Which compact?

Which compact?

Results are only viewable after voting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

DiGdUb

Apr 24, 2006
i'm deciding between sony wx1, canon s90, fujifilm f200exr and panasonic lx3. main consideration is that they all have better low light capability amongst the compacts. leaning towards the wx1 because of the exmor r sensor, 24mm, f2.4 and 5 times zoom. mainly for travel use.

Last edited:
i'm deciding between sony wx1, canon s90, fujifilm f200exr and panasonic lx3. main consideration is that they all have better low light capability amongst the compacts. leaning towards the wx1 because of the exmor r sensor, 24mm, f2.4 and 5 times zoom. mainly for travel use.

How much is your budget?
How much is WX1?

I have seen the image quality of WX1, pretty decent low light performance. Yet I'm just observed from friends normal photo taking, not done a proper testing.
However, if you really want f2.4, LX3 and S90 also offer f2.0 - f2.8 / f4.9.
Sensor of Canon should similar to that of LX3, and both are better then WX1, in terms of pixel density.

Is WX1 comes with full manual control? Do you want the manual control like LX3 and S90?

Also, if you need to get it within 2 weeks, S90 might not on shelf locally yet...

Last edited:
budget ard $700. wx1 no manual controls. manual control would probably be nice to have, but not essential to me on a compact.

Been considering btw the above compacts too (for even more choice, you might wanna throw in the Fujifilm F70 EXR...wider zoom range than the F200 EXR).

The Panny LX3 seems to be the most popular choice so far among most people. However, the Canon S90 which has just been released (overseas, not in Sg yet) has been getting mostly positive reviews too, esp for its low light capability. Not too sure about the WX1 though.

You can do side by side comparison of all the compacts mentioned at dpreview.com. Its hard to make a choice that is right for you becoz your preference may be dictated by other factors which you may consider more important than what others might think.

Anyway, my personal choices from the above would be ranked as follows (in descending order of priority):

1. Canon S90
2. Panasonic LX3
3. Fujifilm F200 EXR
4. Sony WX1

get F200EXR for breathtaking DR range that can only be rivaled by top end dSLR.. ;)
once you get hooked onto fujifilm colours, there is no turning back.. ;)

All compact above $500 from Canon, Nikon, Sony and Panasonic will give decent pictures.

get F200EXR for breathtaking DR range that can only be rivaled by top end dSLR.. ;)
once you get hooked onto fujifilm colours, there is no turning back.. ;)
actually i have the fujifilm e900, that is getting quite old. mainly looking for good low light performance.

Well, if that is so, the Canon S90 should be your best bet - for now.
any reason for the s90? i understand that the s90 has a large aperture at the wide end, but zoom in and it becomes quite small aperture.

any reason for the s90? i understand that the s90 has a large aperture at the wide end, but zoom in and it becomes quite small aperture.

You may check at what focal length the aperture change.
LX3
24mm - 60mm
f2.0 - - - -f2.8
S90
28mm - 60mm - 105mm
f2.0 - - - - f?? - - - - - f4.9

Also, low light performance are not solely rely on how wide the aperture. The ISO performance / quality is important too...

Last edited:
Yes, that is one of the (perceived) downsides of the S90, but in reality how often do you use the wide end compare to the zoom end? If you use the latter more, perhaps makes more sense in getting a cam wif faster aperture at the long zoom range.

But I guess the better than normal high ISO performance makes up for that (rather small for me) downside.

LX3
24mm - 60mm
f2.0 - - - -f2.8
S90
28mm - 60mm - 105mm
f2.0 - - - - f3.5(?) - - - - - f4.9
S90 has aperture of f3.5 at 60mm (according to users comments at dpreview.com forum)

Also, low light performance are not solely rely on how wide the aperture. The ISO performance / quality is important too...
Agree on this.

All compact above $500 from Canon, Nikon, Sony and Panasonic will give decent pictures.

Diavonex, Canon's Ixus range will not be as good as the models that TS stated right? (eg. the new Ixus 200 IS is priced at $599, RRP)

LX3
24mm - 60mm
f2.0 - - - -f2.8
S90
28mm - 60mm - 105mm
f2.0 - - - - f?? - - - - - f4.9

the lx3's zoom range is quite limiting for me. i see that the sony and fujifilm are the 2 compacts that have some sort of different technology on their sensors to improve low light sensitivty, while the canon and panasonic are basically relying on big aperture. and the sony seems to have the best of both worlds - a relatively large aperture and new sensor technology and stacking to reduce noise, albeit with a smaller sensor chip. it is also capable of fast continuous shooting and sweep pano which will most likely come in handy during travel. so thats why i'm leaning towards the sony.

Anyway is it confirmed that the S90 ISO performance is better than the LX3?

Anyway is it confirmed that the S90 ISO performance is better than the LX3?
From initial user reviews and reports and samples...it seems yes. (as always taken with a pinch of salt). Of course if you are cautious it might be better to wait for official reviews for the S90 to be out before making the informed choice.

i bought the wx1. the low light shots using the twilight handheld mode is indeed pretty impressive.

That sounds interesting. Will definitely keep a lookout for the reviews. One of the thing about the S90 which I prefer over the LX3 is the omission of the lens-cap. For convenience sake, I definitely prefer a built-in lens-cap.

From initial user reviews and reports and samples...it seems yes. (as always taken with a pinch of salt). Of course if you are cautious it might be better to wait for official reviews for the S90 to be out before making the informed choice.

That sounds interesting. Will definitely keep a lookout for the reviews. One of the thing about the S90 which I prefer over the LX3 is the omission of the lens-cap. For convenience sake, I definitely prefer a built-in lens-cap.
Yeah the lens cap thingy can be a PITA sometimes. I also prefer built in lens cap. Also prefer the S90 form factor over the LX3.

Still no sign of S90 in Singapore yet tho.... :dunno:

........ One of the thing about the S90 which I prefer over the LX3 is the omission of the lens-cap. For convenience sake, I definitely prefer a built-in lens-cap.

Is that why you sold your LX3?

Status
Not open for further replies.