Which DSLR does not have a shutter sound?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adiemus

May 21, 2004
Small island....
Just curious,

Which brand of DSLR does not have shutter sound? How much does it cost?

I've heard that some medium format digital cameras do not have shutter sounds. Is this true? If so, what models and brands are we looking at?

Any feedback or help is much appreciated. :)

the E-1 has about the most silent and well-damped shutter liao.....

maybe wait n see wat happens at photokina :p

All DSLR's have negligible shutter sound. If you're talking about mirror slap you may try the 10d. If you dislike the mirror slap, simply avoid SLR cameras, medium format or otherwise.

You would be looking for a rangefinder system.

more specifically, those with cloth shutters. like leica.

its not so much the shutter but the mirror slapping that has the most sound...and single lens reflex medium format cameras have very loud sound cause of the large mirror...maybe what you heard was about twin lens reflex medium format :think: no experience with those so anyone can fill in on those?...

2 DSLRs with very little shutter sound and no mirror slap sound are the Olympus E10 and E20...no mirror slap cause it does not have a mirror but uses a semi-reflective prism...virtually silent operation, almost like p&s...it does have a mechanical shutter but is very quiet, even to the photographer...I have used it to shoot in film sets and no probs :)

zero2000Front.jpg

theRBK said:
its not so much the shutter but the mirror slapping that has the most sound...and single lens reflex medium format cameras have very loud sound cause of the large mirror...maybe what you heard was about twin lens reflex medium format :think: no experience with those so anyone can fill in on those?...

2 DSLRs with very little shutter sound and no mirror slap sound are the Olympus E10 and E20...no mirror slap cause it does not have a mirror but uses a semi-reflective prism...virtually silent operation, almost like p&s...it does have a mechanical shutter but is very quiet, even to the photographer...I have used it to shoot in film sets and no probs :)

I'm a Nikon user, so I'm not familiar with the Olympus system.

So the E10 and E20 does not have a mirror. So ... NO MIRROR = NO MIRROR SLAP SOUND
And the mechanical shutter is very quiet. Just how quiet? Is this audible in a quiet concert hall environment?

What is the price range for the E10 and E20?

Thanks to all for feedback and info.

Am I right to say that the Hasselblad H1, H2 series does not have "mirror slap" nor "shutter sound"? Any medium format users care to enlighten me on this?

Thanks in advance.

Adiemus said:
Wah bro! Pardon my ignorance... But WHAT IS THAT??? :dunno:

hahah that's ancient baby~!

btw i suggest olympus is a deadly silencer :bsmilie:

Adiemus said:
Am I right to say that the Hasselblad H1, H2 series does not have "mirror slap" nor "shutter sound"? Any medium format users care to enlighten me on this?

Thanks in advance.

The H series are SLRs, and you will know when the shutter fires.

Are you posing this question about a silent shutter because you want to procure such a setup? Or are you asking out of curiousity? If the former, I'm not sure if the investment in a Hassey and its lenses are going to be realistically feasible, given the high costs involved.

If you are so concerned about the shutter noise, better go for a point and snap like everyone suggests.

from my experience... the E-1 is the most silent DSLR i've ever tried...
nice shutter sound >___<
while the most noisy is KM 7D i think..

Adiemus said:
Wah bro! Pardon my ignorance... But WHAT IS THAT??? :dunno:

haha if i haven't mistaken, that's a pinhole. :)

For digital camera solutions
#1, use ear plugs.
#2, use digi cam.
#3, use video cam.
#4, shoot with mirror lock up.

and these cameras are known have the most silent shutter sound.
Leica M
most range finder cameras
Large format or view cameras
pin hole cameras

Maybe others can fill in something which I don't know or miss out.

Hope these help.

Terence said:
The H series are SLRs, and you will know when the shutter fires.

Are you posing this question about a silent shutter because you want to procure such a setup? Or are you asking out of curiousity? If the former, I'm not sure if the investment in a Hassey and its lenses are going to be realistically feasible, given the high costs involved.

If you are so concerned about the shutter noise, better go for a point and snap like everyone suggests.

Well, some stuff that I cover requires me to be as silent as possible. I'm checking to see what's on the market and whether it's justifyable to procure such a setup.

If not, at least, I've got the figures and facts to back me up.

--

When you say that I'll know when the H series shutter fires, do you mean that it's "loud". Sorry, not initiated into the MF or the LF cameras. :sweat:

Status
Not open for further replies.