which dslr should i get?

perry8

Oct 8, 2010
Hi everyone! i've used my friend's canon eos 500d on a few occasions and frankly speaking, it's intrigued me to no end. so right now i'd like to get one for myself as well, as i'm travelling to nepal soon.
i'm trying to decide between the nikon d7000 and the canon eos 550d, which one should i get?
and what other models would you guys recommend?
also, could someone educate me on what the ISO settings do?
i'm new to this, but i'd like to start with a good starter to mid-range DSLR. thanks a bunch!

Haizzz why always got this thread one:dunno:

Anyway first of all you need a budget.Common entry/mid level DSLRs include:

Canon EOS 1000D/500D/550/50/60D
Nikon D3000/3100/5000/90/7000/300/300s
Sony A290/390/550/33/55
Pentax K-x/7
Olympus E(Sorry forgot what model liao)

There are also others that are not launched...

Do consider those i mentioned above.Read different reviews from different websites.And also set aside $100-200 for accessories...

D7000 not out yet right? why not get the D90 if you prefer nikon? though might be old but its good.. one of my earlier choice but didn't get due to high price 1year + back..
if you cosidering sony.. a33/a55 has been gaining alot popularity with its good video capability..

haha thats what forums are for after all :p
i actually have no preferences. i just want to know which brand's recommended?

haha thats what forums are for after all :p
i actually have no preferences. i just want to know which brand's recommended?

Canon users will say Canon good.Nikon users will say Nikon good.Sony users will say Sony good.Pentax users will say Pentax good.4/3 users will say 4/3 good...

Person A uses Canon
Person B uses Nikon
Person C uses Olympus
Person D uses Pentax
Person E uses...

Hence,
Person A will recommend Canon
Person B will recommend Nikon
Person C will recommend Olympus
Person D will recommend Pentax

:bsmilie:

But honestly, what exactly are you going to be shooting? That would probably play a part in determining your camera choice, apart from your budget.

Btw ISO adjusts the sensitivity of the camera's sensor. Higher ISO = higher sensor sensitivity, allowing you to use a faster shutter speed for the same f number and light settings- at the expense of dynamic range, as well as increasing image noise.

All this- you can read up more yourself.

Welcome to CS :)

Recommend you go to the shops and try out the models you are interested in. See how each model feels in your hands and the button placement. See which feels the most comfortable to you. No point buying a camera based on brand but it does not feel right as you may end up not using it.

Hi everyone! i've used my friend's canon eos 500d on a few occasions and frankly speaking, it's intrigued me to no end. so right now i'd like to get one for myself as well, as i'm travelling to nepal soon.
i'm trying to decide between the nikon d7000 and the canon eos 550d, which one should i get?
i'm new to this, but i'd like to start with a good starter to mid-range DSLR. thanks a bunch!

D7000 sounds like hell of a camera and lots of people are waiting for it. But sadly, it is not out yet. And when it is out near the end of this month, it will be very hard to get one, since many people are waiting for it. And prices will be at a premium. So it is up to you.

I recommend you get a 550D first and start shooting.

And to answer your question, you do have to read up on the basics of photogaphy. Here are some links to help you get started:

Camera basics
http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=309544

Composition
http://www.amateursnapper.com/photog...position-rules
http://digital-photography-school.co...mposition-tips
http://www.digital-photography-school.com/10-more-quick-composition-tips-illustrated

Flash photography
http://www.gentleye.com/photo/photoart/advflash/index.html
http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?t=171657

More topics covered here:
http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tutorials.htm

You need to do YOUR OWN basic research first. All cameras have strengths. For example, the Canon 550D has better video than the D90, but is that important to you? The Pentax and Sony cameras have in-body anti-shake, is that important to you? Some cameras have fast autofocus in liveview, some don't have a traditional mirror assembly, others have a tilting LCD, etc etc etc. Do some research, don't be blind to brands other than Canon and Nikon, and most importantly, TRY THE CAMERAS. You need to make sure you're comfy with the ergonomics.

You can't just come in and say "what camera to get? What is recommended?". After all, do you ask other people what food to eat? What car to buy? What person to marry? What toilet paper to buy? What toothpaste to use? No right? A DSLR camera is a personal choice.

i just want to know which brand's recommended?

no one will tell u which brand's recommended..... unless newbies.
There's an amazing tool called Goggle. U can use it to find any information u want about camera.

"which dslr should i get?"
-u better get a pns camera.

Well... just get the canon. You ARE used to the cam anyway right..

If your friend can help you shorted the learning curve, then the 550D is a good choice.

Otherwise, as mentioned by others, do some research.

The current models from the major DSLR manufacturers would be :

Canon 550D
Nikon D5000; D90
Sony A550;
Pentax K-x; K7

The new models that are just out (or coming within a month) would be :

Canon 60D
Nikon D7000
Sony A33; A55
Pentax K-r; K5

Do look at the new models as well, since you are so near the window of transition between older and newer models.
For details on which new model is out, you may want to ask in the specific brand sub-forums.
I only know that the Kr and K5 from Pentax is targeted at mid Oct and is now open for pre-orders.
http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=770684

There is no best camera or best brand, but each model would give you a certain level of value for money, which is where the research comes in.

If your friend can help you shorted the learning curve, then the 550D is a good choice.

Otherwise, as mentioned by others, do some research.

The current models from the major DSLR manufacturers would be :

Canon 550D
Nikon D5000; D90
Sony A550;
Pentax K-x; K7

Eh why isn't Olympus a "major DSLR manufacturer"! :(

But anyway. You have to sit down and consider which features of the cameras are important to you- Rashkae has already pointed this out. It's like buying a house. Do you need a house with 3 bedrooms? or 4 bedrooms? swimming pool? balcony??? It's the same principle.

Eh why isn't Olympus a "major DSLR manufacturer"! :(

Almost zero knowledge of Olympus DSLR, so better not anyhow "hamtam"
They are meant to be examples for the TS anyway.

Do feel free to chip in the info on the Olympus cams. :)

Sadly it's impossible to recommend you a DSLR. It's such a personal choice, as many similar examples have been put across.
If really one camera is so much better than the rest, they might as well close shop :)

Spend time reading up a bit online. Sites like dpreview or photozone are a good start.
Familiarize yourself with some commonly-used terms.
Try to get a feel for as many different brands and models as possible. One of them should call out to you :)
If you like your friend's 500D, that's a good place to start.

Get the same system as your friend, you can try out his lens and share around.

brand not important.. most important is you must like the feel when you touch.. big hands use small DSLR end up not comfortable give you good specs you also not happy right...

Get the same system as your friend, you can try out his lens and share around.

That's one of the main reason i choose the brand i'm with now. Don't forget u share/rent equipment together n save $$

Hi, The camera that u can hold steady and comfortable in your hand is good to avoid shake and it should have sufficient weight to remain steady in your hand and to balance the lens attached
so that your can handle it for a longer duration of time. For all this, you have to go down to showrooms and shops to feel and hold the camera steady in your hand. Brand name should reflect the kind of service provided after sale. Happy hunting

i want to do paintings....

can tell me what brand of canvas to buy, what brand of paint to buy and which paintbrush to buy to get those expert paintings that I see in the museum ???

happy shopping !! ;)