which dslr to buy? canon or nikon?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ongtw

Jun 19, 2008
hi guys,

i'm very new and i've just signed up in this forum. I was wondering whether anyone here can advice me on which dslr camera to purchase? i'm torn between getting a nikon or canon. Please advice.

also for nikon, i'm looking at D80 and for canon, probably a 450D or 40D

For nikon supporters will ask you to buy nikon.
For canon supporters will ask you to buy canon.
So why not made your own choice ??
Go to the shop get a physical feel of the camera.
Read up some reviews and comments on each model.
You can never go wrong with either of this brand. :)

hi guys,

i'm very new and i've just signed up in this forum. I was wondering whether anyone here can advice me on which dslr camera to purchase? i'm torn between getting a nikon or canon. Please advice.

Personally the big difference between the D80 and 450D body are
- D80 has bigger hand grip
- 450D uses CMOS while D80 uses CCD

But then, when choosing Canon or Nikon, we are actually buying the system and not just the bodies alone. If the pros can depend on them to make a living, as a hobbyist, I would have less to worry.

I remember asking the very same question in this forum almost 3-4 years ago when I was buying my 1st DSLR.
Back then I was set on buying the Nikon D200, but as it was unavailable I opted for the Canon 20D and I never regretted that decision.
Ultimately, I think regardless of whatever brand you go for, the fundamental driving force should be your passion towards photography.

I read that many threads have this question discussed.

However, I am thinking of getting a DSLR system.

Please note that if one wants to get a DSLR, one is choosing the "system" rather than branding.

Therefore (but I do not know is there is a lot of users changing from one brand to another) it is important to think twice or thrice before getting a system.

There are few enquiries in my mind, hope that some Gurus can give us (those who are thinking of buying either systems) some enlighten:

i) For lenses, Nikon's have better clarity over Canon for some lenses for some focal length. However, Canon does have USM and L-Lens. However, to build up a system, especially for lenses and flashes, which one more worth it and which one cheaper?

ii) Canon's DSLR can be used with third party lenses but with certain type of mounting. Is that correct? Then what about Nikon? Is nikon's only accept nikkor? Well, there are mountings, but which one has more adaptability?

iii) For long run, we can use Nikon's lenses on Nikon's DSLR and for lenses, we have backward capability. For canon wise, I heard that they have some model of lenses discontinued after a while. In short, Nikon does provide supports in term of the reusability of the lenses in the past and to the future. Canon wise how is it?

iv) Shooting habit. I knew that Nikon is mostly used for landscape and wildlife and Canon sports and night scene. (Do correct if I am wrong because I can't recall well for this). Which one has more flexibility.

v) Nikon has better grip, toughness (in term of weather proof) and Canon has better design and gimmick.

vi) Nikon's launching of new products is always behind their marketing. Canon does do it well- enough stocks when they first launch their products.

vii) They are about the same, and no point looking at pros and cons, just go to any camera shop and have a feel on both brands and choose the one that suit you most. Sometime it is the feels with the camera that can aid you take a better picture with "feels" . Do any of you support this statement?

viii) In term of built in camera processing technique. Nikon tends to give more "noisy" picture in high ISO. Canon tends to give more "digital" look pictures. And the photos taken by Nikon more film like. Well, these are really (including previous points) in small difference and it is hard to tell sometime.

Well, I (and we all know that ) in the end of the day, it is the man who is behind the viewfinder who takes great pictures. But as I have mentioned, we are choosing system. And if we do not like the system after we have made our first purchase, changing a system does cost a bomb.

Anyway, most of the DSLR does have market value for about 18months before new products being launched.

Disclaimer: I am writing all these based on my own opinion. No offence. Some nikon or canon supporters might not like these, but of course, again, I bring these out for discussion purpose only.

hi guys,

Get over D80 and get a D200 when it is selling only at $1.3k now :D

Go to the store and have a look and feel. Get the DSLR brand that you feel suits you best.

Hmm I wonder why you limited yourself to these 2 brands :think:

In any case, brands aren't the most important things, though you might a sense of assurance in terms of product quality. In this aspect, I don't see much difference from canon or nikon.

Honestly, check out the specs thoroughly and get down to a store to try. You need to know which specs fit you best. I must add that Canon and Nikon, although they are rivals, they actually offer different things. In other words, their range of cameras target different groups of users, so you've gotta see which one suits you.

Glenn

Just for fun, i searched for "Nikon" in the title in the marketplace subforum, and repeated the same for "Canon". Nikon had 276 pages, while Canon had 275. But Nikon's last page only had two threads or so. So, surprise surprise, they are about equally popular on CS' buy and sell. :dunno:

Honestly, I'd say... check with your friends and see what they have. Does the majority have Nikon or canon Lens. Reason i say this is cos its only a matter of time you will wanna buy more lens. If you have friends have the lens, you can maybe borrow from them(if they are nice enough) to try it out before buying.

still got olympus, pentax, sony.. all good cameras.. more important is feel with the cam.

but no one cares.. then later complain no this no that, etc.. if you don't do your homework.. and follow the crowd, then be happy with what you get eventually hor

Why do you need people to tell you which to get? Do you let people tell you what girl to marry, what car to buy, what toothbrush to buy, etc?

Something like a DSLR is very interactive. It's best that you get a camera that you feel just "makes sense" and is comfortable for you. And you might want to look beyond the N and C camp.

Like u said each system has their own advantages, so u see what you wana shoot then decide from there.

Get over D80 and get a D200 when it is selling only at $1.3k now :D

Go to the store and have a look and feel. Get the DSLR brand that you feel suits you best.

isn't D200 a very old model?

Rashkae, the answer that i'm looking for is more like what bro james gave. as i'm a newbie, reading previews sometimes doesn't make sense to me. as such i'm posting in forums to see what people have to say about the different cameras since most of the guys here already own a dslr and probably will be able to point out the pros and the cons of what they have got.

Rashkae, the answer that i'm looking for is more like what bro james gave. as i'm a newbie, reading previews sometimes doesn't make sense to me. as such i'm posting in forums to see what people have to say about the different cameras since most of the guys here already own a dslr and probably will be able to point out the pros and the cons of what they have got.

Well, what bro Rashkae said is quite true and we do understand where you are coming from as we were once newbies and in a situation like you too. But I guess you have to make the decision yourself as what feels comfortable to you may not be the same case for me. Like what some bros have mentioned, better to shortlist a couple of cams and try the handling and most importantly the ease of use and location of the functions. Some cameras would require you to go thru a couple of screens in the main menu before you can ajust them and it's gonna take time when you are shooting.

Actually, given today's technology which brand you go for is not really a lot of difference. Otherwise, why would there be so many users of other camera makers beyond the C & N camps. ;)

When you're testing out the cams in a shop or electronic store, please remember not to be affected by the sales person as they would always push the model that brings them the most commission. Hope you can get your cam and start shooting soon.

Because at the end of the day it really doesn't matter what camera you choose. Each of them will have their own pros and cons. Just go buy one and start shooting.

Just flip a coin, you can't go wrong with either.. both have their pros and cons.

hi guys,

thanks for the input. i'll take down a few models and make my purchase. thanks :D

Status
Not open for further replies.