which dslr camera brand and mode package with lens is suitable for Night Safari

lionelim81

Jan 19, 2011
Ang Mo Kio
www.facebook.com
Hi i'm newbie can u recommend and advise me which dslr camera brand and mode package with lens is suitable for photo shooting at night safari ?

Hi i'm newbie can u recommend and advise me which dslr camera brand and mode package with lens is suitable for photo shooting at night safari ?

Doesn't matter which camera system you're buying or with which lens you're coupling it with.

Night Safari will pose the following challenges:
1. Dark 1 (duh... hehe :) ) - high ISO performance preferable
2. Dark 2 (double duh.....) - fast lens preferable (even at 2.8 it's very iffy)
3. Shutter speed - even with high ISO and a fast lens, you may find your shutter speed going down to 1/30 or even lower (motion freeze becomes a problem)
4. Focusing - focusing may become an issue if its too dark
5. Flash - Night Safari = NO FLASH. Repeat 10 times - NO FLASH (this includes pop-up)

So, there we have it. You need high ISO, fast lens, maybe IS to prevent camera shake as your shutter speed goes down and animals that don't move much. Non-equipment ability to maybe use MF instead of AF if focusing is an issue, and being restricted by the "No Flash" rule.
Usually points 1 and 2 = $$$$$.

Still, it's not impossible. Taken on Canon 500D + kit lens....
IMG_3412_msg.jpg

since u r in nikon thread...i'll recommend nikon's.

D3100 ($800+, cheapest), D90 and D7000 ($2000, most ex). with kit lens.

check out their reviews here. http://dpreview.com/

Last edited:
no budget limit?

Nikon: D3s + 200 f2 VR :thumbsup:

how often you visit night safari?

do you need to post in Canon and Nikon sections just want to know which "dslr camera brand and mode package with lens is suitable for photo shooting at night safari"?

thread merged and moved to newbies corner.

If u wanna shoot at Night Safari then u will need expensive gear cos of low night environment.

I recommend Nikon since u r at Nikon DX range thread.

And If u wanna shoot at the animals then most of all u need a Fix-Aperture zoom lens like AF-S NIKKOR 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II( which cost u thousands over dollars for the lens itself)etc.. don't expect to get clear and sharp pic at night safari with your camera kit lens,

i gave up shooting animals at night safari with my nikon D5000, 16-85mm lens. It don't help.

how often you visit night safari?

:thumbsup:
I dunno if it's just me but I find video easier to capture in low light than stills. Not sure of the model make of the cam I was spying on... :dunno:

the night safari is not the deciding factor on what camera to get unless you plan on going to the night safari daily and only shoot at that location.

please consider the flexibity of your photgraphy before deciding which camera to buy.

cheers!

Doesn't matter much. Your lack of skills will be a bigger challenge. Go and enjoy the safari, stop thinking that every moment needs to be frozen in a pic so that we can remember it.
Get an entry DSLR with kit lens and learn about photography during daylight. That's challenging enough as a start.

This is where the 50mm f/1.4, 85mm f/1.4 and 135mm f/2 primes come in handy with their light gathering properties. Your aim will have to be accurate as the margin for OOF is quite large at such large apertures.

As for which dslr...technically any that has the above lenses in the range.

All that i have stated is provided you know what you are doing otherwise just get the postcards at the gift shop.

Last edited:
The camera brand doesn't matter. But seriously, shooting animals in the dark without flash is gonna be challenging...

Pentax Kr if you have a limited budget for a DSLR below $1K.
You can see its high ISO (ie. low light) performance here :
http://www.imaging-resource.com/IMCOMP/COMPS01.HTM
Perhaps the best high ISO performance in its class +/- $300.

However, my honest opinion is that its rather pointless to get a camera just for a night safari.
Firstly, you won't get many if any good shots as the lights are low and unflattering.
Secondly, you'd want your camera for other purposes as well, right? :)

no budget limit?

Nikon: D3s + 200 f2 VR :thumbsup:

Exactly what I would recommend.

It's that, or FORGET ABOUT IT and just enjoy using your eyes to see the animals.

Unfortunately, you probably need a full-frame camera like D700/D3S/5D2 and a relatively fast telephoto lens.... as suggested by engrmariano, 200F2 :thumbsup:

Are you asking for the best? Because the sky is the limit. The Nikon D3s is probably the best contender. Without flash, you really need at least ISO 3200 to get something remotely decent. And most certainly a fast lens.

Are you asking for the best? Because the sky is the limit. The Nikon D3s is probably the best contender. Without flash, you really need at least ISO 3200 to get something remotely decent. And most certainly a fast lens.

More like 6400-12800 really...