Which camera to start with?

Status
Not open for further replies.

blurrblurr

Sep 9, 2005
Simei, Punggol Central
Hi all
Currently I own only a normal DC. Now realising that this camera limits me to do a lot of settings. I am thinking of moving in taking more pro shots with better camera. Decided to pick up photograhpy as my hobby. Read up a lot of stuff abt cameras and I am getting more and more confuse. So many cameras in the market. Each with different pro and cons. Worry that I buy something that is too good for me. Also worry that I get something that is not worth to get.

Which DSLR camera is best to start with? EOS 350? Nikon D70? or? To all pros here can recommend me some models that suits a beginner well?

Which compact camera you have now? :think:

blurrblurr said:
Hi all
Which DSLR camera is best to start with? EOS 350? Nikon D70? or? To all pros here can recommend me some models that suits a beginner well?

:nono: Not dSLR...

Try 1 with manual controls.
I'd recommend the Panasonic FZ5. Mainly coz it has got image stabiliser. :)

blurrblurr said:

Don't ask the Pros - they will say D2X or 1DS mk11!! haha

Are you sure you want to make the considerable investment needed to get into the DSLR game? Not only will you need to buy the camera, you have to remember that a considerable amount of time will be spent post-processing and an 8mp image will require some decent computing power, especially if you shoot in RAW (which I would recommend anyone do).

I am running photography courses for beginners and often get asked " What camera should i get for less than $500?" and my suggestion is always to get a film SLR with a kit lens and on top of this, buy a 50mm f1.8 lens. You can get a Canon EOS 66 + 28-70mm kit lens + case + 50mm f1.8 for around $460 (price quoted to me over the phone by Parisilk in HV).

To my mind, this would be a better investment, using spare cash for films and processing and maybe another lens (70-300mm?) than jumping head first into the DLSR market. If you do go ahead with buying a DLSR, remember that you will need to spend time post-processing your shots to get the best results.

I would say practically any camera that is functional. :bsmilie:
Preferably, one that you can play with the aperture and shutter speed so that
you have more control. Even a P&S camera I think you can use it to learn
composing your picture.

If you really have set your mind and have $$ to burn :devil: Of course,
DSLR should be your choice, as it will be the tool you will upgrade to
eventually.

350D, D70, D70s, D50, KM 5D, E300, etc. Those listed are all very capable budget
DSLR for beginners. :thumbsup:

Hi Phildate
Thanks for the suggestion. Actually I was very into photograhpy many many many years ago during secondary school time. However, the processing of developing pictures in dark room turns me off. And I hates to flip thru the photos in album. But I have the habit of keeping photos in my computer folders and will occasionally crops/edit some nice one be my wallpaper. As I am working with my PC everday, at least I can admire my pictures whenever I am working. So is not a bad ideas to get digital image. As for budget, I am willing to fork out certain amount as investment. Definately not less than $500.

obewan said:
I would say practically any camera that is functional. :bsmilie:
Preferably, one that you can play with the aperture and shutter speed so that
you have more control. Even a P&S camera I think you can use it to learn
composing your picture.

If you really have set your mind and have $$ to burn :devil: Of course,
DSLR should be your choice, as it will be the tool you will upgrade to
eventually.

350D, D70, D70s, D50, KM 5D, E300, etc. Those listed are all very capable budget
DSLR for beginners. :thumbsup:

Actually I am a bit stuck in between to get a DSLR or a comsumer pro ie FZ30 which allows me to control aperture, shutter speed and focus manually.

blurrblurr said:
Actually I am a bit stuck in between to get a DSLR or a comsumer pro ie FZ30 which allows me to control aperture, shutter speed and focus manually.

If you have the budget to get a FZ30, and you have a little more $$, and think you are really serious into photography, I would suggest you to try out the KM 5D. It comes with a very decent kit lens and AS(antishake) similar to the FZ30 OIS(optical image stabiliser).
Once, you get familiar with that camera and you think you need a further zoom, just get a zoom lens up to 300mm. Equivalent to 27-450mm in 35mm format. Thus a wider range than the FZ30.

One major advantage it had over the FZ30 is lower noise and you can shoot at higher ISO.

A DSLR with big sensor and manual exposure control will give u more "pro shots", not immediately, but eventually. Just remember the learning curve is very steep, and takes long time and many practise.
I have heard ppl bought Nikon D50 with kit lens at about $1.3k, and I think that is a good one to start.

For a start get entry level DSLR, what is worth to invest is those pro lenses.

I think the price of fz30 is about the same as D50 kit.

You may have a big shock when you start using DSLR ;p

As a D50 user i would recommend D50 for you :thumbsup:

blurrblurr said:
I'm new to photography too.. I would suggest that you consider getting Canon 350D or Nikon D70s. both their price about the same. Function is similar except 350D is 8 mega pix and the other is not. The kit lense for D70s is better than 350D. (however, pls dont let this be a factor for consideration as most likely you will get another lense of your choice in future) these 2 brands are the more comon one. the lense & accessories will not be obsolate in future... still can be used on any SLR camera next time.

*Just my opinion... I'm using the Canon 350D

ergoh said:
I'm new to photography too.. I would suggest that you consider getting Canon 350D or Nikon D70s. both their price about the same. Function is similar except 350D is 8 mega pix and the other is not. The kit lense for D70s is better than 350D. (however, pls dont let this be a factor for consideration as most likely you will get another lense of your choice in future) these 2 brands are the more comon one. the lense & accessories will not be obsolate in future... still can be used on any SLR camera next time.

*Just my opinion... I'm using the Canon 350D

now why is it most likely that he would replace the Nikon kit lens
it has good range, good optics, light, small and the best part cheap.

obewan said:
350D, D70, D70s, D50, KM 5D, E300, etc. Those listed are all very capable budget DSLR for beginners. :thumbsup:

Don't forget my Pentax *ist DS leh... now evolved to Pentax *ist DS2 liao.

wrx_sti_22b said:
Don't forget my Pentax *ist DS leh... now evolved to Pentax *ist DS2 liao.

Oops :eek:. Sorry abt that.
Yah....that one is also a fine beginner DSLR.
I'm still waiting to have a chance to fiddle with other brand of DSLR, besides
the common Nikon and Canon. :bsmilie:

actually i started with a slr film camera. i think oit is a very good start. because u ant view the photos, u tend to discipline urself and practice dof, aperture and metering more....

EOS 20D :thumbsup:

with 8mp, 5 fps, digicII engine, ability to take AA batteries via grip, embossed logo, new diamond pattern AF, almost zero start-up lag, etc, it will be pro enough for you

until you discover that there is something called the 1D :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.