which digi cam for architecture?


Status
Not open for further replies.

xllms

New Member
Jan 31, 2002
83
0
0
42
AngMoKio, Singapore
Visit site
#1
Hi,

i'm thinking of upgrading my canon eos50 to a digital camera for photo taking on architecture/scenary/ppl...can somebody give me some advice

what r d range options tat r available in current digital camera...do they offer wide angle range like 20-24mm

due to budget constraint, i would certainly wish to spend less than 1.5k for all d necessary accessories

thanx

xllms
:)
 

ckiang

Senior Member
#2
Originally posted by xllms
Hi,

i'm thinking of upgrading my canon eos50 to a digital camera for photo taking on architecture/scenary/ppl...can somebody give me some advice

what r d range options tat r available in current digital camera...do they offer wide angle range like 20-24mm

due to budget constraint, i would certainly wish to spend less than 1.5k for all d necessary accessories

thanx

xllms
:)
Get an used EOS D30 and you can still use all your lenses, and buy new lenses later.

For serious architectural work, no consumer digicams are suitable. At least with DSLRs, you can get a tilt & shift lens. The consumer digital camera with the widest lens option is the Nikon Coolpix 5000. Without any adaptors, it can do 28mm. With the WC-E68 wide adaptor, it can go down to 19mm. But there's some barrel distortion.

So I suggest you get a used D30 and some good lenses instead. $1.5K should be able to get some decent Canon lenses.

Regards
CK
 

Kit

Senior Member
Jan 19, 2002
11,692
42
48
42
Upper Bukit Timah
Visit site
#3
Originally posted by ckiang


Get an used EOS D30 and you can still use all your lenses, and buy new lenses later.

For serious architectural work, no consumer digicams are suitable. At least with DSLRs, you can get a tilt & shift lens. The consumer digital camera with the widest lens option is the Nikon Coolpix 5000. Without any adaptors, it can do 28mm. With the WC-E68 wide adaptor, it can go down to 19mm. But there's some barrel distortion.

So I suggest you get a used D30 and some good lenses instead. $1.5K should be able to get some decent Canon lenses.

Regards
CK
But there's only 1.5k to spend. Getting the D30 means cannot get new lenses in the near future I assume.

Let me ask you. Why are you going into digital? Cost of processing and printing?

Why do you think its an upgrade to go from EOS 50 to a digicam? What is it that a digicam can offer that EOS 50 can't? I shoot architecture 99% of the time and is using film. I would recommend you stay with the 50 and get a 24mm TSE lens for about 2k if I remember correctly. If you're really serious about architecture shoots and want better perspective control, go with 4x5;p
 

ckiang

Senior Member
#4
Originally posted by Kit


But there's only 1.5k to spend. Getting the D30 means cannot get new lenses in the near future I assume.

Let me ask you. Why are you going into digital? Cost of processing and printing?

Why do you think its an upgrade to go from EOS 50 to a digicam? What is it that a digicam can offer that EOS 50 can't? I shoot architecture 99% of the time and is using film. I would recommend you stay with the 50 and get a 24mm TSE lens for about 2k if I remember correctly. If you're really serious about architecture shoots and want better perspective control, go with 4x5;p
heh, I originally read his post as wanting to buy a DC, and want to spend no more than $1.5K for accessories. ;p

Yeah, 4x5 is the way to go for serious architectural work.

Regards
CK
 

Flare

New Member
Jan 24, 2002
1,734
0
0
36
Bukit Batok West Avenue 2
public.fotki.com
#5
D7 also has at 28mm... But I think most consumer digital camera as significant barrel distortion at wide angle and which would be obvious when shooting architecture with those straight lines...

Am I right CK?
 

#7
Originally posted by Flare
D7 also has at 28mm... But I think most consumer digital camera as significant barrel distortion at wide angle and which would be obvious when shooting architecture with those straight lines...

Am I right CK?
Right! :thumbsup:

Regards
CK
 

xllms

New Member
Jan 31, 2002
83
0
0
42
AngMoKio, Singapore
Visit site
#8
thanx ppl...i am still not sure if i should upgrade...d reason why i wanna upgrade is becos i spend lots of $ developin d pics...and its worse when i am in uni, doin alot of survey work on sites to do my project....lots of time spent on scanning d pics in as well...tats one of d reason y i wanted to switch to digital...

d equipment u guys recommend me r way too expensive...it seems to be tat i am better off keeping my eos50...thanx alot guys

xllms
:)
 

Kit

Senior Member
Jan 19, 2002
11,692
42
48
42
Upper Bukit Timah
Visit site
#9
Originally posted by xllms
thanx ppl...i am still not sure if i should upgrade...d reason why i wanna upgrade is becos i spend lots of $ developin d pics...and its worse when i am in uni, doin alot of survey work on sites to do my project....lots of time spent on scanning d pics in as well...tats one of d reason y i wanted to switch to digital...

d equipment u guys recommend me r way too expensive...it seems to be tat i am better off keeping my eos50...thanx alot guys

xllms
:)
You are in my position. I shoot film and is constantly documenting sites for my projects. I was tempted to get a digital point and shoot for this purpose alone and keep my film for other photography needs. I decided to stick with film all the way. As for time spent on scanning, that's in the past for me. Now, when I document my sites, all I do is shoot in film, have it processed and burn it onto a CD. Get it all done in half a day. Resolution is decent enough to blow up to A3 if really needed to. Maybe you can try this. You doing architecture too?
 

xllms

New Member
Jan 31, 2002
83
0
0
42
AngMoKio, Singapore
Visit site
#10
Originally posted by Kit


You are in my position. I shoot film and is constantly documenting sites for my projects. I was tempted to get a digital point and shoot for this purpose alone and keep my film for other photography needs. I decided to stick with film all the way. As for time spent on scanning, that's in the past for me. Now, when I document my sites, all I do is shoot in film, have it processed and burn it onto a CD. Get it all done in half a day. Resolution is decent enough to blow up to A3 if really needed to. Maybe you can try this. You doing architecture too?
yup me doin architecture...my problem is partly solved when my bro-in-law has recently acquired a canon SLR. With a wider range of lense available to me n d possibility to get my pics processed n stored digitally, I can now say tat i'm in less dilemma.

Perhaps now I can get a 20-35mm canon usm lense....anyone willing to let go at a good price???

xllms
 

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom