Which color space to use on D100 or others?

Status
Not open for further replies.
V

vince123123

Hi, just wondering what is the "best" color space to set on the D100 or any other digital camera? although the manual says if u use landscape use this or portrait use that....i've also read that we should use as big a color space as possible (Adobe RGB?)

any ideas?

vince123123 said:
Hi, just wondering what is the "best" color space to set on the D100 or any other digital camera? although the manual says if u use landscape use this or portrait use that....i've also read that we should use as big a color space as possible (Adobe RGB?)

any ideas?

It depends ;) :cool:

Well, for web-based photos or those you don't have intention to print or when you need to give others, I would recommend sRGB. If you give other (especially those who don't understand color management), anything than sRGB will make the pictures look different, or worse :nono: .

The landscape (aka Mode III) is actually a special version of sRGB with an enlarged section for green landscape.

When I shoot JPG, I use sRGB, RAW will be AdobeRGB. This ensures that I get the max out of it without banding (can occur when you choose a large colorspace with 8-bit JPG files).

Read the various Color Management books I've recommended before.

So what if you shoot raw for putting on the web? adobeRGB in the camera and convert to SRGB in photoshop?

Watcher said:
It depends ;) :cool:

Well, for web-based photos or those you don't have intention to print or when you need to give others, I would recommend sRGB. If you give other (especially those who don't understand color management), anything than sRGB will make the pictures look different, or worse :nono: .

The landscape (aka Mode III) is actually a special version of sRGB with an enlarged section for green landscape.

When I shoot JPG, I use sRGB, RAW will be AdobeRGB. This ensures that I get the max out of it without banding (can occur when you choose a large colorspace with 8-bit JPG files).

Read the various Color Management books I've recommended before.

vince123123 said:
So what if you shoot raw for putting on the web? adobeRGB in the camera and convert to SRGB in photoshop?
Yes. The reason is that web does not understand color spaces and assumes to be sRGB. Of course, don't forget about the intent when converting...

Status
Not open for further replies.