Which Cameras are best for Sec School Photography Clubs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tintinspartan

Mar 25, 2008
I have a question to give to the pros.

Which camera or camera brand is best suitable for secondary school photography clubs?

MY school is a bit outdated with a supply of 3 Fujiflim Finepix S6500fd's, 1 Sony HD Camcorder, 1 Konica Minolta Camera, 1 Panasonic Lumix Camera and of course, I contributed with 1 Fujiflim Finepix F11, 1 Kodak C663 and 1 Canon DC220.

So, here are specifications that needs to fit for that perfect camera.

1. At least take shots more than 6 MP.
2. DSLR or Prosumer
3. User Friendly

Help me in finding that perfect camera for my school to buy.

Thanks in advance

Theres no perfect camera. Its up to the individual.

For photography club, I suggest not-too-expensive-yet-technologically-good dslrs.

The Canon 450D is coming out. So you can get that, or the 400D instead. Both are great cameras, and I own the latter (and older) one. Body alone, about S$1.3k for former, S$900-1k for latter. Must factor in additional costs of lenses etc.

Nikon wise, there's the D60 (newer model) or the older D40 / D40X. Not sure of pricing.

However, prosumers are used a lot in my school's photo club (I'm not in the club, just that I know ppl inside). So get the Canon S5 IS for about S$700..

Hope this helps =)

Or you can go for 300D or 350D for dslr as both are considered quite good in terms of ur criteria. Alternatively go for a prosumer probably like wad headshotzx suggested Canon S5 IS.

the 6500fd model, if you'd pardon me, is one of the BEST prosumer model ever made

it is NOT outdated, and it has exceptional image quality, especially when it comes to low light shots.

some samples;
one
two
three
four
five
six

i would certainly not consider it outdated, but if you want to indulge in the BBB virus for your school, please feel free to get nikon d3s :p
otherwise, it would certainly be better if you state a budget.
dslr will certainly allow more expression of freedom compared to prosumer.. PROVIDED that you have room for lenses too, if not no point, no?

my school got like a 40D + 17-85 IS + 580 II
good enough for the students already..

Which camera or camera brand is best suitable for secondary school photography clubs?

MY school is a bit outdated with a supply of 3 Fujiflim Finepix S6500fd's, 1 Sony HD Camcorder, 1 Konica Minolta Camera, 1 Panasonic Lumix Camera and of course, I contributed with 1 Fujiflim Finepix F11, 1 Kodak C663 and 1 Canon DC220.

2. DSLR or Prosumer
3. User Friendly

Thanks in advance

Agree with helmiz that there is no perfect camera. Every camera got strength and limits. Just need to learn to work with them. Go with SLR system. Forget about prosumer.

Actually, could consider film camera, DSLR or rangefinder too, as it really helps with the basics of photography, plus you can get to work in the darkroom setup to learn about exposure...;)

If you really need to go digital, then choose cameras which allow you more control. Need not be expensive. canon and nikon entry level is good enough. Also don't need a whole range of lenses too.

Nowsaday, can forget about prosumer. Not that good value for money already.

Entry level DSLR with kit lens. Lower pricing means can get more units per allotted budget. For student use, better to have as many as your budget allows so that more students will have opportunity to use it. Summore, in a school situation, things SURE break down one.

D40x or EOS400D good enough. Somehow I don't encourage the newer models with Live View. Get them to start with proper handling first. Then get 1 or 2 mid range cams for teacher or "special occasion" use, like D80, 40D or equivalent.

Remember to include proper dry-cabs in the budget!

The first thing is to find out what is the maxmimum budget your school has set aside for a DSLR. Once you know the budget, than you can look at cameras within that budget.

Here's another option.
Go on ebay and get a lot of old Nikon D100's for dirt cheap. This way you'll be able to supply a lot of students. Same goes for lens not expensive is the Tamron 18-300mm. This will give them a lot of versatility at a low price.
There are better options out there, but for a lot of students learning this is a good rout to take without to much expense.

i feel which brand and model of camera is of least importance, anyone that offer auto, shutter priority, aperture priority and manual mode and able to use external flash will be good (dont understand your requirement for more than 6mp).

it is the teaching of photography that is important. had seen and spoke to students (secondary and poly) using high end dlsr, they dont even know the relationship between iso, shutter and aperture. dont understand exposure, dont know when to use a tripod even though there is one slinging on their back.

if thats how things are (i sure hope it will improve), a prosumer camera will be more than enough since they offer long zoom capabilities with stabliser, save money lar, than the school dont have to ask student to bring home donation cards every other month. it is tough on the parents you know.

A prosumer or a DSLR+kit lens will do, get a cheap dslr like olympus, etc or if you want some power get 2nd hand the canon 20D. Used it the other day, ppl actually thought it was some really good cam fr the pics it produced. Well it still is.

A prosumer or a DSLR+kit lens will do, get a cheap dslr like olympus, etc or if you want some power get 2nd hand the canon 20D.

2. DSLR or Prosumer
3. User Friendly

Thanks in advance

Nikon D60, Canon 450D, Sony A300 with kit lenses would be a good start. Can contact Nikon, Canon or Sony directly to see if they are keen to give a good price or even sponsor. Chances are that people will buy back the same brand if they are already used to it. I'm sure the major brands can work something out for you.

2. DSLR or Prosumer
3. User Friendly

Thanks in advance

Hi, not a pro but was wondering why do you need a DSLR for a secondary school Photography Club??? What's the purpose of getting a DSLR in the first place??

If the purpose of the club is to educate students on photography technique, then I believe a good old manual film base SLR is able to do the job. Student will be able to learn a lot more than just handling a DSLR as compare to a normal SLR, which they are forced to learn the basic of photogaphy.

I was introduced to photography in my secondary school days too. And the first camera which I handled then was the old Nikon FM2, which is still a legend in it's own class until today.

Maybe you should ask yourself the same question first. What's your purpose? Cost and model can come later...

Just my 2 cents...

Hi, not a pro but was wondering why do you need a DSLR for a secondary school Photography Club??? What's the purpose of getting a DSLR in the first place??

If the purpose of the club is to educate students on photography technique, then I believe a good old manual film base SLR is able to do the job. Student will be able to learn a lot more than just handling a DSLR as compare to a normal SLR, which they are forced to learn the basic of photogaphy.

I was introduced to photography in my secondary school days too. And the first camera which I handled then was the old Nikon FM2, which is still a legend in it's own class until today.

Maybe you should ask yourself the same question first. What's your purpose? Cost and model can come later...

Just my 2 cents...

Economics...

it's easier for a school to let the studenits learn photography on a digital cam as they can shoot all they like and pick out the good shots on the PC.

With film based cams, you have to wait for developing and then you can see the results. The cost is pretty prohibitive these days.

With a decent basic DSLR like a D40, they can learn about the co-relation of aperture, shutter speeds and ISO. And still not bust the budget... its under 1k per set. ;)

Economics...

it's easier for a school to let the studenits learn photography on a digital cam as they can shoot all they like and pick out the good shots on the PC.

With film based cams, you have to wait for developing and then you can see the results. The cost is pretty prohibitive these days.

With a decent basic DSLR like a D40, they can learn about the co-relation of aperture, shutter speeds and ISO. And still not bust the budget... its under 1k per set. ;)

If I were the marketing for any of the brands, I'd PM TS for a deal now. ;p

If I were the marketing for any of the brands, I'd PM TS for a deal now. ;p

Tell me about it..

hahahah :bsmilie::bsmilie:

Here's another option.
Go on ebay and get a lot of old Nikon D100's for dirt cheap. This way you'll be able to supply a lot of students. Same goes for lens not expensive is the Tamron 18-300mm. This will give them a lot of versatility at a low price.
There are better options out there, but for a lot of students learning this is a good rout to take without to much expense.

For schools purchase, need official receipt, so it's better to buy from retailer. And there's no need to stinge so much because quite frankly, the AV dept of schools are given quite a lot of money. I know of several pri schs that purchase 10+ Canon Powershots or 5 or 6 D40s at one go. Some have even invested in HD Camcorders.

And IMO, "must learn photography using fully manual film SLR" is old school thinking. You CAN still learn about aperture/shutter relationships on a DSLR. The cameras will not just be merely a learning tool; they will be used to cover school events as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.