which dslr should i get for starters?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sotohp

Sep 17, 2007
east coast
thinking of finally getting my hands on a dslr and exploring photography at a deeper level.
what would be a good equipement to get started on?

should i get a canon 400d with the S18-55 lens or the S17-85 IS? or should i get a 2nd hand 350d and play around with that first? i haven't had any experience using dslr cameras and currently own an ixus 60.

thanks for your advice!

can i mention here, i hope for the last time
that everyone prefers something different
there are strengths in every system (brand) and weaknesses in every system
even the most expensive pro camera has its flaws, up to you to discover them and work within it

best to just limit yourself to what models based on BUDGET first
then go down to shops and try
nothing beats the feel you have the camera, trust me
doesn't matter if it is godlike, no noise, fast shutter speed, etc
but you don't like the way it feels

i think there are several posts as in which dslrs to start with.... eh for starters i wouldnt recommend getting such a good lens. i think if u want something general purpose i think the sigma 28-200 os is a good choice.

hey guys, thanks for your input but i'm not sure if this has helped me to make a decision! thanks anyways. :)

sotohp, it might be easier if you were to ask yourself some questions...

1st - Look at your overall needs - does the brand and models you have shortlisted meet your needs, or which ones meet your needs best? What are your needs? Think about what kind of photography you would miost likely be doing most in the next two years.

2nd - Are you likely to expand, and how much, say, in the next two years?

3rd - Would you likely have a need for exotic lenses or accessories? Birders and sports/low light photographers generally have more exotic needs than say event or wedding photographers.

4th - Is brand prominence important to you?

5th - Besides those brands you have looked at, have you looked at and tried EVERYTHING on the market?

Let's say you've managed to narrow it down to 2 or 3 brands and models, my next suggestion would be to research all the forums here about the respectice agents and their after sales service. Don't just look at the bouquets, but specifically look for problems, and how the agents resolved them, if at all.

Also, certain brands/models seem to have certain design/physical weaknesses that appear to be universal - even folks in other countries bitch about them, and the manufacturers seem hell bent on NOT solving the issues. Look out for these.

If you can, try to join a few newbie outings with the olbies around, and have a hands-on with different equipment. Similarly, join a few different brand forums and go for their outings and observe/ask questions...if you haven't already set your mind on a particular brand. You'll be surprised what another brand/model could offer. I know I was!

All the best in your search!

i think there are several posts as in which dslrs to start with.... eh for starters i wouldnt recommend getting such a good lens. i think if u want something general purpose i think the sigma 28-200 os is a good choice.

what good lens? i think the 17-85 is and 18-55 are both kit options

have u considered other brands yet? nikon's d80 is going for around $1600 and comes with a very good general purpose 18-135 lens; of course, if u had extra money, go for the d80 body only and buy an 18-200 vr from nikon

canon and nikon systems, among others have lots of room to expand on, in terms of cams, lenses and flashes
if u insist on getting canon, i would recommend the 400d with 18-55 and 70-300/70-200

cheers

Look at Sept issue of Practical Photography.

They have a side by side comparision on 2 beginner's camera, D40X vs 400D

hhmmm obviously pro shooters inside this forum don't see it from a newbie point of view ..
its obvious that for someone who has just started into photography and more into dslr than a PNS camera, he/she don't know nuts about each camera's weakness and strength ... thats d main reason they ask around for others feedback ...

time and time again i read threads from experience CSers to ask d same questions back to the newbie like 'depends on how comfortable' and what are your needs'. Well thats not wrong but for a newbie, he/she don't know what are his needs yet .... !!! All he knows that he wants to start fiddling with a DSLR camera ... Aperture, shutter speed, DOF, ISO ... these are terms that r so alien to them at the moment.

common guys cut them some slack .....

My recommendation is D80 Kit..

Reasons:
1. Get all the usual function u have on a PNS
i.e Auto, Portrait, Night Scene, Sports, etc.
2. Get all the manual function u can find on Pro DSLR
i.e P, Av, Tv, M
3. Good range for the kit lens (18-135) very easy for beginner
i.e From landscape to portrait to macro to street..pretty good focal range
4. Ideal size for dslr, even if u upgrage to tele lens
Not too big not too small to start off..unless u r a female who have small hands, then D40x maybe more suitable for u
5. Has a battery grip for future upgrade
Can double ur number of shots for 1 whole day of event without the need to change battery, because it can hold 2 batteries..the battery grip gives u a comfortable hold for vertical shots
6. Can use almost all nikkor lenses; unlike D40x can only use AFS lenses
Nikon has the most comprehensive of lenses to choose from..but this is another story
7. Price is pretty reasonable as of now (i dun noe ur budget)
Should be under 1.6k if i'm not wrong..

My recommendation is D80 Kit..

Reasons:
1. Get all the usual function u have on a PNS
i.e Auto, Portrait, Night Scene, Sports, etc.
2. Get all the manual function u can find on Pro DSLR
i.e P, Av, Tv, M
3. Good range for the kit lens (18-135) very easy for beginner
i.e From landscape to portrait to macro to street..pretty good focal range
4. Ideal size for dslr, even if u upgrage to tele lens
Not too big not too small to start off..unless u r a female who have small hands, then D40x maybe more suitable for u
5. Has a battery grip for future upgrade
Can double ur number of shots for 1 whole day of event without the need to change battery, because it can hold 2 batteries..the battery grip gives u a comfortable hold for vertical shots
6. Can use almost all nikkor lenses; unlike D40x can only use AFS lenses
Nikon has the most comprehensive of lenses to choose from..but this is another story
7. Price is pretty reasonable as of now (i dun noe ur budget)
Should be under 1.6k if i'm not wrong..

I second that!

Just to add on:

1.The battery life is VERY good, I'm able to take more than 500 shots using a 70-200VR with lots of reviewing.
2. You can get the 10.2MP sensor and other features of the better d200 in a cheaper body!
3. You can save $$$ by getting a 18-70mm lens as well, around $300 2nd hand.
4. Many in-camera picture editing features that can save you time on the computer.

he/she don't know what are his needs yet .... !!! All he knows that he wants to start fiddling with a DSLR camera ... Aperture, shutter speed, DOF, ISO ... these are terms that r so alien to them at the moment.

The that's the exact reason NOT to get a DSLR.

I suggest you get a good prosumer cam first, like a Sony H9 or a Canon S3. These cams are more powerful than many people give them credit for. Only go for DSLR if you feel limited by the prosumers.

don't be too eager to jump on the DSLR bandwagon...
i was there once and felt the DSLR too much to handle.
"downgraded" to a prosumer... and i'm happy to say, i've made the right choice...

and i do agree with Rashkae,
Only go for DSLR if you feel limited by the prosumers.

My last camera before I made the jump is the Canon IXUS 55... and once I jumped... I kenna poisoned big time :bsmilie:

OK... here's my recommendation...

Go to the B&S section and get a second hand Nikon D70/D70s/D80 or Canon 350D. I am using Nikon, so I'm not very familiar with Canon's products.

Get the BODY ONLY and not the lens. Then go buy a Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 lens for it. If you haven't bought anything yet, don't waste time with the kit lens, go straight to the f/2.8, and you won't regret it. With 1.5 crop factor, you are having a 26-75mm lens.

Cost? Here's the sums for the D70/D70s option.

D70 body approx $500.
D70s body approx $700.
Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 lens approx $700 brand new.

The total for this would be under $1400.

i wouldnt recommend the DSLR route yet if you do not understand the basics of photography like apeture, shutter speed etc etc. for one reason you would not be able to fully exploit the camera yet

going for a prosumer has many benefits, greater value,little accesories to buy, most of them have powerful zooms and its smaller, lighter and more compact.

most of all it allows you to play with the different modes and allow you to tweak and tune until you have mastered everything, and the moment you begin to feel the F11 or something isnt good enough for night shots, or that the EVF irks you(it does irk me) or just the fact that focussing time and shutter lag is faster, your start on the DSLR route isnt too late.:thumbsup:

i wouldnt recommend the DSLR route yet if you do not understand the basics of photography like apeture, shutter speed etc etc. for one reason you would not be able to fully exploit the camera yet

going for a prosumer has many benefits, greater value,little accesories to buy, most of them have powerful zooms and its smaller, lighter and more compact.

most of all it allows you to play with the different modes and allow you to tweak and tune until you have mastered everything, and the moment you begin to feel the F11 or something isnt good enough for night shots, or that the EVF irks you(it does irk me) or just the fact that focussing time and shutter lag is faster, your start on the DSLR route isnt too late.:thumbsup:

i totally agree... learning my ways with my FZ50 now

well... my personal experience with my IXUS 55 is that there were many things I could not do. I knew about aperture, shutter speed and stuff, but could not learn more because of the limitations on the IXUS 55. however, when i got my first DSLR D40x, I chewed it up in 2 months... and boy did I enjoy it! I've then been poisoned big time and have decided to skip the D80 and go for D200, and buying some old f/2.8 lenses.

basically, i decided that if i took every intermediate step... i would end up spending more money and time than if i were to jump in the deep end... and now, i'm swimming in the deep end!

that's my 2 cents worth of personal experience ;)

well... my personal experience with my IXUS 55 is that there were many things I could not do. I knew about aperture, shutter speed and stuff, but could not learn more because of the limitations on the IXUS 55. however, when i got my first DSLR D40x, I chewed it up in 2 months... and boy did I enjoy it! I've then been poisoned big time and have decided to skip the D80 and go for D200, and buying some old f/2.8 lenses.

basically, i decided that if i took every intermediate step... i would end up spending more money and time than if i were to jump in the deep end... and now, i'm swimming in the deep end!

that's my 2 cents worth of personal experience ;)

:thumbsup:

My last camera before I made the jump is the Canon IXUS 55... and once I jumped... I kenna poisoned big time :bsmilie:

OK... here's my recommendation...

Go to the B&S section and get a second hand Nikon D70/D70s/D80 or Canon 350D. I am using Nikon, so I'm not very familiar with Canon's products.

Get the BODY ONLY and not the lens. Then go buy a Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 lens for it. If you haven't bought anything yet, don't waste time with the kit lens, go straight to the f/2.8, and you won't regret it. With 1.5 crop factor, you are having a 26-75mm lens.

Cost? Here's the sums for the D70/D70s option.

D70 body approx $500.
D70s body approx $700.
Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 lens approx $700 brand new.

The total for this would be under $1400.

I must say you do give useful advice! I'm wondering why you picked Nikon instead of Canon. Thanks! :)

I must say you do give useful advice! I'm wondering why you picked Nikon instead of Canon. Thanks! :)

I picked Nikon because of the range of lenses it has. Nikon has the best lenses produced in the market. The camera body is important, but the lens would make the world of difference. Also, Nikon lenses that are 10 years old still work wonderfully!

Let's say that you want the trinity lenses, i.e. the f/2.8 lenses which cover the range from 18-200mm in 3 different pieces. It costs a bomb to get them brand new, but I can get my "unofficial" trinity lenses at about $1800, less than the cost of 1 lens brand new... because I am using Nikon!!! :cool:

I picked Nikon because of the range of lenses it has. Nikon has the best lenses produced in the market. The camera body is important, but the lens would make the world of difference. Also, Nikon lenses that are 10 years old still work wonderfully!

Let's say that you want the trinity lenses, i.e. the f/2.8 lenses which cover the range from 18-200mm in 3 different pieces. It costs a bomb to get them brand new, but I can get my "unofficial" trinity lenses at about $1800, less than the cost of 1 lens brand new... because I am using Nikon!!! :cool:

time for brand war

what do you base this on sia, you make this sort of statement is asking for it, i bet you all the brothers will come in and whack you soon

there are all sorts of lenses more than 20 years old that work wonderfully also you know

every brand has its own strengths and weaknesses, just make sure you are clear on them, ts, which weaknesses you can live with, which ones you cannot, and choose system base on that

Status
Not open for further replies.