Which Drill to get?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ninja23XX

Jan 24, 2009
In The Shadows
I'm quite sick of the Black & Decker drill i have at home. It's very old plus it can't drill much into walls with ease.

Not much into the Brands, either B&D or Bosch?

But any recommendations on any affordable models that i can consider?

Thanks.;)

I'm quite sick of the Black & Decker drill i have at home. It's very old plus it can't drill much into walls with ease.

Thanks.;)

If your walls are masonry make sure it's a impact (hammer) drill. As a matter of course I'd be looking at how sharp your drill bits are. If your budget will stretch to it I'd suggest Makita or a Bosch cordless impact drill.

If your walls are masonry make sure it's a impact (hammer) drill. As a matter of course I'd be looking at how sharp your drill bits are. If your budget will stretch to it I'd suggest Makita or a Bosch cordless impact drill.
I think local HDB houses use Hollow Bricks and concrete for walls. So would that clasify under masonry? Tapped my wall, doesn't seem hollow at all.

What a coincident :) I just came back from Home Fix. They have a promo. B&D hammer drill (impacct drill), free set of drill bits (all sizes, think about 30 or more pieces) and a battery operated screwdriver. All in cost $149. Very worth it.

I second Makita and Bosch.
If you're using it for wall and ceiling, get a powerful hammer drill.
Wired hammer drills are more powerful.
Branded drills are known for their quality, not just their brand name.
Not so for drill bits though.

I think local HDB houses use Hollow Bricks and concrete for walls. So would that clasify under masonry? Tapped my wall, doesn't seem hollow at all.

Yes that's masonry.

Cheap made in China drill bits are next to useless on masonry after a couple of holes. Prime spec High Speed Twist drills made in the USA, Europe or Australia can cost you a packet, eg: 1 x 6mm drill around 10-15 SGD. Those are trade quality drill-bits and will do quite a lot of work.

Besides a good brand like those recommended, and sad to say, a compact lower-powered impact drill makes life more difficult. Also be sure to get the correct bits. Most folks just get generic 'masonry' bits thinking they're fine. There are special bits designed for rotary hammer drills.

If you're intending to do a larger job, or you foresee only short-term but very heavy-duty drilling, renting an industrial strength hammer drill and bits for as little as $10-$30 a day may make more sense, and make difficult drilling almost as easy as hot-knifing butter. Plan ahead.

Also, look up guides on how to drill into concrete. It's not a matter of whacking full steam ahead.

And remember, SAFETY FIRST - ALWAYS!

Yes that's masonry.

Cheap made in China drill bits are next to useless on masonry after a couple of holes. Prime spec High Speed Twist drills made in the USA, Europe or Australia can cost you a packet, eg: 1 x 6mm drill around 10-15 SGD. Those are trade quality drill-bits and will do quite a lot of work.

Ditto. I prefer the German bits.

Also, most folks don't maintain or keep their bits sharp, and at optimal angles.

Hilti for me

the more watt the better.. when it comes to drilling a hole

Thanks.;)

Don't waste your money on B&D. It's really not good.

For occasional use, I prefer Bosch, Metabo or even Dewitt (which is B&D, but for industrial use). I'm using Bosch myself. Bought it back in the mid-80s and still going strong. Just did some work on my brother's house (pictures, shelfs, etc.) Should cost less than $200.

If you want something better, try Hitachi or Makita. You can't go wrong with either.

Either case, make sure you get it with impact feature. Without impact drill, it'll be very difficult to drill into walls.

Try Dewalt. :devil:

What a coincident :) I just came back from Home Fix. They have a promo. B&D hammer drill (impacct drill), free set of drill bits (all sizes, think about 30 or more pieces) and a battery operated screwdriver. All in cost $149. Very worth it.
Cool, interesting. Thanks!

Ditto. I prefer the German bits.

Also, most folks don't maintain or keep their bits sharp, and at optimal angles.
I use the german bits for my B&D, but the motor just can't drill through.

I had a new TV wall mounted recently by the professionals, and the guy used a Bosch impact drill. Just slightly bigger than my own B&D. The Bosch drill just Drilled straight through. If it was my B&D, most likely take ages to achieve that.

Where would be a good place to buy these drills + drill bits?

I do know of RS-Online, but that's a online shop. Would prefer to see the machine direct.

RS-Online, does sell Makita Drills though.

Thanks.

i'm surprised that i am the only one who suggested Hilti.

As for drill bits, it is still Hilti.
Even for contractors who use Markita or other makes, they still use Hilti drill bits.

I would have go for Dewaltz and Makita.Makita seems to be very popular with those contractors.I personally been using Dewaltz.

Status
Not open for further replies.