Which do u prefer: OmiBounce, Bounce Card or Diffuser?

How do u shoot with Flash?

Results are only viewable after voting.

hptay

Dec 12, 2002
www.pbase.com
Harlowz,

Lookin for some tips here on achieving the most "natural" lighting effect when doing flash photography :dunno: :dunno:

Which do you normally use and why? :)

OmniBounce is the easiest and safest to use (provided that you're still asking for very high stds). Other means of correcting flash exposure would require more skills and experiences.

^_^~ been meaning to get an omnibounce... last time check around penisula.. no stock (for sigma 500DG)...

I hate my Omnibounce. So tight and hard to remove and put on, use up all my battery, longer recycling time.

Bounce card attached to flash using velcro is the best. Doubles up as a grey card for white balance as well!

i bounce on the ceiling if its not too high... no diffuser, no card. nothing...

StreetShooter said:
I hate my Omnibounce. So tight and hard to remove and put on, use up all my battery, longer recycling time.

Bounce card attached to flash using velcro is the best. Doubles up as a grey card for white balance as well!
Can anyone share to make a DIY bounce card? What material to use and etc.? Especially those that can double up as grey card?

Thanks in advance!

ckiang said:
Omnibounce (whether the free Nikon one or the original Omnibounce) never give me good results compared to my cheap and trusty 5" bounce card. :)

Regards
CK

I used to use an omnibounce but after CK mentioned, I tried a 50 cents bounce card....... the omnibounce is history.

omnibounce + bouncecard (not too big) @45deg

sesame_street98 said:
Can anyone share to make a DIY bounce card? What material to use and etc.? Especially those that can double up as grey card?

Thanks in advance!

simplest method is just find any *white-enough* looking paper, cut to about 10x10cm then laminate

Hi All,

With all this tok about DIY bounce cards ") could some kind soul out there post a pic of their own DIY end product ^_^~ much appreciated.

Will be trying to make my own and post the results sometime later :)

- Flash + omnibounce
- Flash + omnibounce + bounce card
- Flash + bounce card
- Flash direct

Any one of the above depending on location & light avaliablilty and the effect I want to capture. :)

Usually for not very dark situation, i still like to use big big aperture. More natural this way. Hehe...

sesame_street98 said:

Thanks in advance!

You buy a grey card from CP. About $25 for a set, but you can share with a few other people, because you only need a small piece, about 8cm by 10cm.

Get those velcro with adhesive backing from a hardware shop. Stick one side to the flash head, and the other to the bounce card.

Voila! you have a bounce card, which can easily be removed if there is no ceiling (in order to use direct flash and conserve your batteries and reduce your cycling time).

Will post a picture later tonight (maybe).

Picture speaks a thousand words.

Probably the ultimate cheapo...cut a piece of white card from those plastic boards at ~$3/pc at any stationary shop and secure it to the flash with two rubber bands.

diybounce.jpg

PS: Taken with a cheapo webcam. :D

StreetShooter said:
You buy a grey card from CP. About $25 for a set, but you can share with a few other people, because you only need a small piece, about 8cm by 10cm.

Get those velcro with adhesive backing from a hardware shop. Stick one side to the flash head, and the other to the bounce card.

Voila! you have a bounce card, which can easily be removed if there is no ceiling (in order to use direct flash and conserve your batteries and reduce your cycling time).

Will post a picture later tonight (maybe).
Sounds real good! Eagerly awaiting your pic..anyone wanna share the cost? ;)

But, if the card is grey, would the flash be coloured? :embrass: i know it sounds dumb..

A grey card is used to set custom white balance, I believe, not so much for bouncing the flash.

Of course, if you want a particular colour cast for your flash, you can use whatever colour you want--red, yellow, green--for creative results.

Ah Pao said:
A grey card is used to set custom white balance, I believe, not so much for bouncing the flash.

Of course, if you want a particular colour cast for your flash, you can use whatever colour you want--red, yellow, green--for creative results.

Yeah, thats what i was curious about abt SS's suggestion. If it does well at bouncing flash (w/o colouring the flash), as well as a grey card, then why not? ;p

Wryer said:
Yeah, thats what i was curious about abt SS's suggestion. If it does well at bouncing flash (w/o colouring the flash), as well as a grey card, then why not? ;p

"Ah Pao: A grey card is used to set custom white balance, I believe, not so much for bouncing the flash.

Of course, if you want a particular colour cast for your flash, you can use whatever colour you want--red, yellow, green--for creative results. "

The other side of the grey card is pure white, i believe SS means that side rather then the "grey side"

cheers.

guess i'm the ultimate cheapo then. 2 rubber bands and a a4 paper folded to 1/4.

Ah Pao said:
Picture speaks a thousand words.

Probably the ultimate cheapo...cut a piece of white card from those plastic boards at ~$3/pc at any stationary shop and secure it to the flash with two rubber bands.

diybounce.jpg

PS: Taken with a cheapo webcam. :D