Sep 27, 2003
Visit site
Minolta A1
F2.8-F3.5/11
Max shutter 1/16000

Sony F828
F2.0-F8
Max shutter 1/3200

So which camera is faster to freeze a action. Having a fast lens or fast shutter speed. I'm new to these terminology

:confused:

botakhead said:
Minolta A1
F2.8-F3.5/11
Max shutter 1/16000

Sony F828
F2.0-F8
Max shutter 1/3200

So which camera is faster. Having a fast lens or fast shutter speed. I'm new to these terminology

in theory, Sony should be faster.

In practical, donno, also depending on the autofocusing speed of the camera, since I guess you will most probably be using autofocusing. However, with higher aperture, Sony can take a picture "faster" in lower light, in normal lighting, there should not be much difference.

The Max Shutter allow you to take faster moving object, if the lighting conditions is optimum.

botakhead said:
Minolta A1
F2.8-F3.5/11
Max shutter 1/16000

Sony F828
F2.0-F8
Max shutter 1/3200

So which camera is faster to freeze a action. Having a fast lens or fast shutter speed. I'm new to these terminology

Sony...of course..!! :bsmilie:

sony has aperture that can go as low as f2.0, therefore allowing a faster shutter speed..!

whereas Minolta a1's aperture is at f2.8, and the shutter speed has to be slower in order to get the correct exposure!

:D :D

you still can force a high shutter speed, and just risk underexposing an image. use flash then - flash can freeze motion.

Thanks for the reply guys. Learn some new stuff. Appreciate it

;)

does it also depends on your hands & fingers as well? i mean, i can never take fast shot as my reaction quite slow, i like to get the focus done nicely then i press the shutter fully. Or do you guys just see the pic & press fully without the 1/2 press?

I tried to freeze the waterfall action with my A1 during daytime..setting the shutter priority to 1/16000 and the corresponding aperture was set accordingly automatically by the camera. However my image turn out dark.....so how should i freeze it

botakhead said:
I tried to freeze the waterfall action with my A1 during daytime..setting the shutter priority to 1/16000 and the corresponding aperture was set accordingly automatically by the camera. However my image turn out dark.....so how should i freeze it

What is the lighting condition? ..... shutter priority of 1/16000? What are you trying to take? With that shutter speed, chances are you can only take the sun when you are pointing at it :) ..... For your case, chances are you A1 will force use Aperture f/2.8, but it might still not be big enough to capture the lights.

If the day is good, drop it to 1/8000 or 1/4000 and take the waterfall, you should be able to pick up a good "freeze" :)

botakhead said:

you cannot just set any shutter speed and expect the output to be properly exposed. if you set too fast, and the largest aperture (smallest number) and highest ISO on the camera still give underexposed pics, you need to set a slower shutter speed.

My purpose is to test the max shutter of the A1 since it can support 1/16000. So what type of subjects, can i take utilizing this capacity? bullets fired from the gun??
;p

botakhead said:
My purpose is to test the max shutter of the A1 since it can support 1/16000. So what type of subjects, can i take utilizing this capacity? bullets fired from the gun??
;p

Bullet fired from the gun can be captured in 1/8000, maybe you may want to test lighting? :p ..... But anyway, why bother to test until this speed?

botakhead said:

yes, indeed. you can take pictures of the sun using that shutter speed, and lowest iso, since the sun is a damned bright celestial object.

by pushing for 1/16000s shutter speed, and not understand the sufficient speed to freeze the action you want - that means you have to know a lot more about your subject first.

Status
Not open for further replies.