Which DSLR is good for nightscape shots?

Status
Not open for further replies.

achanth

Dec 12, 2005
www.photography-xylec.blogspot.com
I purchased 2 compact and found that they were poor for night shots of illuminated city lights (nice pics on LCD, but lots of noise/blurry when print outed or viewed on computer).

Thinking of DSLR: which one is good especially for night scape shots? As I travel, I do not intend to cart around my tripod (too troublesome and inconvenient). Prefer hand hold and shoot. The Olympus 510 focus is too dark in nigh light scenes, but when I up the ISO to high, the pictures come out nice, but grainy. When viewed in magnified form, the images are not too sharp. Maybe I was using wrong lens (was using 50-150mm)?

What DSLR camera and lens would you recommend for this type of shooting? I read that Canon 40D with OS lens can be used to take good pictures hand-held, or should I stay with Olympus 510 and change the lens. Tried the E3 (last weekend, launched in Malaysia) for night shots or poor lit shots...but this is bulky.

Thank for your advice.

none, cos nightscape is still best with longer shutter and tripod.

even if you can get the best dslr with high useable iso, most likely also not as good as the one taken with a long exposure.

Actually for stationery nightscape, the only way to get good picture is to use TRIPOD and shoot with the lowest ISO value. Like it or hate it.

Well, you can use a f/2.8 fast lens , package with high ISO, and may be with the aid of monopod, or lens that come with VR, IS, OS ( vibration reduction ) etc.
But seriously, these are just COMPROMISE , not true SOLUTION.

If your subject is people, moving crowd, moving object at night. Then too bad, just use higher ISO and accept the noise level.
May be the camera that allows usable ISO 1600, like Canon 5D, or Nikon D3 ? hehe.

take landscape, need depth of field

you use f/2.8 and iso800, sure, can take.. but come out not so nice, then not happy still :(

NIkon D200 + 18-200mm VR

Guess image stabilized lenses should be high on your priority list with body with good noise control (Canon 30D,)

no two ways abt it now. human is the limiting factor. unless u can stop breathing, stop ur heart beating and stay absolutely still, use a tripod if u want nice and sharp nightscape shots.

no two ways abt it now. human is the limiting factor. unless u can stop breathing, stop ur heart beating and stay absolutely still, use a tripod if u want nice and sharp nightscape shots.

still can do rear flash mah... expose the background then flash shoot.

Seriously.. DO think again on what you wanna do. High ISO and VR can't get you any decent nightscape shots. But it will be good for low light sports or wedding in natural light.

Go read up more on the Night photography sub-forum. Mebbe you'll get some inspiration or help from there. ;)

I think most DSLR can fit the bill nicely when pair up with a good len. But tripod is still necessary for my shaky hand, not pro enough;)

Actually, Fujifilm F30 compact camera is well known for its night shot capability. Found a comparison between the F30, F40, F50 in the link below. Too bad it is no longer easily found.
http://www.mobile01.com/newsdetail.php?id=3885

Status
Not open for further replies.