Which dslr camera should I buy if I wanna take landscape picture!

Trinex

Jul 30, 2012
Pasir ris
Hi seniors, what type of dslr should I get for landscape photos? I just started photography not long ago, and all i have now is a canon power shot camera. My budget is less then 1k

Thanks in advance

What is it that this power shot camera not able to do for you that you believe that a DSLR can?

I am actually using a PowerShot s10 which belong to my relative. The camera is kinda faulty now hence I decided to change a new camera with limited budget

any DSLR camera can take landscape photos,

and also

cityscape photos,

birthday party photos,

wedding photos,

portrait photos,

stage performance photos,

sport photos,

........... etc etc...

I've seen what lens for landscape question before, first time seeing what DSLR for landscape.

lol!

buy pentax k5.

Sorry just started ! So a Nikon d3100 is ok right?

Any DSLR can do the job. My advise is... go down to the shop and test out the DSLR, mirrorless, advance PnS cameras, etc and see which one you like best. then get that one.

D3100 is cheaper by quite a lot but I think i would head down the shop and try the caMeras out! Thank you seniors!

One advise... don't just get a camera that you think is cheaper. Get one that you find is okay and feels good in your hand. All cameras nowadays should take very good pictures and stuff like that... but if you start off with a camera just because it is cheaper than the next model, you might end up wanting to upgrade sooner than you think.

I would also recommend a good read in this sticky: http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/newbies-corner/787393-faq-dslr-camera-buy.html

It provides you with a couple of other factors to consider when getting a camera. In addition to that article, I think this sticky did not include the size of the camera as one of the considerations when choosing a DSLR/EVIL/Mirrorless.

The size of the camera may also affect your buying decision. Especially if you are concern about the weight and portability. Mirrorless camera are quite abit smaller than traditional DSLRs. But of course there are certain trade-offs (*I will mention the obvious, the rest is up to your research*) like unbalanced weight if you use a bigger/heavier lens.

E.g. Imagine Canon's new Mirrorless with 70-200 f2.8.
Canon-EOS-M-70-200mm-02.jpg

*You get the idea....*

Image source: http://www.slrlounge.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/Canon-EOS-M-70-200mm-02.jpg

Alright I get the concept now, a big thank you to all the seniors . This information answered many of my doubts!

You want a straight to the point kid?

go get nikon d7000 or canon 7d

if budget is a problem then go for nikon d5200 or canon 650d but I still prefer with 100 percent viewfinder.

Lens tokina 11-16 is a high priority but optional

make do with your 18-55 lens if budget is a problem

STURDY TRIPOD IS A MUST can get $160 plus with ballhead at mass sales. but I prefer Sirui at TK photo.

no sturdy tripod – blurry photos – inconsistent horizon –bad image quality equal to no landscape!

remote shutter release is a high priority but optional

can get $15 at mass sales

no remote shutter release - difficult for bulb mode – bad image quality. But can make do with timer.

Filter is a priority but optional, you can start at Tiyan ya made in china but hitech or Lee it’s preferred weapon of choice… like a Tommy gun in your backseat.

Is filter required? Maybe, but go visit the landscape gallery section and ask them. Look for a guy named edutillus or Stephan. Be careful with the mafias… the bosses are in peace but the fans are in truce…

Regards,
The Stranger

in short. $1k is not enuff. :bsmilie:

You want a straight to the point kid?

go get nikon d7000 or canon 7d

if budget is a problem then go for nikon d5200 or canon 650d but I still prefer with 100 percent viewfinder.

Lens tokina 11-16 is a high priority but optional

make do with your 18-55 lens if budget is a problem

STURDY TRIPOD IS A MUST can get $160 plus with ballhead at mass sales. but I prefer Sirui at TK photo.

no sturdy tripod – blurry photos – inconsistent horizon –bad image quality equal to no landscape!

remote shutter release is a high priority but optional

can get $15 at mass sales

no remote shutter release - difficult for bulb mode – bad image quality. But can make do with timer.

Filter is a priority but optional, you can start at Tiyan ya made in china but hitech or Lee it’s preferred weapon of choice… like a Tommy gun in your backseat.

Is filter required? Maybe, but go visit the landscape gallery section and ask them. Look for a guy named edutillus or Stephan. Be careful with the mafias… the bosses are in peace but the fans are in truce…

Regards,
The Stranger

If really on budget... look to m4/3 mirrorless camera. If you can find a EPL1 or EPL2 in the BnS section, it should come pretty cheaply. Or get the GF2 + 14-42mm lens from TKfoto at S$599. There you got almost everything you need for landscape photography.

With a small camera and light lens, you can afford to buy a small travel tripod that should not cost too much... not more than S$120 (I believe). Filter is optional, but you could get a hoya screw in filter at not more than S$150 (but that can wait)... I seldom use filter btw.

There the entire package is not more than 1k...

As for remote control,

http://www.ebay.com.sg/itm/sonnovel...=Camera_Camcorder_Remotes&hash=item2569e8b4cc

only S$23.44.

Last edited:
Hi seniors, what type of dslr should I get for landscape photos? I just started photography not long ago, and all i have now is a canon power shot camera. My budget is less then 1k

Thanks in advance

you look for a model called LANDSCAPE CAMERA only.....

Hi Trinex,

Like everyone have mentioned, any dSLR will do, even m4/3 cameras are good enough for shooting landscape.

What is important is the lens(es). For most new photographers starting on landscape photography, the first thing they think of is getting a good wide angle lens. So do read up reviews and see others' photos with the same camera on whether the kit lens will be suitable for you.

Any DSLR will do. and use it with ur kit lens. They can do wonders for beginners in photography. Try learn to compose with ur kit lens and progress for better pic quality with higher end lenses.

Thank you seniors ! I went to try out Nikon d5100 yesterday and it fits my hand perfectly ! Although it's slightly above my budget , but I guess it's better to get a camera that suits myself ! Right now cause I don't know much about lens so gonna do more research about it. Thanks again !

Thank you seniors ! I went to try out Nikon d5100 yesterday and it fits my hand perfectly ! Although it's slightly above my budget , but I guess it's better to get a camera that suits myself ! Right now cause I don't know much about lens so gonna do more research about it. Thanks again !

One thing you have to take note of when getting the Nikon D5100... it didn't have inbuilt motor, so some of the lens will be manual focus only... so if you get the D5100 and wanted to upgrade or buy new lenses, be sure to double check to see if the lens Autofocus in that camera body or not.

Anyway D5100 is a very very capable camera, and I am sure you would have loads of fun with it.