Which DataBank is more stable & worth for money?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sky6108

May 26, 2007
@ Sing@pore
Dear all,

I'm currently thinking of getting a DataBank for my overseas trip. But not sure which one to get as there's too many brands out in the market. :dunno:
Therefore would like to check if anyone of you got any DataBank to recommend.
Cheers & Thanks for viewing the thread. :)

cater

Apr 12, 2007
Digimate V would be nice if u are not doing raw.

Deadpoet

Oct 18, 2004
Dear all,

I'm currently thinking of getting a DataBank for my overseas trip. But not sure which one to get as there's too many brands out in the market. :dunno:
Therefore would like to check if anyone of you got any DataBank to recommend.
Cheers & Thanks for viewing the thread. :)
if you have a lightweight laptop, bring that.

All databanks suck. I have gone thru way too many to count.

sky6108

May 26, 2007
@ Sing@pore
if you have a lightweight laptop, bring that.
All databanks suck. I have gone thru way too many to count.
Actually I'm thinking if i can do away with my laptop and bring databank cos it might be more portable. :think: However i did heard a few cons about databank against the pros of laptop

Deadpoet

Oct 18, 2004
I travel with a ultra portable Dell Inspirion 710. Planning on getting an ultra ultra portable like the Fujitsu Lifebook or even just upgrade to a Dell 1210. Wth a notebook you can do some post processing why on the trip, and shoot teethered too.

For the money wasted on portable drives/data banks, I could probably get an extra ultra portable :)

Apr 4, 2007
I travel with a ultra portable Dell Inspirion 710. Planning on getting an ultra ultra portable like the Fujitsu Lifebook or even just upgrade to a Dell 1210. Wth a notebook you can do some post processing why on the trip, and shoot teethered too.

For the money wasted on portable drives/data banks, I could probably get an extra ultra portable :)
Have you tried NEXTO ULTRA ND-2525 from East Gear
I am thinking of getting one
Seems rather good but i dont know of any real life experience

Deadpoet

Oct 18, 2004
In the last 5 years, I went thru 7 databank. Of the 7, 1 HDD failed during the life of the databank. However, all 7 databanks/enclosure failed. I tried no name brands (they really suck), tried Eastgear's, tried Digimate, tried everything under the sun ... they all failed. Of the 6 surviving 2.5" HDD, 5 are still running fine in their own dumb portable casings.

My suspicions are the batteries, the card reader, cost cutting, lousy design and alike are casuing all the problems.

Apr 4, 2007
i take this as " YES, I did try NEXTO ULTRA " ?

East Gear sells a few such portable hard disk and some no names ones too.
I am staying away from the no names but PD7X and the NEXTO seemed to have some good feedback.

Maybe I should try the MAXTOR or SEAGATE mini II or something like those ??

they are usb powered so no batteries .........then again heat maybe an issue ?

allsmilez

Jul 11, 2006
Bukit Timah
i brought my digimate III backpacking for the past month with no issues. only protected with bubble wrapping. personally i practice having double copies of my favourite photos. i lock my favourite photos on the cf cards and then backup the whole card onto the digimate. that way if one is stolen/breaks down i don't lose all my favourite photos.

everything breaks down sooner or later, whether cheap or expensive. just don't put all your eggs in 1 basket. enjoy your trip! ;)

cater

Apr 12, 2007
RAW cannot work??
Yup most of them doesnt support RAW format if u wanna view them on the databank. But if u wanna just save them, u will not have any problem. Pls check carefully to see if it support raw format viewing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom