Which DC is better?

Which DC is better?

Results are only viewable after voting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

chyeo

May 6, 2002
Woodlands
Which one is better? I thinking of getting a 2nd hand one...

Are you talking about better in terms of pic quality? Or value-for-money? Or features?

Each of them have got their individual strong points. It depends on what you're looking for.

Think my budget around $1K to $1.5K...go more for picture quality as well as the capability to have manual exposures...this one very important...

Originally posted by chyeo
Think my budget around $1K to $1.5K...
Do note that the Nikon CP5700 retail price is about $1600 excluding GST, or at least that was what I was quoted last week at CP, so it's slightly beyond the upper end of your budget range. However, if you do have the cash to spare, I strongly recommend that you go down and try it out for yourself. In my opinion, it's a pretty fantastic camera with more than enough features to satisfy most prosumer-level photographers (as I'm sure CP5700 owners here will testify).

if you want a fast lens, good image quality, E-TTL flash support and smaller body, go for G2.

if you want the longest zoom and don't mind the limited external flash support, go for the Nikon 5700.

if you prefer wide-angle, manual focus ring, zoom ring and good (proprietary) external flash support, go for the 7i.

Dimage 5, Dimage 7 and G1 are out because they have been superceded by later models.

Hmm....actually I don't really like CP5700.
After looking thru dpreview forums, i gather the following bad points of CP5700:

1. Poor auto-focus ( contrast method ), esp in low-light situations.
Takes long time to focus or focus wrong objects

2. Shutter lag ( so bad for action shots )

3. Very poor battery life ( 90min, maybe 120 shots? )

4. No filter thread ( so can't even protect lens using UV filter )

Sorry, but don't quite understand why ppl actually go for it. Because of 8x zoom? Small and compact?
No doubt it has gd features, but I feel poor auto-focus will definitely frustrate u.
I know no camera is perfect, but to me, gd auto-focus is one of the more important things that I look for in a DC.
So far, I feel that F707's auto-focus is the best, even in no light.

=)

Why nobody mentions F707?

Pros:

1. Accurate auto-focus, even in no light, but not that fast

2. Best battery life ( 180min, 300+ shots? )

3. 58mm filter thread

4. Vivid colours, but no control for saturation, contrast....

People usually say that sony memory sticks are expensive, that's right, but think this way, F707 has the best battery life amongst all DCs, so there's really no need for one to buy a spare one.
This money can be used to pay for the MS. For other DCs, u usually need to invest on spare batts, so it all cancels out, isnt it?
=)

digital slr still the best
:cry:

Yup I agree DSLR is the best but I have no money to buy...still have to splurge on some studio equipment...

I was actually quite attracted to D1X for some time...haha...

Anyway, thanks for all the advice given...how's the F707 and S602Z? How much they cost (new and 2nd hand)?

Oh yah by the way, if any of you guys selling the above polled cameras, please SMS me at 94799265. Thanks.

Yup I agree DSLR is the best but I have no money to buy...still have to splurge on some studio equipment...

I was actually quite attracted to D1X for some time...haha...

Anyway, thanks for all the advice given...how's the F707 and S602Z? How much they cost (new and 2nd hand)?

A new 707 should be around $1500+.

IMO, this is about the closest to a DSLR as you can get...cos the lens is fast and quite long...38-190mm equiv.

Bad points would be that its larger than the compacts, eg G2, cos of the quite large (in terms of small DCs, the lens is actually quite small when compared against a 'real' 38-200 lens. :) )

The size of the camera does not matter to me...;)

The size of the camera does not matter to me...;)

Are you positively sure?

You can't lug a bulky camera with you ALL the time, you tend to leave it at home.

What good is a super good camera (D1X or whatever) if its at home and you are forced to miss taking the picture??

If you are just starting out, well I'll tell you to save for DSLR if you are the fussy type. Look at your other hobbies, you do want to get the best (or the best u can afford?)

Don't get something, only to regret it. Think of all the different situations you might want to take photos of.

Potraits - Okay
Macro Shots (Use closeup filter/extension tube)
Street (Digi fares well here cos its erasable + advantage of pivotable if u are going for cams like 707 or cp995)
Stage -- Okay, can still use teleconverter
Landscapes
Animals -- Teleconverter!
Sports - Pray for strong sunlight...else possible to get motion blur (see below)
Photojournalism - Generally okay, but if its low light/fast... (see below)
Low Light Photography --> Important cos no filter in the world can give you more stops of light! And noisy/limited ISO range will prevent you from taking nice pictures when its rather dark! (indoor functions/concerts/plays, etc)

This is the NO. 1 reason why I regretted (slightly) getting my F707, otherwise its great! :)

Originally posted by Peter
Hmm....actually I don't really like CP5700.
After looking thru dpreview forums, i gather the following bad points of CP5700:

Ah yes, the forum full of whiners, moaners, and basically people who shouldn't be near any camera.

1. Poor auto-focus ( contrast method ), esp in low-light situations.
Takes long time to focus or focus wrong objects

Most DCs use the same way to AF, all are slow anyway, just that some are slower than others.

2. Shutter lag ( so bad for action shots )

Even the best consumer DC has way too much shutter lag for serious action work.

3. Very poor battery life ( 90min, maybe 120 shots? )

Crippling yes, if its that bad. Maybe MB-5700 would be a good option for heavy shooters?

4. No filter thread ( so can't even protect lens using UV filter )

You can always add the adaptor ring if you really must have a UV filter.

Sorry, but don't quite understand why ppl actually go for it. Because of 8x zoom? Small and compact?
No doubt it has gd features, but I feel poor auto-focus will definitely frustrate u.

Let's see, good egronomics, good glass optimised for the longer focal lengths, compact for its size, controls that cater to more flexible shooting options, and how about a real hotshoe?

I know no camera is perfect, but to me, gd auto-focus is one of the more important things that I look for in a DC.
So far, I feel that F707's auto-focus is the best, even in no light.

To each his own, I personally don't like Sony cameras, they're nothing more than technical toys to the gadget conscious geek.

Originally posted by Zoomer

Are you positively sure?

You can't lug a bulky camera with you ALL the time, you tend to leave it at home.

What good is a super good camera (D1X or whatever) if its at home and you are forced to miss taking the picture??

If you are just starting out, well I'll tell you to save for DSLR if you are the fussy type. Look at your other hobbies, you do want to get the best (or the best u can afford?)

Don't get something, only to regret it. Think of all the different situations you might want to take photos of.

Potraits - Okay
Macro Shots (Use closeup filter/extension tube)
Street (Digi fares well here cos its erasable + advantage of pivotable if u are going for cams like 707 or cp995)
Stage -- Okay, can still use teleconverter
Landscapes
Animals -- Teleconverter!
Sports - Pray for strong sunlight...else possible to get motion blur (see below)
Photojournalism - Generally okay, but if its low light/fast... (see below)
Low Light Photography --> Important cos no filter in the world can give you more stops of light! And noisy/limited ISO range will prevent you from taking nice pictures when its rather dark! (indoor functions/concerts/plays, etc)

This is the NO. 1 reason why I regretted (slightly) getting my F707, otherwise its great! :)

Hmm I not just starting out on photography...doing freelance work now...but don't have a digital camera so thinking of getting one...

Status
Not open for further replies.