Which camera will you choose? Nikkon F100 or Nikkon F80S

Status
Not open for further replies.

scanner

Jan 24, 2002
Visit site
Hi all, as I'm planning to get a new camera body soon ( Presently, I have a Nikkon F65D), I have 2 cameras in mind, both are Nikkon brand. Which of the cameras do you think offers a better value ?
Nikkon F100 or Nikkon F80S ? :D

As far as I'm aware, Nikkon F80s cost only half the price of F100, while having quite a substaintial of features of what F100 offers.

the f100 is definaly better in every aspect except the weight. hence depends on if you have the money and do you want to carry out such a big camera.

also, so you have money for lens ? might as well spend the money on the lenses.

what do you shoot ? do you shoot under low light (often enough) ? do you need AF speed ?

like a said before, the f100 is definately better and if you need all the extras, it is worth the extra money you pay for it, but if you're not going to push it..... then there is no point spending the extra money.

BUT !!!! if it makes you happy :p enjoy, life is short

Maybe you can tell us what you don't like about the F65 which is a relatively new camera. If you don't like the AF speed, slow film advance, then the F80 isn't going to be that much better. Might as well get the F100 and help the economy.

I am still using my 8 year old F70 and am perfectly happy with it but i guess its due for replacement soon....

Originally posted by erwinx
Maybe you can tell us what you don't like about the F65 which is a relatively new camera. If you don't like the AF speed, slow film advance, then the F80 isn't going to be that much better. Might as well get the F100 and help the economy.

I am still using my 8 year old F70 and am perfectly happy with it but i guess its due for replacement soon....

It not that I dun like the F65, but rather there R some limitations on this camera which I find could be handy.
To name a few - such as the F65 does not have ISO setting, rather slow AF, no AE Lock and etc....

Normally, I preferred to take landscape pics and potraits,
but presently trying out new things like macro shots.
Anyway, since I have the resources now, might as well get something of a better built and offers a better features. :D

Originally posted by scanner

It not that I dun like the F65, but rather there R some limitations on this camera which I find could be handy.
To name a few - such as the F65 does not have ISO setting, rather slow AF, no AE Lock and etc....

Anyway, since I have the resources now, might as well get something of a better built and offers a better features. :D

If you can afford it, go all the way and get the F100. You won't regret it. :D

If not, then get the F80S and spend the rest of the money on good lenses.

Regards
CK

Originally posted by ckiang

If you can afford it, go all the way and get the F100. You won't regret it. :D

If not, then get the F80S and spend the rest of the money on good lenses.

Regards
CK

Thanks everyone, for your precious advise. :D

Be careful before you buy a F100. I know too many fellers who have upgraded to the biggeest and best model and downgrade to a smaller camera after some months or year and lose $$$$.

Thje F100 is heavy and dun has internal flash. Sometimes it is v.useful to have a popup flash. I like the grid lines on the F80. Very nice design. If I am traveling I will carry the F80 not a F100.

They are a different class of camera really; intended for different markets. There really shouldn't be a confusion between the two.

I think F80 can fulfill your needs. With the command on gridline, it is even easier to use than F100 which you need to buy the extra E screen. Is the AF of F100 really that fast? Yeah...it is definitely faster than F80, but not really that important. U shoot racing car? To lock on faster on a subject, I think a faster lens is more important. F80 using CAM900 focusing module, is definitely good enough for most situation already. In fact, in those hard to focus case, manual focus is even faster. F80 with built in focus assist light, so in low light, it can still lock focus compare to F100. ISO setting, AE lock, both available in F80 and F100. Both feature no mirror lock up. F100 better in its better weather seal, metal construction, CAM1300 (???), more accessory...do you need these?

If have more money, then good to go for F100 or even F5. If buy F100 later no money for lens, then no good. Better get a F80 and a pro quality lens. Camera is just a black box...

Oh yeah...I forgot...F100 can meter with manual lenses. BIG PLUS!!!

Originally posted by franciskc
I will get a EOS 1V

Yeah...don't forget you can get a F80 with the booster of the 1v...

Originally posted by Kho King

Yeah...don't forget you can get a F80 with the booster of the 1v...

But how much does it cost for a booster?
Any significant difference in term of performance if a F80 is mounted with a booster and a F100 without one?

BTW, can anyone tell me does the 1/3 EV steps offered by F100 will be more useful compared with 1/2 EV steps offered by F80?
:dunno:

You have a F65 which I presume does 1/2 EV steps. Are u missing critical exposures because of that?

but these are extremely tiny details. Things like performance of the booster, 1/2 vs 1/3 EV. These are NOT reasons to buy the F100 over the F80 since, like Jed pointed out, they're in different classes. Its almost like buying a Mercedes over the Toyota because the Mercedes has a more powerful air-con.

Since you have a F65 and I assume you're very familiar with it, you should be able to tell from what you are dissatisfied about it whether the F80 or the F100 would be a sufficient upgrade.

Any significant difference in term of performance if a F80 is mounted with a booster and a F100 without one?

BTW, can anyone tell me does the 1/3 EV steps offered by F100 will be more useful compared with 1/2 EV steps offered by F80?

Question 1 is no for F80 and yes for F100. F100 fps will increase a bit.

For negative prints, those 1/3 EV is useless. For slide, maybe more useful in bracketting. If you buy F100 for the 1/3 EV...then you should think twice.

Originally posted by erwinx
You have a F65 which I presume does 1/2 EV steps. Are u missing critical exposures because of that?

but these are extremely tiny details. Things like performance of the booster, 1/2 vs 1/3 EV. These are NOT reasons to buy the F100 over the F80 since, like Jed pointed out, they're in different classes. Its almost like buying a Mercedes over the Toyota because the Mercedes has a more powerful air-con.

Since you have a F65 and I assume you're very familiar with it, you should be able to tell from what you are dissatisfied about it whether the F80 or the F100 would be a sufficient upgrade.

Yup! F65 does 1/2 EV steps.
Not at the moment for any missing critical exposures, as all of my shots is done with negative film, but now considering going to slides.

I think the most dissatisfied part of F65 as mentioned earlier are the lack of AE-L, slow AF and no ISO setting.

Since I've the resources now, I just wondered, which of the 2 camera offers a better value for money.....
Maybe F80S is the answer - save up the rest of the money and spend it on better lens. ;)

BTW, anyway to boost up the AF in F80? :D

boost af of F80? Maybe you might want to buy the MB16, then use lithium battery. I heard lithium in F100 gives faster af.

Status
Not open for further replies.