Which do u prefer: OmiBounce, Bounce Card or Diffuser?

How do u shoot with Flash?


Results are only viewable after voting.

hptay

New Member
Dec 12, 2002
476
0
0
39
www.pbase.com
#1
Harlowz,

Lookin for some tips here on achieving the most "natural" lighting effect when doing flash photography :dunno: :dunno:

Which do you normally use and why? :)
 

Yezrah

New Member
Jan 18, 2004
295
0
0
39
Sembawang
heaveartma.spaces.live.com
#2
OmniBounce is the easiest and safest to use (provided that you're still asking for very high stds). Other means of correcting flash exposure would require more skills and experiences.
 

hptay

New Member
Dec 12, 2002
476
0
0
39
www.pbase.com
#3
^_^~ been meaning to get an omnibounce... last time check around penisula.. no stock (for sigma 500DG)...
 

StreetShooter

Senior Member
Jan 17, 2002
4,634
0
0
Katong
streetshooter.clubsnap.org
#5
I hate my Omnibounce. So tight and hard to remove and put on, use up all my battery, longer recycling time.

Bounce card attached to flash using velcro is the best. Doubles up as a grey card for white balance as well!
 

Apr 25, 2003
113
0
0
Visit site
#7
StreetShooter said:
I hate my Omnibounce. So tight and hard to remove and put on, use up all my battery, longer recycling time.

Bounce card attached to flash using velcro is the best. Doubles up as a grey card for white balance as well!
Can anyone share to make a DIY bounce card? What material to use and etc.? Especially those that can double up as grey card?

Thanks in advance!
 

Kit

Senior Member
Jan 19, 2002
11,707
42
48
42
Upper Bukit Timah
Visit site
#8
ckiang said:
Omnibounce (whether the free Nikon one or the original Omnibounce) never give me good results compared to my cheap and trusty 5" bounce card. :)

Regards
CK
I used to use an omnibounce but after CK mentioned, I tried a 50 cents bounce card....... the omnibounce is history.
 

clive

Senior Member
Oct 9, 2002
2,537
0
0
Visit site
#10
sesame_street98 said:
Can anyone share to make a DIY bounce card? What material to use and etc.? Especially those that can double up as grey card?

Thanks in advance!
simplest method is just find any *white-enough* looking paper, cut to about 10x10cm then laminate
 

hptay

New Member
Dec 12, 2002
476
0
0
39
www.pbase.com
#11
Hi All,

With all this tok about DIY bounce cards ") could some kind soul out there post a pic of their own DIY end product ^_^~ much appreciated.

Will be trying to make my own and post the results sometime later :)
 

espn

Deregistered
Dec 20, 2002
21,905
0
0
Planet Nikon
#12
- Flash + omnibounce
- Flash + omnibounce + bounce card
- Flash + bounce card
- Flash direct

Any one of the above depending on location & light avaliablilty and the effect I want to capture. :)
 

behyx

Senior Member
Jun 15, 2002
2,645
0
36
35
SG
www.danielbeh.com
#13
Usually for not very dark situation, i still like to use big big aperture. More natural this way. Hehe...
 

StreetShooter

Senior Member
Jan 17, 2002
4,634
0
0
Katong
streetshooter.clubsnap.org
#14
sesame_street98 said:
Can anyone share to make a DIY bounce card? What material to use and etc.? Especially those that can double up as grey card?

Thanks in advance!
You buy a grey card from CP. About $25 for a set, but you can share with a few other people, because you only need a small piece, about 8cm by 10cm.

Get those velcro with adhesive backing from a hardware shop. Stick one side to the flash head, and the other to the bounce card.

Voila! you have a bounce card, which can easily be removed if there is no ceiling (in order to use direct flash and conserve your batteries and reduce your cycling time).

Will post a picture later tonight (maybe).
 

Ah Pao

Senior Member
Nov 7, 2003
1,663
0
36
Singapore
www.facebook.com
#15
Picture speaks a thousand words.

Probably the ultimate cheapo...cut a piece of white card from those plastic boards at ~$3/pc at any stationary shop and secure it to the flash with two rubber bands.


PS: Taken with a cheapo webcam. :D
 

Wryer

New Member
Dec 17, 2002
602
0
0
32
Tampines
Visit site
#16
StreetShooter said:
You buy a grey card from CP. About $25 for a set, but you can share with a few other people, because you only need a small piece, about 8cm by 10cm.

Get those velcro with adhesive backing from a hardware shop. Stick one side to the flash head, and the other to the bounce card.

Voila! you have a bounce card, which can easily be removed if there is no ceiling (in order to use direct flash and conserve your batteries and reduce your cycling time).

Will post a picture later tonight (maybe).
Sounds real good! Eagerly awaiting your pic..anyone wanna share the cost? ;)

But, if the card is grey, would the flash be coloured? :embrass: i know it sounds dumb..
 

Ah Pao

Senior Member
Nov 7, 2003
1,663
0
36
Singapore
www.facebook.com
#17
A grey card is used to set custom white balance, I believe, not so much for bouncing the flash.

Of course, if you want a particular colour cast for your flash, you can use whatever colour you want--red, yellow, green--for creative results.
 

Wryer

New Member
Dec 17, 2002
602
0
0
32
Tampines
Visit site
#18
Ah Pao said:
A grey card is used to set custom white balance, I believe, not so much for bouncing the flash.

Of course, if you want a particular colour cast for your flash, you can use whatever colour you want--red, yellow, green--for creative results.
Yeah, thats what i was curious about abt SS's suggestion. If it does well at bouncing flash (w/o colouring the flash), as well as a grey card, then why not? ;p
 

Dec 11, 2003
69
0
0
Visit site
#19
Wryer said:
Yeah, thats what i was curious about abt SS's suggestion. If it does well at bouncing flash (w/o colouring the flash), as well as a grey card, then why not? ;p
"Ah Pao: A grey card is used to set custom white balance, I believe, not so much for bouncing the flash.

Of course, if you want a particular colour cast for your flash, you can use whatever colour you want--red, yellow, green--for creative results. "


The other side of the grey card is pure white, i believe SS means that side rather then the "grey side"

cheers.
 

djork

New Member
Jul 14, 2002
1,157
0
0
Hong Kong, Pokfulam
Visit site
#20
guess i'm the ultimate cheapo then. 2 rubber bands and a a4 paper folded to 1/4.

Ah Pao said:
Picture speaks a thousand words.

Probably the ultimate cheapo...cut a piece of white card from those plastic boards at ~$3/pc at any stationary shop and secure it to the flash with two rubber bands.


PS: Taken with a cheapo webcam. :D
 

Top Bottom