Which editing software to use.

YD KM

Apr 4, 2013
Singapore
Hi masters @ Clubsnap. I'm a new photographer and currently using the canon default software to edit my photos. Like to enquire with you guys which is a better editing software for amateur?

There is no such thing as 'better for amateur'. Use the Canon software, it is free and came with your camera. It can handle a lot of things but keeps the entire process simple.
Other tools costs money (for purchase or rental) and are more complex. Unless you know why you need them, just use what you have. Keep in mind: special effects don't make a picture.

There are too many software out there... You can do a search.
Usually the better ones or should i say..with more functions ones will require you to purchase them (Some offers trial period. For you to try out).

Better? There is no better..Its pretty much down to individual.. Some may find this useful..some may not..Some may find this easier or more user friendly to him/her..some may not.

The more popular ones could be those found on the Adobe website. But yea..its really up to you. If the Canon default software can provide what you need..then that's all you need.
:)

Hi masters @ Clubsnap. I'm a new photographer and currently using the canon default software to edit my photos. Like to enquire with you guys which is a better editing software for amateur?

I'm not sure how you define "better editing software for amateur"?

if you look for free software but can do a lot of things, than try open source software like GIMP

Software like Photoshop, Lightroom, are kind of industry standard, it is not free, and lot of amateurs and professionals are using them.

there are also Aperture, DxO, etc, each have own users and supporters.

so boil down to what you intend to achieve and do you have a budget for that?

Can try the Picasa, it free.
Quite easy to use, with color filters etc. Limited functions but enough for some light touch up, adjust brightness etc.
Normally camera come with some basic software too.

Quite nos ppl use Adobe Lightroom. I using it, enough for most editing. But not free.
There also ADCSee etc.

If can't afford Adobe Photoshop, can try GIMP. Quite nos of plugin for GIMP to enhance the functions.
Those need sometime to master it.

Last edited:
Yeah, like others have said, it's hard to point you to an 'amateur' editing app. If you're happy with your free Canon software, then keep using it for now. If you find you want something more powerful, look up Lightroom - among many other paid editing apps. I personally found Lightroom very nice to use when I was new to photography. Don't get me wrong, I'm still an amateur :D Just with a bit more experience now - but with no experience, I felt very comfortable with LR

If you are looking something really simple, ypu can try photoscape. It is free too.

If you say better, then from your message you mean better than Canon default software.
You can tell others, in what areas you find the Canon default software to be lacking. So that they can help you.

Expensive and complicated editing software does not necessarily mean best for every individual. YMMV.
I know of at least one person who spent a lot on Adobe Photoshop, but who never uses it now. Because it is too complicated to use and a hassle to learn.

A hobby should not be so exhausting and a needless headache. There are actually people who make money teaching you how to use this complicated editing software. And too many self-proclaimed "experts" in Photoshop.

There are many free photo editing software on the Internet. Find the one you like.

Please read the relevant sticky in the Digital Darkroom section

I guess what you guys said are true... No point buying so many software and end up not using. Thanks for all the valuable pointers n tips ya. Cheers!!

paint.net, loads of plugins to download too. been using picasa a lot lately too. All free. :D

I have lightroom and ps element, but I still prefer to use Canon free software. haahaha Love the simplicity of the software. :bsmilie:

Even the Snapseed app is pretty decent if you edit on your phone!

talking about post processing...is apple desk top a better computer for doing that? I find that I my HP laptop don't do the job well

talking about post processing...is apple desk top a better computer for doing that? I find that I my HP laptop don't do the job well

I prefer to use Macs, but that's a personal thing -- you might not like it at all.

And NO, there is no good reason you can't get good results on a Windows machine. Most of the popular software is available for both Win and Mac. If your HP laptop happens to be old and slow, of course your PP work is going to go slower than on a blazing fast new desktop.

Like what Edwin had said, most of the popular software are available for both mac and win, therefore, should be equally good. The only difference will be the performance of the laptop as well as calibrating the monitor.

Define "Better". If both screens are calibrated then only the system hardware (and some configuration settings) become the limiting factor, the results will be identical.
Older systems will just take more time. Up to you whether you want to pay for a new laptop / desktop to gain maybe 3 minutes less processing / exporting time in a batch run.

Define "Better". If both screens are calibrated then only the system hardware (and some configuration settings) become the limiting factor, the results will be identical.
Older systems will just take more time. Up to you whether you want to pay for a new laptop / desktop to gain maybe 3 minutes less processing / exporting time in a batch run.

its not the speed that i m complaining about but the color is not as rich and somehow not as bright so doing processing rather difficult.