Which CPL to buy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

zzyzx

Aug 25, 2007
i wanna get a 46mm CPL for my FZ18 but got the following queries:

1) which brand is better to get? and it's rough price. i dun wanna chop like carrot head.

2) will it be okie if i stack the CPL on top of a B+W UV filter?

TIA

i wanna get a 46mm CPL for my FZ18 but got the following queries:

1) which brand is better to get? and it's rough price. i dun wanna chop like carrot head.

2) will it be okie if i stack the CPL on top of a B+W UV filter?

TIA
1. Hoya/tokina... etc will do fine
2. you can, but recommended to use 1 piece of filter to minimise/avoid vignette and loss of image quality

2. you can, but recommended to use 1 piece of filter to minimise/avoid vignette and loss of image quality

thanks..

if i use two lenses, confirm will cause loss of IQ? wat if i use better lens?

regarding vignette, if i use the DMW-LA3 (pic below) and fix a 55.8mm CPL, do you think it'll still happen?

DMW-LA3 pict: http://www.ivanwong.com/ebay/Panasonic/DMW-LA3.jpg

thanks..

if i use two lenses, confirm will cause loss of IQ? wat if i use better lens?

regarding vignette, if i use the DMW-LA3 (pic below) and fix a 55.8mm CPL, do you think it'll still happen?

DMW-LA3 pict: http://www.ivanwong.com/ebay/Panasonic/DMW-LA3.jpg

there will always be a drop in image quality even with the highest quality filter, its just a matter of significant/visible or not..

as for using 55mm adapt, its too early to tell, doubt anyone here have handed both fz18 and the adapt. but most probably vignette will be there if you stack

If you are a B+W die hard fan then get their MRC CPL also! Don't stack filters. At the end of the day, you will just ask yourself i could have had a better quality picture if i hadn't stacked the filters ;)

i believe hoya+tokina+silk+kenko=thk photo so hoya and tokina same brand

for the filter, ive been using hoya's cpl (77mm) on my 12-24; works out well, except significant vignetting at the 12mm end

i suppose it would be worse if u stacked the filters, if u have that intention, get a thinner polariser, std 1s have 2 pieces of glass

cheers

Unless you need to deal with reflecting surfaces, a CPL is practically a useless piece of glass. ND is more useful.

Unless you need to deal with reflecting surfaces, a CPL is practically a useless piece of glass. ND is more useful.

hmm... now i got to search wat is natural density filter and the diff of it compared to CPL...

Am I right to say that ND is used for the flollowing condition:

I take a landscape pic and the result is that my sky is overexposed while my foreground is underexposed or vice versa. I use a ND to correct these exposures due to mixed lighting.

On the other hand, a CPL is used to saturate the colors and cut off reflections. It is not possible to solve the mixed lighting as describled above.

Am I right to say that ND is used for the flollowing condition:

I take a landscape pic and the result is that my sky is overexposed while my foreground is underexposed or vice versa. I use a ND to correct these exposures due to mixed lighting.

On the other hand, a CPL is used to saturate the colors and cut off reflections. It is not possible to solve the mixed lighting as describled above.

maybe this should do the trick

http://www.hoyafilter.com/products/hoya/oef-08.html

Status
Not open for further replies.