Which camera to get?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 26, 2007
Hi
New here, just wondering, what kind of DSLR can i get for my budget which is 1.5k?
I prefer nikon but then...it seems expensive.

any suggestions?

Expand to 1800 and you can get a D80 kit :) Awesome combination, the D80 kit.

If not, I'd recommend a used D70s + lens from the sale forums :)

EDIT: Actually, a used D80 would be awesome too, but those don't come around as often.

a canon 400D would fit your budget nicely

If your $1.5K budget includes accessories (taking that you don't have anything), I think you better think about the 2nd hand market (applies to all brands).

Hi
New here, just wondering, what kind of DSLR can i get for my budget which is 1.5k?
I prefer nikon but then...it seems expensive.

any suggestions?

If you like Nikon, then get Nikon. Photography can be an expensive hobby, this is only the start. Don't get something cheaper and hate it later. It'll gonna be more expensive to change system later.

wow...glad to see so many replies and advise...thanks for the advise...

hm...up the budget to 1.8k ar? erm...1.8k is kit is right?

Where to get it?

SLS???

There is a list of outlets in the sticky..

Pentax 10D is a good choice. Plus, you dont have to pay a premium like Nikon and canon for the VR/IS. 3rd party lens+ inbody image stabiliser gives you more leeway shooting in low shutter or night scene.

Recommend K10D as well. Very well bult DSLR and won TIPA best expert DSLR of 2007 Awards . Only problem is hard to find the pentax lens

Go think carefully first. It's not only the camera and lens purchase.

Dun forget the rest of the stuff which you'd need sooner or later :

cleaning kit
filters
tripod
bags
dry box
flash
more lenses,
etc....

the list goes on.... budget all of these first. Then think.

Go think carefully first. It's not only the camera and lens purchase.

Dun forget the rest of the stuff which you'd need sooner or later :

cleaning kit
filters
tripod
bags
dry box
flash
more lenses,
etc....

the list goes on.... budget all of these first. Then think.

Wah! after looking @ this...i'm wondering if i am ready to get a DSLR..
I ama beginner to intermediate photographer...wondering if it is worth it...

I always feel that if someone knows for sure that he/she isn't gonna invest in anymore lenses (and I'm talking about the extreme ones, on the super wide and/or super tele end, or any lenses with large apertures) in the future, it is far more economical for them to stick to prosumer cameras instead :thumbsup:

Cause remember, you can still add on tele/wide/fisheye/close-up/macro adaptors to some prosumer cames, which are far cheaper than buying lenses themselves, just that you'll lose out on quality and speed compared to a DSLR.

Thus the advice for you to consider first. If you're willing to take the plunge, then do remember to consider all the other equipment and running costs. It's always like this, when I bought the camera, then I considered on more lenses, then a flash, 5 batteries for it, then thought why not more as back-up? and the list goes on.... :bsmilie: :bsmilie:

The hobbyist photographer's pockets are constantly being emptied towards buying more gear... ;)

the very very very very very basic, is to make sure that u have enuff money to buy the dslr + lens + a drybox. drybox is the most important for our singapore weather... and a 30litre one can set u back abt $99.

thus if u get D80 kit, be prepared abt 1900. Other lenses, tripod, can come later. for bags and cleaning kit, try and bargain it for free from the person selling u.

Honestly? I suggest getting a Sony H9. Don't go down the DSLR route until you feel limited by even a good prosumer cam like the H9.

Status
Not open for further replies.