Which cheap film camera to recommend for me?

Status
Not open for further replies.

behyx

Jun 15, 2002
SG
I have 30 rolls of 35mm black and white films with me, and they are expiring in July 2006. So i'm actually thinking of doing a personal project in Singapore, solely black n white.. during the next 2 weeks, when i'm more free.

Right now i'm using minolta X-700 to shoot my films, but i'm thinking of getting a really out-of-ordinary camera to shoot.. strong vignetting, sometimes unpredicable result.. Best candidate will be a Holga, lomo, but they use 120mm..

So can anybody recommend me something along that line?

I have a Minolta Dynax 7 with vertical grip to offer if you interested.... couple of lens...

Quality - good (always kept in dry cabinet)

ajaismd68 said:
I have a Minolta Dynax 7 with vertical grip to offer if you interested.... couple of lens...

Quality - good (always kept in dry cabinet)

No i'm not looking at such kind of camera. I might as well revert to my X-700, which i have 3 MD lenses that i really like..

What i'm looking at are cheap plastic camera like those of Holgas and Lomos, but can be use with 35mm films..

behyx said:
No i'm not looking at such kind of camera. I might as well revert to my X-700, which i have 3 MD lenses that i really like..

All the best to you - I was once like you experiencing manual camera X-700 which I treasure till now.

Still surprise X-700 really take good pictures especially with 50mm!

ajaismd68 said:
All the best to you - I was once like you experiencing manual camera X-700 which I treasure till now.

Still surprise X-700 really take good pictures especially with 50mm!

Yes of course. Cheap but good lenses they produce :) Enjoy too!

Oh! I just found out that the "Lomo Compact Automat LCA" takes 35mm format!
Anyone selling it?? :lovegrin: :lovegrin:

While I can't help you with a camera, I can help you with using the film...

Gimme a buzz if you need someone to share the 'burden' of using up your film. :bsmilie:

mephesto said:
While I can't help you with a camera, I can help you with using the film...

Gimme a buzz if you need someone to share the 'burden' of using up your film. :bsmilie:

Haha! This was the initial thought, but considering that each roll fetch around S$2 - 2.50, i might as well use it to create a personal project? Haha! Moreover i develop and print in a darkroom, so i don't have development charges to incur.

Ok man, i've decided to sell some (if not all) of my 135 format lucky films .. i'm probably going to do my personal project using my existing 40 rolls of 120 format.

So if you are interested in my 135 format lucky films, click here.

use the holga to shoot with 35mm film. it's an easy modification and you'll get unpredictable results. or get a kodak brownie that uses 127 film and shoot with 35mm.

or you can buy one of those Time magazine give away cameras, it uses 35mm film. really toy like feeling. but if lomo is what you want, an action sampler should fit the bill nicely.

i use a fujica MA-1, fixed 50mm (so they claim) one aperture setting, one speed (both unknown to me). attached a 49mm filter ring to the front of the lens so that i can attached coloured filters or wide angle lenses.

or you can make a pinhole out of an old minolta body cap and use that on your X-700. how cool is that?

i got a Zenit cam, handed down 1. lense yellow liao, w/ patches of mould. :sweatsm:

i think its a manual cam? :dunno:b i dun even kno how 2 use it, no instruction manual.

behyx said:

What i'm looking at are cheap plastic camera like those of Holgas and Lomos, but can be use with 35mm films..
Actually Holga and most Lomos (like my Action Sampler) can use 35mm. The problem is what's the ISO for most of your films?

Other than the Holga, I heard from some gurus that most of the Lomos like my Action Sampler has an aperture of f/22 - yah damn small. So that means either you can only take them under bright conditions (daytime), or your films has gotta be at least ISO 400 and above.

I tried taking some pics using Tmax and yeah, the pictures are way underexposed if there isn't enough light. I think even ISO 400 may not be enough, depend where you are shooting.

mich_2103 said:
Actually Holga and most Lomos (like my Action Sampler) can use 35mm. The problem is what's the ISO for most of your films?

Other than the Holga, I heard from some gurus that most of the Lomos like my Action Sampler has an aperture of f/22 - yah damn small. So that means either you can only take them under bright conditions (daytime), or your films has gotta be at least ISO 400 and above.

I tried taking some pics using Tmax and yeah, the pictures are way underexposed if there isn't enough light. I think even ISO 400 may not be enough, depend where you are shooting.

my films are all iso100 don't know if it's shoot-able on a holga, as it's f8 and 1/100.. pretty inflexible ya?

If you can, get hold of one of those "Spongebob Squarepants" toy cameras they used to give out on SQ flights to kids ... you can't control anything at all other than advancing film and pressing the shutter button, sorta like a Holga. Unlike a Holga it's probably light tight :D

My kid's got one, but he's still playing with it (when he's not mucking around with my digital p&s).

ericp said:
If you can, get hold of one of those "Spongebob Squarepants" toy cameras they used to give out on SQ flights to kids ... you can't control anything at all other than advancing film and pressing the shutter button, sorta like a Holga. Unlike a Holga it's probably light tight :D

My kid's got one, but he's still playing with it (when he's not mucking around with my digital p&s).

Hmm.. will the pictures turn out holga-ish or lomo-ish :)

u can try ruby, they sell some of those small plastic cameras which might be interesting to try with the 35mm cost is < S$100 so do give it a try.

behyx said:
Hmm.. will the pictures turn out holga-ish or lomo-ish :)

No idea, but I got a few rolls of old color neg film, perhaps I should run a roll through just for the heck of it :D

Status
Not open for further replies.