Which dcam has faster shutter speed or image stabiliser?

Status
Not open for further replies.

wilson

Jan 22, 2003
Visit site
hi, me using Fuji 4700. Noticed that most times when taking pic, the subject always end up blurry due to hand shake or subject moving while the pic is taken.

Are there any better brands, models of dcam (for amateur use) that is better in this aspect?

Wilson

Originally posted by wilson
hi, me using Fuji 4700. Noticed that most times when taking pic, the subject always end up blurry due to hand shake or subject moving while the pic is taken.

Are there any better brands, models of dcam (for amateur use) that is better in this aspect?

Wilson

all digicam suffer from longer shutter lag compare to slr/dslr.

Only way is to pre-focus and "predict" the moment.

*sigh* I've been tolerating this 4700 for 3 years already. You mean this problem is still not fixed with the current crop of digital cams?

Wilson

Wilson

Your problem is simply due to the fact that the shutter speed is too low.

This is because there is not enough light for a faster shutter speed.

You could either turn on the flash on your camera, or set to a higher ISO if possible.

There are many ways to fix this problem.

Eh? Are you the same guy who also answer my thread in HWZ? I wrote in HWZ first, then later I realised maybe here will be more appropriate... think I'll stop HWZ and continue here.

Thanks for your replies. My needs are to take reasonably good digital photos of my kids. So, cost of DSLR is not justified.

I've tried higher ISO on my 4700, but the pictures all turn out grainy and I find it quite unacceptable.

Do you think there are other controls which I can enhance the picture taking or buy a new digital cam with better ISO? I'm thinking of the current crop of 3MP dcams which is around the $500 range...

Wilson

Originally posted by Zerstorer

You could either turn on the flash on your camera, or set to a higher ISO if possible.

As to your solution of using flash, I am using flash.

i think after writing so many replies, I'm inclined to think it's not so much of hand shaking, it's more to do with camera slow shutter speeds. Many times, you know kids, very hard to make them stay still. Sometimes head move a little bit, the body move a little bit. Then the picture I got have shadows...

Originally posted by Zerstorer

All digicams suffer from image noise at ISO settings higher than 200.

Some have acceptible ISO noise at ISO400(Fuji S602) but they are all out of your budget.

You could try the following software which helps remove noise from images: www.neatimage.com

Have you tried using the on camera flash? Is it sufficient?

My recommendation would be to keep a lookout for a 2nd hand Canon G1 which should be within 400-500 and then add an external flash to it.

If you do not want to use flash, then there isn't any other solution for this.

To capture moving subjects such as hyperactive kids in low light without flash is difficult for any camera. Film cameras loaded with ISO800 film will fare better than any digicam.

You might wan to post a pic and let us see. Maybe from there, we can draw a better judgement as to where it might have gone wrong.

Ok, I'll post one sample tonight when I get back home. Now in office. Shucks, raining heavily outside...

Originally posted by Bluestrike
You might wan to post a pic and let us see. Maybe from there, we can draw a better judgement as to where it might have gone wrong.

As to your solution of using flash, I am using flash.

i think after writing so many replies, I'm inclined to think it's not so much of hand shaking, it's more to do with camera slow shutter speeds. Many times, you know kids, very hard to make them stay still. Sometimes head move a little bit, the body move a little bit. Then the picture I got have shadows...

Think there are three issues here.

One is shutter lag (not shutter speed), which is the time taken from the moment you press the shutter to the time the pic is taken. This results in the subject not being in the position you intended. To reduce the problem, you need to prefocus first before taking the pic (half press the shutter to prefocus).

Second, is the inability of the camera to focus thus causing blurness. Moving subject under low light might result in improper focus (e.g. focus on the background) thus causing the subject to be blurred. As with the first case, you could reduce the problem with pre-focus.

Third, is slow shutter speed causing blurness. This should not occur when flash is used unless you use the slowsync flash mode which results in a slow shutter speed. If you use normal flash modes, the shutter speed is usually fast enough (I believe 1/60s for the camera) to freeze the subject unless the subject really move so fast or you're super unsteady. With flash, you tend to have shadows.

u can try the lumix fz1... 12x zoom f2.0-2.4 and OIS
probly give u double the shutter...

BUT the image quality not very good at 400.. in fact 'good' cannot be used in the same sentence.. hehe

Originally posted by denizenx
u can try the lumix fz1... 12x zoom f2.0-2.4 and OIS
probly give u double the shutter...

BUT the image quality not very good at 400.. in fact 'good' cannot be used in the same sentence.. hehe

denizenx, though IS or VR gives one 2-3 stops of extra shutter range, it doesn't give you double the shutter speed to capture motion. This technology is only good for image stablization, meaning to say, 1/30 is still 1/30, 1/15 is still 1/15 and so on, it helps in maintaining a stable shot but it doesn't do anything to compensate the shutter speed needed for that particular motion shot.

:)

Originally posted by Avatar
denizenx, though IS or VR gives one 2-3 stops of extra shutter range, it doesn't give you double the shutter speed to capture motion. This technology is only good for image stablization, meaning to say, 1/30 is still 1/30, 1/15 is still 1/15 and so on, it helps in maintaining a stable shot but it doesn't do anything to compensate the shutter speed needed for that particular motion shot.

:)

orh no lah... the 4700 is probly a 2.8-3.5, I was comparing the 2.0-2.4...
else would be like 6x stabler then... I had IS lenses before too u know ;p

Status
Not open for further replies.