.5years with my DSC. Personally, I love to shoot nature and landscape and sometimes I get to shoot for events like mini-concerts and outdoors activities, of course, I borrowed a DSLR from my friend for those latter.

Now I am thinking I should own a DSLR but due to budget constraints, I cannot afford those high-end ones. I am actually thinking of Nikon D60 or Sony A200 as canon which was actually my preferred choice but the price is way off my budget.

Or is there anyone who can recommend me? I'm open to suggestions. :)

What is your budget to get a complete set?

What is your budget to get a complete set?

1k or max I can go is only 1.2 or 1.3k.

And not forgetting I need a dry cabinet too which has to be inside my budget too.

can consider D60... but D60 cannot AF with older lens...
Sorry i am a nikon fan, i've seen some pics taken with D60 and i must say they are not bad...

As this is my 1st time, I want to get something to start out. Obviously, I need something but not too costly at the moment as I'm still a student.

In the time to come, I will consider upgrading of course. What's the price range now for D60?

Actually, I am considering only 3 brands, Nikon, Sony or Canon. The camera model doesn't need to be a brand new release like Canon 450D, if it can do wonders and fit my budget, bravo!

As this is my 1st time, I want to get something to start out. Obviously, I need something but not too costly at the moment as I'm still a student.

In the time to come, I will consider upgrading of course. What's the price range now for D60?

Actually, I am considering only 3 brands, Nikon, Sony or Canon. The camera model doesn't need to be a brand new release like Canon 450D, if it can do wonders and fit my budget, bravo!

Go for a 2nd hand D40 or D40x.. in the B&S.. should be good enough. D60 I think is about 1K+-, dry cab 36L at about $100+-.

At the Nikon forum, I saw the price guide of D40x Kit (18-55mm VR) going for $890 @ AP, updated Feb'08. Looks like no freebies. :(

Actually quite tempting. I intend to get brand new camera as I will treasure it more for the fact of the amount of hard $$ I'm investing it in. :)

it is less than 890 lah...
i got my D60 1000 only

it is less than 890 lah...
i got my D60 1000 only

:D

Really, what's the rate now and where do I get it? For your D60, where did you get it from? and what freebies was given?

And not forgetting I need a dry cabinet too which has to be inside my budget too.

You can buy a 400D 18-55 kit with your budget. You can save for the dry cabinet later. I have been using my DSLR for almost a year now without using a dry cabinet, I am using silica gel. I actually bought a dry cabinet last month but have not been using it yet ;p

Entry level camera:Nikon - D60Canon - 450DSony - A200/A350Pentax - K200DOlympus - E420Go have a feel of all these and see which is more comfortable to you. Do consider the layout of the buttons and functions.Personally, I would go for the Sony A350 which comes with live view and in body image stabiliser. It's definitely worth every penny spend. But don't take my word for it cos you're the one using the cam. Go to the shops to see which you prefer & is more comfortable with. Do not be 'brain washed' by the sales person as they tend to sell you something which will yield them higher profit/commission.

I suggest you purchase a Prosumer camera with flash hot shoe. A Prosumer camera like FZ50 can bring you a long way.
You might face even more limitation with the lack of lenses should you get a DSLR.

I agree, prosumers can work wonders too, especially if you don't have a high budget -- it would be difficult to expand your range of lenses later on and in the end the things that you can shoot will be limited.

However, if a DSLR is your target, perhaps you'd like to also try out other brands, like Sony, Olympus and Pentax. Canons, Nikons and the like are definitely more popular with DSLR photographers, but you shouldn't base your judgement on that -- go down and try out more cameras, perhaps you'll like something that you wouldn't have found out about otherwise.

Brands like Olympus are offering very affordable DSLRs -- for example, Olympus's newest DSLR (excluding the Professional E-3), the E-510, has many features like Live View, a dual card slot, big screen, Image Stabiliser, etc. And the dual lens kit only goes for $1299!

Baseline is, go try out the cameras before deciding on your brand :) Buy one that suits your needs!

Thx for the input.

I will get my fren who noes camera stuff to go with me to try our the various brands you guys had recommended.

Got think of prosumer but I still want to get a DSLR thou. ;)

Nikon and canon have been around for ages, they have a wide range of DSLR lenses and accessories to choose from. if u wan to get 2nd hand lenses, it's also easier to get from the B&S section here... u can just pop in and take a look... :D

Actually i dun really like liveview for DSLR, feel that they shld be more for compacts (i have a canon ixus 866IS also)... anyway lifeview also cannot show the whole frame right? call me a freak but i still prefer to look at my viewfinder rather than lifeview even if i had one for my DSLR, feels funny when u hold a DSLR and look at the LCD when composing, waste battery also...

Using liveview on a DSLR probably just give you more camera/hand-shake since you have to hold it further away from the body (unless your eyes have better than macro lens focusing distance =P). Doesn't make sense given the weight of DSLRs.

With 1-1.2K, try not to hit near it after buying the body and first lens. Because there are still some important accessories like: dry cabinet, cleaning kit, CF/SD cards, camera bag, card reader, .. Don't skimp on these else your initial DSLR experience will be very miserable!! So maybe a second hand body or lens is an option too. I remember seeing $750 for D40, wah so low, as cheap as prosumer!! Then now after a 400D and some accessories..., I'm already like 3x over that $750 budget ><

I'm also a newbie in DSLR and bought a Nikon D60, it works for me lah! Plenty of functions like camera editing tools to work with. Let us know what camera you bought. Peace!

actually if you on a budget, why not consider 2nd bodies like a 350d or 400d since you're a canon fan.
if the kit lens worries you then get a better lens 2nd hand from the b&s section.
this will help you keep the overall price of your dslr equipment down in case you ever lose interest.
as for nikon consider getting a 2nd hand d80 body in order to grow with more choices of lens.

Status
Not open for further replies.