Which Car to buy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yoda

May 30, 2002
Eastend
Visit site
Allow me to start a new discussion. Would like to solicite opinions from brothers (and sisters as well) here.

If money is not an issue, which of the 2 cars will you buy - BMW 740 Li vs Benz S350L - and why? I know there are tons of other options available but please limit to these 2 cars only.

BTW - i would like to get both (haha) but can only afford 1 (sigh).

So, shoot.

:)

ortega said:
i'd go for the beemer because the merc is for bengs

why not do a poll?

bengs..? U sure anot...nowadays yuppies drive beemers.

Looks like money is really no issue for you if you can afford either car.

For me, I'll choose BMW anytime. Why? BMW has that touch of sportiness that appeal to me, and more importantly......I hate Mercedes:angry: especially the merc drivers. I know I am stereotyping but I had too many bad experiences with merc driver, and some of them from refine looking people. And also because to some of my friends, getting a merc is like the ultimate status symbol:thumbsd:

If you like to drive and not just sit in a car, then BMW is for you.

M5 =p~~ at least you can press the 'M' mode. Well anyways i'll say get the beemer coz the lines on the body just make it really look so much more masculine than the merc. Well then again maybe i'm just a big beemer fan heh. Bayerische Motoren Werke!

I vote for BMW.

i dont mean to make sweeping statements for Mercede drivers , I always look out for them when I drive. They think they own the whole Sg roads. ;(

The latest experience I had was 2 weeks ago when I changed to the right most lane and the merc which was also on the right most lane was something like 20 metres behind me. Likely to be a male driver, high beamed me. KNN. Then later he filtered to the left most lane to enter a slip road:what: Really KNN.

i will choose BMW then merc

reason :
merc give me the feeling that driver is rich n got age already

BMW give me the feeling that driver is rich n young

Driving a BMW gives me the feeling that I m 1 step ahead compare to merc , kehkekehkekhekhk

just my thots n feeling , u think abt it thou,

ortega said:
i'd go for the beemer because the merc is for bengs

why not do a poll?

If beng can drive Merc, then he is a rich beng...

I think both car ooze class and status... but more importantly both cars have very good performance.
BMW is dashing while Merc is classy.. really depends on your likings in designs.

haha...can't afford either car right now...

but if given a choice...i will choose a beemer anytime ;p

ortega said:
yuppies or chuppies?

anyway towkay like you must drive merc

CEOs must sit in the back seat.

I drove a merc and bmw b4 (not mine hor), handling wise, the merc anytime. Styling wise, beemer has a slight edge in front. anyways there is too much sterotyping of the types of car people drive. If you ask my opinion the worst are still Nissan Sunnys...kekeke:bsmilie:

Had driven both and enjoyed them. merc is no longer what it used to be as the philosophy of QC had fallen prey to making more $ for the company. Quality is partly associated to the current trend in OEM parts thru low priced tendered projects in Chna. The lowest bidder gets the vote usually and hence the compromised quality.

The last time i went to the agent (workshop) had 90% of my fuel siphoned out by them without my consent. That was my last visit there before the car was sold off as scrape. Well that was a seperate problem altogether.

As for beemer, one has to be faithful sending it to performance motor to ensure wholesome care.

Honestly, for either brands, make quality is also linked to luck. If i have a choice, i prefer to invest into something that makes more money. Otherwise, since money is not an issue, just pick one that looks good, feels good and drive. Who cares what others think.

BMW or Merc?

What kind of image do you want to portray? And only you can answer that ;)

Cheers... :bsmilie:

If money wasn't an issue, I wun go for either cars since I personally feel its ridiculous owning a 4000cc car in this country.

I'll opt for a 600cc Mitsubishi i or a 600cc Subaru R1 (sport version).
Both for fuel economy and beauty.

Del_CtrlnoAlt said:
y yoda never choose between the Super Star Destroyer & Millenium Falcon? ;p
Might as well ask for a choice between Sun Crushers and Death Star right? ;p

I think it is best that you do a test drive on both cars, but many feedback of people complaining that for both cars quality is not what is used to be.

Also the S class is very new, i think the all new Merc S class was just realeased about 3 months ago, so i guess acces to new technologies in merc.

However, BMW has just recently updated its 7 Series so a refinement of technologies and the car it self.

Give a test drive, and also try and be a passenger while someone else is driving to get a feel of the car, usually i find when i test drive the acr i have to concentrate on the surrounding but asa passenger i am more aware of the car characteristic :)

I own a 2002 Benz S-Class and I feel that the build quality is still passable. The interior is a bit dull compared to BMW 7-series. The current Benz models are not very reliable in the long run. Would recommend the BMW 7-series. :thumbsup: But the final decision is still up to you. Go and test drive both cars and feel it.

Okay so how about the specs..first of all the beemer is running a 4L V8 with 300 or so horses while the mercedez is on a 3.7L V6 at 245HP. I mean heck they're both heavy SOBs but if they're similarly priced why not get the one with power. Furthermore even with a larger capacity engine, the beemer has roughly the same fuel consumption rate as the merc at around 9km/litre.

However if you're not really concerned too much about what's under the hood then you gotta go with your own personal preference to which one u wanna get as contaxable had said. Both are the market equivalents and roughtly cost the same. Both cars are jammed full with modern gadgetry; sat nav, on board computers, customizable driving positions, etc..

So it's really up to you..go for the three pointed star or the blue and white propeller =D

Status
Not open for further replies.