Which CRT monitor?

Status
Not open for further replies.

funtasy

Sep 19, 2002
Visit site
I was using the Samsung SyncMaster 753 DFX when I 'upgraded' to the Samsung SyncMaster 713N LCD. Now I really wish I have not given away the CRT monitor. I am too use to a CRT for my images. I intend to get back a 17 inch CRT monitor. What would you guys recommend for a budget of $300. Thought of getting back a new Samsung 753DFX but they have been discontinued. :(

Trinitron, DiamondTron or similar technology CRT are gone. Your best bet now is the Philips, Samsung and Viewsonic. Philips got the best warranty and aftersales support offered.

funtasy said:
I was using the Samsung SyncMaster 753 DFX when I 'upgraded' to the Samsung SyncMaster 713N LCD. Now I really wish I have not given away the CRT monitor. I am too use to a CRT for my images. I intend to get back a 17 inch CRT monitor. What would you guys recommend for a budget of $300. Thought of getting back a new Samsung 753DFX but they have been discontinued. :(

I know there are some places (warehouses) that sell refurbished CRT monitors. I don't know how to look for them but a friend of mine got a really nice 21-inch Sony Trinitron for about $200.

funtasy said:

I believe Fuwell sells the 793DF. Maybe you could give that a shot?

It seems to be the same in terms of specifications..

Using a 753DFX, not a true flat CRT heh. The only way to get Trinitron tubed ones would be 2nd hand. You might want to check out the Garage Sales aka Buy and Sell forum in http://forums.hardwarezone.com

Thanks you guys for the recommendations. Got myself a Samsung 795MB this evening. Now another problem arises because it is placed too near my 14 inch TV. Signal interference on the monitor.

funtasy said:
Thanks you guys for the recommendations. Got myself a Samsung 795MB this evening. Now another problem arises because it is placed too near my 14 inch TV. Signal interference on the monitor.

Could you check if the 795MB is capable of 100Hz refresh rates at 1024 * 768? I might want to get it..
Oh, and does it come with a detachable VGA cord or is it built-in?

Firefox said:
Could you check if the 795MB is capable of 100Hz refresh rates at 1024 * 768? I might want to get it..
Oh, and does it come with a detachable VGA cord or is it built-in?
At 1024 X 768, up to 85Hz only. VGA cord is built in.

funtasy said:
At 1024 X 768, up to 85Hz only. VGA cord is built in.

Oh.. Ok.. Thanks anyway.. That kinda sucks for me...

For any non-Trinitron, Non-DiamondTron similar CRT, anything that is 17" will unlikely have 100hz@1024x768. To get that you will need a 19". Maybe there are 1 or 2 exceptions, but very rare.

theITguy said:
For any non-Trinitron, Non-DiamondTron similar CRT, anything that is 17" will unlikely have 100hz@1024x768. To get that you will need a 19". Maybe there are 1 or 2 exceptions, but very rare.

That's odd. My old NEC 15" was capable of 1024 * 768 @ 100Hz.. Hrmm..

Maybe I should just fork out the extra $$$ for the Eizo L568 or L578.. The L578 looks good though.. 16ms for a 24bit panel.. Impressive...

CRTs can be found for cheap when shipping charges are not applicable. Maybe try www.roosster.com and search the deals.

If u dun mind second hand, u may try ur luck at hardwarezone garage sale section.

Sony G series or Samsung NF series is highly recommended. :thumbsup:

hafele said:
If u dun mind second hand, u may try ur luck at hardwarezone garage sale section.

Sony G series or Samsung NF series is highly recommended. :thumbsup:

No point buying a 2nd hand CRT since the phosphurs would be faded.. And the main point in getting a CRT is for the colours.

Status
Not open for further replies.