Which compact camera?

Status
Not open for further replies.

2.8photography

Jul 19, 2007
Hi :D,

I own a Nikon D70s and several lenses, but am looking for a compact camera - something small and easy to carry around.

I have a budget of around $400, but it is pretty flexible. Am looking for at least 10MP and a 3" screen would be nice. I'm looking for a camera with something special (touch screen, high MP count, etc. except high optical zoom, which i do not require)

Was looking at the Nikon S60, but have read some pretty bad reviews about its IQ, and thus am considering the S230 (which is new, so largely unavailable).

Also considering the 14MP Nikon S710 and Canon Ixus 980/990 IS.

Are there any cameras to recommend?

Thanks in advance.

I recommend the Canon G10 or the older model G9 (which is still available) but it is beyond the S$400 budget.

The reviews rate the Canon G10 & G9 very highly.

This is a good compact camera for one who has been used to a dSLR, with features including a viewfinder as well as 3" TFT screen, the necessary presets/adjustments besides the normal auto modes like in most dSLR cameras.

You can also fit on teleconvertor lens for the G10 too.

The Canon Ixus 980/990 IS is a compact camera. I had the Ixus 960 IS which served its function well.

For real small and compact, the Canon Ixus 90, a pocket camera.

I recently acquired this camera with the free printer - Selphy CP760 (MRSP S$179) and 8 GB SD card during the Christmas /Chinese New Year Promotion for less than S$450 - if you trade in the printer - would be less.

Really good point & shoot pocket sized camera.

Thanks in advance.
it depends

but if you want a camera that has been designed for people with the know-how with minimal compromise and full photography functions;

go for the panasonic lx3, it is a beauty and a joy to use; either that or canon g series - but you have to up your budget

otherwise, a good compromise would be the canon powershot a series, all of them have manual functions.

Hi :D,

I own a Nikon D70s and several lenses, but am looking for a compact camera - something small and easy to carry around.

I have a budget of around $400, but it is pretty flexible. Am looking for at least 10MP and a 3" screen would be nice. I'm looking for a camera with something special (touch screen, high MP count, etc. except high optical zoom, which i do not require)

Was looking at the Nikon S60, but have read some pretty bad reviews about its IQ, and thus am considering the S230 (which is new, so largely unavailable).

Also considering the 14MP Nikon S710 and Canon Ixus 980/990 IS.

Thanks in advance.

maybe i also tumpang here.....would Nikon's CoolPix P6000 be a good buy?

LX3

Go to Pana section and see urself :)

ehh, $400 budget leh, why all the canon G10 and panasonic LX3 recommendations?

For TS de budget, i recommend something like Sony W120

top up abit for LX3... i love that 16:9... although i didnt own one myself =X

Hmm, if you don't need a camera with manual function, and don't mind slightly bulky, A720IS is a good camera. Yet it almost discontinue in Sg... Try get it from TK Foto. Only about $325

G10 and LX3 are 2 of the hottest P&S now.
Another one is that Sigma one.

DPReview also has a section on P&S. Go check it out.

Thank you so much for all the replies

It seems that the LX3 and G10 are really quite popular, and i will take a look at them. If they really are that cut above the rest, i wouldnt mind topping up a little.

What about the P6000? Is that good? If so, i would be able to use my Nikon flashes on it.

Also, i was taking a look at the lumix FX180 for its 14mp at a decent price (i think).

Thanks once again

It seems that the LX3 and G10 are really quite popular, and i will take a look at them. If they really are that cut above the rest, i wouldnt mind topping up a little.

do note that for the lx3, the lens is nonretractable. not so sure about g10, but g10 does not seem to be particularly compact.

Took a look at the Panasonic LX3 - seems very promising, great lens and all, of course the leica optics are a major plus. But i did a check on bhphoto and found that both the LX3 and G10 cost around US$400

Does this mean it would cost over $600 locally? Of course, i didnt expect it to be that cheap. But my flexible budget means i would pay up to $450 but certainly not $600

should also take a look at the fujifilm 200EXR....

Check out the Sony W series with Carl Zeiss lens then.
It's not as bad as what people perceive it to be.

Thank you so much for all the replies

What about the P6000? Is that good? If so, i would be able to use my Nikon flashes on it.

Also, i was taking a look at the lumix FX180 for its 14mp at a decent price (i think).

Thanks once again

A famous salesperson from a reputable shops actually told me don't bother about Nikon's compact, because it is not as good as other brand's compact....

If you decide to get the Canon G10, you'll have to top up more tha a bit...
It actually cost about $760 to $870 or there about. The retail price for G10 is actually $869.
So this is actually more than double your budget of $400.
However G10 is actually a cut above the rest of the normal compact camera you can find.
I bought it as a back up for my DSLR, as it also comes with all the easily accessible SLR features.
I also like the authentic rangefinder look-alike camera.
Handling is great too.
You can find out more in all the reviews at various websites.

Cheers...

Status
Not open for further replies.