Which digital Camera to buy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kevyan

Jan 5, 2005
PR
Hi all,

my Sony digital camera just died on me. Thinking of getting a new one, budget is around $600 - $700.

Can anyone recommend me some good digital cameras with a lots of manual control and auto functions.

I like the pictures my friend took, using his Nikon CoolPix 995. But that's too expensive for me.

I know some will tell me that it's the man behind the camera, but I still believe that the equipment plays a part.

Thanks in advance.

Kevin

kevyan said:
but I still believe that the equipment plays a part.

Thanks in advance.

Kevin

You don't even know what to buy and yet you think equip plays a part?

LimCB said:

What do you mean?

erm...coolpix 995? i dont think there is that model anymore. howbout the Canon A520 or A95? full of manual controls

Since you're budget is already a sizeable $700, I'd suggest saving up a little more for the Canon PowerShot S2 IS. With a 5 megapixel CCD, powerful 12X zoom, Canon's ultrasonic motor and image stabilizer features, it's a good package.

Also read more reviews at www.dcresource.com and www.dpreview.com and they may help you make a decision.

LimCB said:

I don't wish to start anything here, but to me, equip. plays a part. I know that you are not a believer of that.

Quote: If you are good, the camera don't matter. If you are not good, the camera don't matter also. So, yes, I agree with the topic title. - 04-12-2004 (Why Your Camera Does Not Matter )

But I also agree with some others....

Quote: Although the statement is true, it may be a little exaggerated. Try using a disposable camera to take pictures after sunset, or use a 50 mm to take telephoto pictures.

You need a decent level of equipment, but not equipment for everything.

Quote: strike a balance, don't dwell too much on equipment. Develop your skills as an photographer.

Quote: In essence I agree. BUT...if you are shooting certain events then 'better' cameras will help. I took a LOT of sports shots recently with my D70 and now my wrist is fu**ed. Had pins and needles in my fingers for two days - this could've been avoided with a D2H and it's vertical grip. So I think camera does matter - and my fingers do too!

No offence. Shalom.

And for those who gave me some suggestions on which camera to buy, I appreaciate it and thank you very much.

i'm in the same situation as u now .... i'm looking at Canon S2 SI, Canon G5/6, Panasonic Fz20 and Sony V3 .... but i've narrowed down to Canon G5 or G6

I thought of saving up more for Canon S2 SI, but I have 2 memory sticks, (128MB & 256MB).

So, if I buy Canon, don't know what to do with the 2 memory sticks...

I feel that if I buy Sony, I'm paying more for the brand.

If u already have memory sticks and are looking at long zoom with image stabilization, then Sony H1 should be high on your shopping list. Should you think that the storage media might be a problem in future, just get yourself a portable storage device like X-drive, etc. I prefer H1 over S2 as i find the latter has too aggressive noise reduction at high ISO, which make the pics look unnatural. Well, that's just me :p

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/sonydsch1/

Handphone will have 2MP to 3MP with marco soon, that will be really compact.

Try Panasonic DMC-FZ5 with 12x Leica len plus aperture & shutter priority
Venus II image processing engine to remove purple fringing. (Seem more obvious in 5MP and above)

FZ series is really good buy. Sony side, not much good models for your price range.

What was your last camera?

CYRN said:
FZ series is really good buy. Sony side, not much good models for your price range.

What was your last camera?

A basic Sony DSP-P72.

In that case, your options if you stick to Sony would be H1 or W5 or W7... stated in order of my personal preference based on price vs performance.

Status
Not open for further replies.