Which DataBank is more stable & worth for money?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sky6108

May 26, 2007
@ Sing@pore
Dear all,

I'm currently thinking of getting a DataBank for my overseas trip. But not sure which one to get as there's too many brands out in the market. :dunno:
Therefore would like to check if anyone of you got any DataBank to recommend.
Cheers & Thanks for viewing the thread. :)

Digimate V would be nice if u are not doing raw.

RAW cannot work??

Dear all,

I'm currently thinking of getting a DataBank for my overseas trip. But not sure which one to get as there's too many brands out in the market. :dunno:
Therefore would like to check if anyone of you got any DataBank to recommend.
Cheers & Thanks for viewing the thread. :)
if you have a lightweight laptop, bring that.

All databanks suck. I have gone thru way too many to count.

if you have a lightweight laptop, bring that.
All databanks suck. I have gone thru way too many to count.

Actually I'm thinking if i can do away with my laptop and bring databank cos it might be more portable. :think: However i did heard a few cons about databank against the pros of laptop

I travel with a ultra portable Dell Inspirion 710. Planning on getting an ultra ultra portable like the Fujitsu Lifebook or even just upgrade to a Dell 1210. Wth a notebook you can do some post processing why on the trip, and shoot teethered too.

For the money wasted on portable drives/data banks, I could probably get an extra ultra portable :)

I travel with a ultra portable Dell Inspirion 710. Planning on getting an ultra ultra portable like the Fujitsu Lifebook or even just upgrade to a Dell 1210. Wth a notebook you can do some post processing why on the trip, and shoot teethered too.

For the money wasted on portable drives/data banks, I could probably get an extra ultra portable :)

Have you tried NEXTO ULTRA ND-2525 from East Gear
I am thinking of getting one
Seems rather good but i dont know of any real life experience

In the last 5 years, I went thru 7 databank. Of the 7, 1 HDD failed during the life of the databank. However, all 7 databanks/enclosure failed. I tried no name brands (they really suck), tried Eastgear's, tried Digimate, tried everything under the sun ... they all failed. Of the 6 surviving 2.5" HDD, 5 are still running fine in their own dumb portable casings.

My suspicions are the batteries, the card reader, cost cutting, lousy design and alike are casuing all the problems.

i take this as " YES, I did try NEXTO ULTRA " ?

East Gear sells a few such portable hard disk and some no names ones too.
I am staying away from the no names but PD7X and the NEXTO seemed to have some good feedback.

Maybe I should try the MAXTOR or SEAGATE mini II or something like those ??

they are usb powered so no batteries .........then again heat maybe an issue ?

i brought my digimate III backpacking for the past month with no issues. only protected with bubble wrapping. personally i practice having double copies of my favourite photos. i lock my favourite photos on the cf cards and then backup the whole card onto the digimate. that way if one is stolen/breaks down i don't lose all my favourite photos.

everything breaks down sooner or later, whether cheap or expensive. just don't put all your eggs in 1 basket. enjoy your trip! ;)

RAW cannot work??

Yup most of them doesnt support RAW format if u wanna view them on the databank. But if u wanna just save them, u will not have any problem. Pls check carefully to see if it support raw format viewing.

Status
Not open for further replies.