Which DSLR?

Status
Not open for further replies.

prodriver

May 4, 2008
Singapore
www.flickr.com
Hi, i am thinking of getting a DSLR (not intending to upgrade within the next 4 years), below are the models that i have in mind (pls give me some guidances, i'm kind of new to photography) ;p

Canon EOS 40D?

or the coming soon Nikon D90?

Pls recommend.
Thanks;)

Actually, is what you want from the camera, it's fuctions, it's not what awards the camera gets, it's your own pefs.

40D and D90 is of a different class. Maybe you should compare the D300 with the 40D instead. Anyway, I would suggest that you try the cams in a shop to see which suits your best. The functions, feel, function button location are things you might want to see if you're comfortable with. You may also wan to consider getting other brands beside Nikon & Canon too. Sony, Olympus & Pentax have great cameras too.

Hi, i am thinking of getting a new car (not intending to upgrade within the next 4 years), below are the models that i have in mind (pls give me some guidance, as i'm kind of new to driving) ;p

Porsche 911 Turbo?
or the Nissan GT-R?

Pls recommend.
Thanks;)

:bsmilie:
Seriously, do you think I can get an honest objective answer to this question?

ok... anyway, apologies for the sarcasm. I'm using cars as an analogy, because that is another area of interest of mine.
The point is: Each car make and model has its own strengths and weaknesses. Some have better brand exclusivity; some have more practicality; some are better built; some are faster... etc and the list goes on...
at least you must let others know what sort of criteria you have in mind.
1) Budget
2) Brand preference (perhaps you owned another camera of this brand before, or a relative has lenses to share)
3) Features preferred (fast auto-focus, movie mode, live-view, etc)
etc etc etc...

Last edited:
Hi, i am thinking of getting a new car (not intending to upgrade within the next 4 years), below are the models that i have in mind (pls give me some guidance, as i'm kind of new to driving) ;p

Porsche 911 Turbo?
or the Nissan GT-R?

Pls recommend.
Thanks;)

A ferrari would be the best choice then. :bsmilie:

Porsche 911 Turbo?
or the Nissan GT-R?

Pls recommend.
Thanks;)

Can do a poll! :bsmilie:

Hi, i am thinking of getting a DSLR (not intending to upgrade within the next 4 years), below are the models that i have in mind (pls give me some guidances, i'm kind of new to photography) ;p

Canon EOS 40D?

Pls recommend.
Thanks;)

Please understand that we have a question exactly like this almost every day... Do a search, research the models online, and most importantly, TRY THE CAMERA IN THE SHOPS. Then buy the one you feel happiest with. Don't ask for other people to tell you what to buy. Think for yourself.

Koenigsegg/Bugatti Veyron = Canon 1Ds MkIII
Ferrari = Nikon D3
Lamborghini = Nikon D700
Porsche = Canon 5D
xxxxxxxx = Nikon D300
xxxxxxxx = Canon 40D
Nissan GT-R = Nikon D90
xxxxxxxx = Canon 450
and the list goes on....
off-topic here...

Koenigsegg/Bugatti Veyron = Canon 1Ds MkIII
Ferrari = Nikon D3
Lamborghini = Nikon D700
Porsche = Canon 5D
xxxxxxxx = Nikon D300
xxxxxxxx = Canon 40D
Nissan GT-R = Nikon D90
xxxxxxxx = Canon 450
and the list goes on....
off-topic here...

Hmm, a GT-R would suffice for me, but it's a bit too beng. Give me a Prius. What would be the camera equivalent? Any environmentally friendly cameras out there?

you all rank D90 so high ah?
TS, don't just think of only cannon and nikon there still others brand
like sony, pentex, olympus and on and on.

you all rank D90 so high ah?
TS, don't just think of only cannon and nikon there still others brand
like sony, pentex, olympus and on and on.

Because one is Dark Side, one is Bright side.... the rest all Outside.... :bsmilie:

Seriously to TS, go try out the cam and usually, you will know the answer after that..... your heart will usually tell you the choice after trying..... trust yourself.......... :lovegrin:

do research.Have DSLRs from all manufacturers in mind, not just the Ns and Cs. :bsmilie: Narrow them down and go to the shops and test out. Also go to webbies such as Dpreview.

I took about 4 months to choose my A200. Well worth it!
:)

Porsche 911 Turbo?
or the Nissan GT-R?

Pls recommend.
Thanks;)

ok... anyway, apologies for the sarcasm. I'm using cars as an analogy, because that is another area of interest of mine.
The point is: Each car make and model has its own strengths and weaknesses. Some have better brand exclusivity; some have more practicality; some are better built; some are faster... etc and the list goes on...
at least you must let others know what sort of criteria you have in mind.
1) Budget
2) Brand preference (perhaps you owned another camera of this brand before, or a relative has lenses to share)
3) Features preferred (fast auto-focus, movie mode, live-view, etc)
etc etc etc...

Hi, nice example u have to describe, actually i'm also into cars;).. ok back to topic, to answer ur question:

1) Budget is around 2k.
2) Canon and nikon would be my preferred brands.
3) having recording of movies is not necessary
as for live view, it might be good to have
fast auto focus? i thought focusing is done by the lens?

Thanks

Hi guys, thanks for all ur replies. as for which car, it would be good to own a koenigsegg, however we cant get one in Spore, audi r8 would do... HAHA
btw, just wanna clear a doubt, is D90 using the same sensor as D300, anybody?

I'd like to share when I was choosing which dslr to buy 2-3 yrs back... If this helps then good, if not, just discard my rants...

I always have this in my mind... Lens are forever, body come & go every year or few years.

Firstly... Get a few books and read all you need to know about photogaphy & it's gears... It good to be well informed before plunging $$$ to the shops...

Have a rough idea of what kinda photography that you wanna do or like.

Secondly... I looked thru the lens by all the makers/brands. I try to understand why certain lenses are highly regarded, why they are the 'dream' lens, why certain lens are frown upon. Try to understand differences in main brand lens compared to 3rd party lens(of the same range). I looked at all the available lens from all brands at that time. Read the reviews and all. What type of lens are for what type of photography.

Then I make a wish list of the lenses that I want from every brand(eg. brand A= 10-20, 18-75, 70-200, brand B= 12-24, 20-85, 50-200) based on my type of photography I want to pursue. Then I list down the price of these lenses that I want. I then decide how much I'm actually willing to spend(current & future) on them, as a hobbyist/enthusiast, after looking at the figures. I then narrow down to the brands that are within my current & future budget.

Thirdly... From those brands, I look at the available bodies. Held & tested them out. See which one feels better... Compare the specs. Decide which specs I'm willing to compromise and which I'm not. Looked at the prices, are they within my budget or not... Consider to buy the body with the kit lens or with the lens in wish list... Checked again my budget...

Then on I bought my first dslr. And the purchasing journey continue till I've gotten the lenses in my wish list... and other accessories... hehe...

I'm just sharing with you and all of another way of choosing our camera & system. I'm sure thare are many other ways to go about it.

Have fun along the way. I sure did!

Hi, nice example u have to describe, actually i'm also into cars;).. ok back to topic, to answer ur question:

1) Budget is around 2k.
2) Canon and nikon would be my preferred brands.
3) having recording of movies is not necessary
as for live view, it might be good to have
fast auto focus? i thought focusing is done by the lens?

Thanks

ok for a budget of around 2K there are a number of possibilities:
1) Nikon's D60 or D80 (no live view)
2) Canon's 450D or 40D (have live view)
3) not forgetting Sony, Pentax, Olympus, etc.

- your lens choice would be dependent on the type of photography you like.
Start with the kit lens first. 18-55mm should be sufficient as a walkaround lens. Only when you're more serious, then spend more on the exotic glass.

- don't forget accessories like flash, tripod. Not cheap, y'know? ;)

- auto focus is done by the camera body. The lens is the slave. The camera body is the master.
etc etc etc...

Canon EOS 40D?

Pls recommend.
Thanks;)

i'm just going to dump my opinion here that asking others without any elaboration of what you are looking for, either suggests that you do not know, and need some form of reassurance that your lack of knowledge is alright. it is not - or that you know what you want, but you just are happy enough to let everyone rub their slanted opinions off on you just for the sake of it.

these days, most cameras are decent, and the differences in performance are really marginal for the consumer-user. so read dpreview, read imaging resource, go down to the shops, cop a feel of those cameras you think are worth it. then clarify your queries about statements made in a positive manner here if you think fit. asking "what should i buy" is just going to end up with fanboys pushing their brands, and a waste of everybody's time.

asking "what should i buy" is just going to end up with fanboys pushing their brands, and a waste of everybody's time.

Plus, it becomes obvious you can't think for yourself...

Status
Not open for further replies.