Which Canon DSLR and lens should an amateur pick? Please recommend!

Status
Not open for further replies.
have got this other friend that's pretty experienced? i dont know he was telling me that d50 swldnt last long? cos it's like a plastic toy? and then again canon 350d lens kits sucks big time.

so it's like. i am lol. hmmm. still deciding la. but i called another shop today ? they are offering at 1130? with only 1 gig card as freebie nothing else. hmmm

D50 plastic? To me i think the 350D is even more plastic. The construction on the D50 seems better. Initially I'm looking at 350D or 400D. After I got a hands on feel on the 350D, I think I'm leaning more towards D50. The size of 350D/400D was just a bit too small to hold for me.(I'm mid-size built). Likewise, D40 may have the same problem.

have got this other friend that's pretty experienced? i dont know he was telling me that d50 swldnt last long? cos it's like a plastic toy? and then again canon 350d lens kits sucks big time.

so it's like. i am lol. hmmm. still deciding la. but i called another shop today ? they are offering at 1130? with only 1 gig card as freebie nothing else. hmmm

Which shop is this? I have a feeling they are all clearing the very last final stock so there will be no more D50.

1130 is a good price. Once D40 comes in and if the reviews are not favourable the D50 secondhand price will shoot up.

Actually the D80 built reminds me of the D50. Maybe just slightly better. D50 built IMO a whole lot better than the Canon's entry level.

You dun want a tripod which can collapse on you right and kill the camera even before you get to use it properly.

HAHA! ZAC ahhaha that's damn funny la.
hmmm yeah. you are right. hmmm besides i dont think i will need a tripod for now. i had rather use the money and buy a second hand dry box or something.

is filter necessary too?

hmmmm if anyone of you peeps wants to buy d50 at $1130 tell me! i will give you gives the telephone no. of that shop!

my opinion...

there's like new camera launch every 6 months or so...bottom line is that you cun catch up with the technology unless you have lots of money to burn! canon - great colors , nikon - solid built (in a nut shell). others - forget about it coz the range of lens is limited. a 8 megepixel body is really good enough for prints. high ISO with less noise is good if you dun hv the budget to get a good flash...a 350d/400d is pretty ideal since the weight and size fits snugly to a girls hand.i ts not so bad actually getting a second hand body provided the shutter counts aren't excessive ( there's a shell live to the shutter counts). buying a new one of course is better so look out for those shops clearing out their old stocks like 350d or d50.

the the most important thing is the lens...forget those kit lens or those with small apertures. they dun churn out lenses very often though so its important to get good ones . try market place and have patience...my suggestion is a 2nd hand one like the TAMRON 28-75/2.8 XR Di about $500+.very versatile/fast and sharp. most ppl sell off their lens coz they hardly use it ( sold some of my lenses coz of the same reasons)

bags/tripods - buy 2nd hand lah..its good enough coz all our CSERs take really good care of their equipment.old ones are tested and look rugged. best value for money! those that come with the kit are useless. lowepros(bags) and manfrotto(tripods) are hardly! ask online and many ppl will give you sound advice...trust them coz they were newbies before...

patience..ask around for cheap deals(just the body). my friend bought a old 300d kit (brand new) in those days when 350d just came out for 900sin. wait for sitex and those christmas sale.. do some homework like reading the equipment threads and look for those good deal in market place. a good tamrom/sigma or even a original lense might be up for grabs. N utimately know what kind of picture you wanna take...candids, portraits, wildlife, macro etc...there's a good lense for one individual taste...

good luck on your search....

its not about the gear...its about the pictures!

regards:)

I find this thread quite funny. She initially wanted to buy a Canon but instead shes close to buying a Nikon!

Just look at the thread title " Which Canon DSLR and lens should an amateur pick? Please recommend! "

I find this thread quite funny. She initially wanted to buy a Canon but instead shes close to buying a Nikon!

Just look at the thread title " Which Canon DSLR and lens should an amateur pick? Please recommend! "

nononono. i was considering nikon all along, but wanted to find out more abt canon?
so chilllax men!:)

hmmm yeah. you are right. hmmm besides i dont think i will need a tripod for now. i had rather use the money and buy a second hand dry box or something.

is filter necessary too?

hmmmm if anyone of you peeps wants to buy d50 at $1130 tell me! i will give you gives the telephone no. of that shop!

A filter is to :

a) protect the front element
b) provide filtration of various functions (i.e. UV filter reduces UV penetration, CP-L cuts glare, ND reduces light overall)

So most often you'd want a simple UV filter for basic protection of the front element first. The others will come in when you realise their usefulness....

As for the tripod, you'd love it for the long exposure night shots or for a long lens for stability sake. But do get a decent one. Manfrotto or better... ;)

and canon 350d cost 1250 freebies 1 gig cf
and canon 400d cost 1350 freebies 1 gig cf

eloera, where did u get these prices? they seem quite a good bargain. i'm actually looking to get the 400D. =)

heh heh heh i went around to look for it?

hmm courts : $1288 + 1gig sd ,tripod,camera bag + hmmm some 40 gig direct transfer thing?!
harvey norman : $1388 + freebies 3 gig, tripod, filter, camera bag
lord's : $1160 + 1 gig sd, camera bag
tp : $1188 + 1 gig sd, camera bag,filter

for now, court does seem to have the best offer right? ;)

I've check with Courts today..the $1288 from courts is for the silver colour one. The black one got to add another $100= $1388

Does the price from lord's and tp includes GST?

I think really bad news after checking with few stores. D50 and D70s have discontinued. Nikon has stopped supplying them.

Looks like I can only choose D40 or D80(over budget) if I'm buying nikon....

Hmm... On sat I checked with CP. He said tt the D40 will be in only in next yr.

So I tink the sitex show will most prob not have D40..

Hope this helps.

(Personally I wont choose the D40.. Looks like a kiddy camera if u are doing shoots.. ;p.)
If u mount a SB800 on it.. It most prob look funny and very unbalanced.

is filter necessary too?

Frankly, if you don't use the camera everyday, get a dry CABINET. Else the camera will suffer in Singapore's condition.
:think:

Its ok, lesser Canon users = lesser queue at the service centre and probably lower prices when Canon tries harder to sell more.... :devil:

Just kidding!:bsmilie:

is filter necessary too?

forget about dry box. invest in a dry cabinet as dry box are troublesome. plus they dun last long. IMO, get a dry cabi asap, give u a piece of mind. u wouldnt want anything to happen to ur equipments

tripod is important. get a good one when u have the budget:thumbsup:

Hi Guys,

i am very new to photography and about to purchase a SLR to learn more about photography. I have a dumb question hope you all dont mind. Read from dpreview and some of the post say the kit lens from 400d is lousy. My question is, how to tell if the kit lens or any other lens is good or bad?

Hi Guys,

i am very new to photography and about to purchase a SLR to learn more about photography. I have a dumb question hope you all dont mind. Read from dpreview and some of the post say the kit lens from 400d is lousy. My question is, how to tell if the kit lens or any other lens is good or bad?

Read more reviews from other sources. Try it out and see if the image quality if good enough for you.

Hello eloera.

I have a copy of the Canon kit lens, that I have to say is excellent. Stop down by about one stop's worth of aperture, and you get pretty sharp images that don't need much post-processing. With a minimum focusing distance of 0.28m (28cm), it's very handy for close-up photography of, even, small flowers.

It's excellent for wide angle photography (scenics, cityscapes, group photos). No doubt it's not as high resolution as say an L lens, but for it's resale value (about $80), it's above decent. It's in no way lousy if you know what you're doing. Even if you don't really know what you're doing, it trains you to learn.

Bonuses, it's also lightweight (plastic mount, weighs almost nothing) albeit slightly delicate, but it gets by as long as you don't rough handle your equipment. In the future, if you upgrade your lenses, you can carry it around as a spare (always good to be prepared for anything). It uses filter size 58mm, for which you can get relatively cheap filters of that size (yes, you will probably need a UV-filter to protect your lens' front element), compared to 77mm filters of the higher end lenses.

Colours tend to be a little washed out, but again for it's price point, it performs well. It's tele end (55mm) is rather dark (f/5.6 maximum aperture, stopped down it's a very dark f/7.1 for me), so I make up for it by using only the wide end till around 35mm, then switch over to my 50mm prime (50mm f/1.8). It's no real issue for me because I essentially never shoot the in between from 35mm to 50mm any way.

My point is, for your budget, you can get by with a 2nd hand 350D kit and a 50mm prime. You get to learn

1) stopping down and shooting (which is essential for most lenses, if you want to acquire really sharp images)
2) composing with prime lenses (zoom with your feet, plus the 50mm focal length is one of the most commonly used focal lengths. The canon 50mm/1.8 is substantially cheaper than it's nikon counterpart.)
3) composing for wide angles (how to use a subject in foreground to bring out the dominance of it. Go read up on wide angle photography. very intriguing.)

Also, the 350D has two separate screens (compared to the 400D which displays its settings on the same LCD screen used for image playback), which I find more helpful, less distracting, and less power-consuming. Its small grip size may be appropriate for you. I know most guy shooters don't like it, but it might work for you.

It's got an EF-S compatible mount, which allows mounting of Canon's EF-S series of lenses, designed specifically for cropped sensors, in addition to the regular EF series of lenses.

Noise control of images is excellent (as discussed earlier on in this thread). You can use ISO 400 with almost no noise at all. DIGIC II image processor produces clean, vivid images, and has a good sizeable buffer for burst shooting. It processes and writes shots quickly.

Well, these are the main selling points of the Canon system. It's more than a mouthful. (Canon should hire me to write for them. :bsmilie: )

The best thing you can do is get your hands on both systems. Have a feel and decide what you feel the most comfortable with. I handled both, liked the way the 30D handled, performed, and the selection of lenses Canon had to offer, and so went that way. Plus, I have quite a few friends who use the same system, so lens sharing is convenient.

Cheers.

Hello eloera.

I have a copy of the Canon kit lens, that I have to say is excellent. Stop down by about one stop's worth of aperture, and you get pretty sharp images that don't need much post-processing. With a minimum focusing distance of 0.28m (28cm), it's very handy for close-up photography of, even, small flowers.

It's excellent for wide angle photography (scenics, cityscapes, group photos). No doubt it's not as high resolution as say an L lens, but for it's resale value (about $80), it's above decent. It's in no way lousy if you know what you're doing. Even if you don't really know what you're doing, it trains you to learn.

Bonuses, it's also lightweight (plastic mount, weighs almost nothing) albeit slightly delicate, but it gets by as long as you don't rough handle your equipment. In the future, if you upgrade your lenses, you can carry it around as a spare (always good to be prepared for anything). It uses filter size 58mm, for which you can get relatively cheap filters of that size (yes, you will probably need a UV-filter to protect your lens' front element), compared to 77mm filters of the higher end lenses.

Colours tend to be a little washed out, but again for it's price point, it performs well. It's tele end (55mm) is rather dark (f/5.6 maximum aperture, stopped down it's a very dark f/7.1 for me), so I make up for it by using only the wide end till around 35mm, then switch over to my 50mm prime (50mm f/1.8). It's no real issue for me because I essentially never shoot the in between from 35mm to 50mm any way.

My point is, for your budget, you can get by with a 2nd hand 350D kit and a 50mm prime. You get to learn

1) stopping down and shooting (which is essential for most lenses, if you want to acquire really sharp images)
2) composing with prime lenses (zoom with your feet, plus the 50mm focal length is one of the most commonly used focal lengths. The canon 50mm/1.8 is substantially cheaper than it's nikon counterpart.)
3) composing for wide angles (how to use a subject in foreground to bring out the dominance of it. Go read up on wide angle photography. very intriguing.)

Also, the 350D has two separate screens (compared to the 400D which displays its settings on the same LCD screen used for image playback), which I find more helpful, less distracting, and less power-consuming. Its small grip size may be appropriate for you. I know most guy shooters don't like it, but it might work for you.

It's got an EF-S compatible mount, which allows mounting of Canon's EF-S series of lenses, designed specifically for cropped sensors, in addition to the regular EF series of lenses.

Noise control of images is excellent (as discussed earlier on in this thread). You can use ISO 400 with almost no noise at all. DIGIC II image processor produces clean, vivid images, and has a good sizeable buffer for burst shooting. It processes and writes shots quickly.

Well, these are the main selling points of the Canon system. It's more than a mouthful. (Canon should hire me to write for them. :bsmilie: )

The best thing you can do is get your hands on both systems. Have a feel and decide what you feel the most comfortable with. I handled both, liked the way the 30D handled, performed, and the selection of lenses Canon had to offer, and so went that way. Plus, I have quite a few friends who use the same system, so lens sharing is convenient.

Cheers.
:thumbsup: ..very good write-up...capture the essense for newbies...pls continue to write more in the future. cheers

Hello eloera.

Cheers.

Very good report. I also started off with 350D kit lens and 50mm f1.8.

Limme try and help.
By now, you should know tt canon uses cmos and nikon uses ccd.
Each brand has its own strengths.

Both produces images great but canon's DIGIC imaging processing engine is better.
Nikon's lens are sharper for their entry series.
You are getting a system, not just processing engine, You have to look into the future lens you might want to be getting, flashes, etc and their various costs.
For example, nikon's current highest end flash SB800 costs abt $600, Whereas Canon's Highest end flash cost abt $700.
Each system has their difference in the lens... for example... Nikon is going for their DX type of lens... it May be cheaper and lighter for the photographers of the NIkon.
Canon's lens power lens are the L lens, but they do come with quite a hefty price tag too. (I not saying Nikon is cheap). But L lens are the better performing lens in the canon system, but they are targeted for full frame body. Not really suitable for just hobbists. I may be wrong.. Maybe someone can enlighten on the prices and performance.

However, if you are on budget of <$1.4K.
It might be sucide for u to get a 20D or 30D.
Maybe u can get a second hand 20D with a kit lens only :bsmilie: ..

For Canon,
You could consider getting a 400D with kits lens.
If you have slightly more $$$, a 350D or 400D with a sigma 17-70mm F2.8-4.5 DG Macro.
But it will be more costly. cause tt piece of glass cost $610 if its first hand. Maybe u can try ur luck for $500 in the second hand market?

For Nikon,
Do consider the D50 or D70 with a D70's kit lens or even the D80's kit lens.
IF you feel slightly richer, the sigma 17-70mm F2.8-4.5 DG Macro (Nikon mount) also works great with the nikon Camera.

D40 may be a uncertainty, because we do not know what cheaper AP-S lens will be coming out with... But I believe and other too .. they will come out with loads of great lens for the entry lvl DSLRs'.
I dont think u should jump straight into getting a 50mm lens. It might not be suitable for u...
I am not saying the 50mm F1.8 is not good. ITs actually great for low lighting and boket U may not be accustomed to shooting with focal length restriction and if u solely have tt lens only. You will have a tough time taking group shots.

Hope this helps and this is my perception.. hope no one :flame: me.

aits. thank you there and everyone who has helped me in one way or another

but i just bought my nikond50 yesterday!
and ;) ;) i bought it at $1130 , with bag and 1 gig card as freebies, a digi dry cabi for ninety nine dollars, then a uv filter for $22, so all in all i spent around $1288, which i think it's quite a steal!

so for all you peeps who wants to buy camera , can go check out the shop perisilk at holland v.the service and prices are good there too. and no worries abt the supplies of nikond50. cos apparently they have all the connections to get the supply! so go check out all the prices at sitex first!!!

:sweatsm:

yay!

Status
Not open for further replies.