Which DVD writer to get?

Status
Not open for further replies.

behyx

Jun 15, 2002
SG
want to get a DVD writer, but which one to get?

is the TDK Dual Format +/- 8x DVD Writer @ S$139 good?

Because i have absolutely no idea about the specs of DVD, what is dual format and +/- means?

And how much does a piece of cheap DVD-R and DVD-RW cost?

im currently using the TDK 8x for almost 5months and so far so good. the cheapest 4x blank dvd-r that i bought was $2.90/pc in SLS. the + and - is no longer an issue since most new drives now are dual format. for $139....its really a good price considering that I bought it that time at $299

Can get the TDK 8x at $139? I know someone just got it for $169.

The TDK can write some good 4x DVD-R at 8x, so you can save quite a bit on the media.

You can get Verbatim 4x DVD-R at $2 or less (in 25 pack), depending on stock and luck. Try level 6, SLS. DVD-RW around $5.

just to check, what size does the DVD-R and DVD-RW come in? 4.7GB?

can i copy dvd movie with this burner...
sorry, dvd burning newbie...

Most media are single-sided, single-layer, which is 4.7GB. I think effective space is 4.3GB (not 100% sure).

You can copy DVD movie if it is not copy-protected, and can squeeze into 4.7GB, as many dvd movie is on single-sided, dual layer disc.

See DVD FAQ:
http://dvddemystified.com/dvdfaq.html

4.7GB is actually 4,700,000,000 bytes

since 1024bytes = 1 kilobyte

4,700,000,000 bytes = 4589843.75 kilobytes

similarly, 1024kilobytes = 1 megabyte

4589843.75 kilobytes = 4482.27.... megabytes

finally, 1024 megabytes = 1 gigabyte

so 4482.27 megabytes = 4.377 gigabytes

sometimes it is rounded off to 4.38 GB

lwm said:
You can copy DVD movie if it is not copy-protected, and can squeeze into 4.7GB, as many dvd movie is on single-sided, dual layer disc.

There is always work around for this thou, there are software to help you to split a dual layer disc for you to burn into single layer DVD-R, however u will need a powerful PC to re-encode the video

I have tried splitting a dual layer, double sided DVD (that's 19GB!) into four and burn into 4 x DVD-R

behyx said:
just to check, what size does the DVD-R and DVD-RW come in? 4.7GB?

If u need more than 4.7GB of space, there are dual layer DVD-writers like the Sony, LG and Benq (soon), but there are no dual layer media in the market yet, and burning will be very slow for dual layer

Wai said:
If u need more than 4.7GB of space, there are dual layer DVD-writers like the Sony, LG and Benq (soon), but there are no dual layer media in the market yet, and burning will be very slow for dual layer

Single-side dual-layer media is already available, but @ $17 a pop.

wow... 19gb per piece..

but very risky... once the disc got problem, all your 19gb data GONE!!! haha

but 4.7gb is about enough.. don't be to greedy lo... haha

recommend you a cheap to buy disc. SLS the top floor... quite good service, Very good prices...

yamcake said:
recommend you a cheap to buy disc. SLS the top floor... quite good service, Very good prices...

ya..i got most of my disc there, can ask for discount somemore, just went there yesterday to get some more DVDRW

those want to buy blank DVR-R, can try chamoxa at funan. they are selling 10pieces of mitsubishi 4x at $22 and comes with jewel cases.

espn said:
Go for plextors :thumbsup:

Plextor is good if you plan to use it with branded media, quality drive + quality media = most reliable disc

however, if you want to use those cheap, bulk pack media, the results may be worst than what you get with a TDK

this is because plextor firmware are more optimised for branded media, while brands like TDK will tweak their firmware for better optimisation with both branded and cheaper media.

Pioneer is another good drive, but the price is :sweat:

I wouldn't recommend those super cheap ones though. I'll probably stick with the Verbatim, maxell etc, and yeah, chamoxa or the shop on 6th floor sls (Z-nix??) is prob the best place to get :)

behyx said:

And how much does a piece of cheap DVD-R and DVD-RW cost?

I am also considering buying a DVDwriter since I had lost 50 gig of data recently... :sweat: But dunno which brand is most preferred.

Wai said:
Plextor is good if you plan to use it with branded media, quality drive + quality media = most reliable disc

however, if you want to use those cheap, bulk pack media, the results may be worst than what you get with a TDK

this is because plextor firmware are more optimised for branded media, while brands like TDK will tweak their firmware for better optimisation with both branded and cheaper media.

Pioneer is another good drive, but the price is :sweat:

how much is the so called quality media?

Status
Not open for further replies.