Which DSLR to buy?

Jarsofclay

Oct 26, 2010
Jurong West
Hello people, I'm extremely new in the field of photography, but am interested to pick it up as my hobby.

I want to get a DSLR, but i can't decide which brand and which model to buy.
I have about a budget of $1400-1600.
Can anybody guide me along ?

Welcome to CS. It really depends on what you are shooting. Go to the price guide section so you would be able to see the different prices for cam bodies and lenses. Good luck!!!

Hello people, I'm extremely new in the field of photography, but am interested to pick it up as my hobby.

I want to get a DSLR, but i can't decide which brand and which model to buy.
I have about a budget of $1400-1600.
Can anybody guide me along ?

Take a look at:

Pentax K-r
Pentax K-x
Canon 550D
Nikon D5000
Nikon D90
Sony A5xx series
Sony A33
Sony A55
Olumpus E-PL1
Panasonic GF-1
Panasonic G2, G10.
Samsung NX10, NX100
Sony NEX 3, NEX 5.

Have fun.

Thanks people. Anyway a friend of mine was telling me about Nikon D3100. What do you guys think about it? Comparing D3100 to Nikon 550D which would be a better choice?

I think you are referring to Canon 550D!

Google that: Canon 550D vs Nikon D3100

Thanks people. Anyway a friend of mine was telling me about Nikon D3100. What do you guys think about it? Comparing D3100 to Nikon 550D which would be a better choice?

Nikon D3100 is good. In fact I also recommend it to my friend who is just as new to photography.

Canon 550D is also good.

They are just different brands but the features and functions are the same.

Best is you go down to the camera shop and have a look see. See which one feels more comfortable when you're holding it.:cool:

Take a look at:

Pentax K-r
Pentax K-x
Canon 550D
Nikon D5000
Nikon D90
Sony A5xx series
Sony A33
Sony A55
Olumpus E-PL1
Panasonic GF-1
Panasonic G2, G10.
Samsung NX10, NX100
Sony NEX 3, NEX 5.

Have fun.

This list probably sums up all the models that can be had within your stated budget.
For prices, check in the respective price guide section.
For review, go to well regarded sites like :
DPreview : http://www.dpreview.com/
Imaging Resource : http://www.imaging-resource.com/IMCOMP/COMPS01.HTM
Read up on what the sites have to say, but more importantly, form your own opinion based on the sample images presented by the sites.

The Pentax Kr is a great deal at ~$1070 with a 18-55mm and 55-200mm kit lenses. Leaving you money for other stuff. Very well featured and good performance at a very good price.
http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=778924

The other cameras listed are very good as well.
Do the research, and go down to a shop to try out the short listed cameras.

i would suggest that you go down to the shop to feel the 2 cameras that you are aiming for. D3100 and 550D . . . this 2 are good cameras . . .

Please bear in mind that you may need to get the following too :
1 dry cabinet
2 tripod
3 bag
4 etc

Canon 550D might be a good choice :thumbsup: it's my first dslr, by far no problem with it ;) anyway some research on it might help!

just to remind u D3100 doens't hv an AF motor so u might find it a bit difficult to get some particular lens, i'll say go for D90 if ur keen to nikon, the new price should be almost the same with 550D now :D

My advise (as always) is to go down to the shop. Pick up those cameras that are within your budget and test...

But before that you might want to look into the following,

1) What type of photo you would like to shoot?
2) What is important to you, what is good to have, what feature is not really needed?
3) Lens and accessories lineup (original and third party)
4) Resale value (in case you would want to sell your camera)

When you go to the shop for testing of the camera, be sure to look into the following,

1) User interface (whether you like it or not)
2) Ergonomic (this is something I believe no one could advise, it is up to you, whether you like the overall layout of the camera, its feel, the position of the buttons, the general ID - in short, whether the camera look nice, feels good, and if you are comfortable with it.)

Hope that is useful.

I am going to photograph on mostly people and scenery. Is Canon 550D versatile enough for that?

Well the 550D will be more than enough for your current needs, and most likely can last you much longer than you would expect it to be :)

I am going to photograph on mostly people and scenery. Is Canon 550D versatile enough for that?
All cameras listed are versatile. I have yet to see a newbie in photography who is able to point out a significant shortage in features and functions in any of the entry level cameras. Upgrade your knowledge so that you can use your camera and get the pictures that you want. Keep in mind: no camera can read your mind. It's your job to tell the camera what to do :)
Read up more, people have posted many links. Read up about the concept of DSLR (interchangeable lenses!). Go to the shops and have hands-on test, if you come across certain terms use Google to find out the meaning. Don't get blinded by marketing stuffs like higher frames per second (fps) and 101 focus points and whatnot. All entry level cameras are more than capable of taking good pictures. If the pictures turns out bad in 90% the problem is behind the viewfinder :)

wait for the nikon d7000 and see what's the price first.maybe a bit out of your budget but worth it.:p

Alright, So can anyone suggest some places to get the Canon 550D?
Havery Norman?

I saw this website http://www.bargaincity.com.sg/canon-550d-1855mm-p-1145.html selling Canon 550D, did anyone bought anything from this place before? is it trustable?

I've decide to buy the Canon 550D, together with a 2 year warranty extension and Dry cabinet.
As a newbie do i see lack anything?

Thanks people

There is a list of reputable shops in the Marketplace - Price Guides.
Imho, the extended warranty is not necessary. Finally it's nothing but a bet with a bit unfair conditions: you have you pay upfront whereas Harvey Norman only needs to pay if something happens. Secondly, you will have to go to HN for this service, Canon Singapore will not honour the extended warranty (only the normal 12 months period). But: HN is a shop, shops want to sell, not to process warranty claims. How happy will they be to help you? Will they send it to Canon Service Center Singapore or Japan? How long do you want to wait?
Also, as long as you are not totally clumsy and neglecting you don't need this HN warranty. Use the money to get the other things suggested: dry cabinet, cleaning kit, card reader or maybe basic photography course etc. Canon offers an extension by 3 months with online registration (afaik).

Last edited:

All the DSLR can do these genre of photography.

get either one your friend recommended you. ask him/her to go along with u to buy, and for future shoots.