Which camera to buy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

de_stan

Apr 21, 2004
Hi fellow snappers,

Im new to photography and to this forum as well.
But I have a situation which I need all you 'old-birds' to help me solve.
Currently I am using a EOS 66 Canon SLR. But after using a film camera for almost a year, the high cost of purchasing film and developing photos, as well as the other hassels of film camera is getting to me. So I am seriously considering upgrading to a digital SLR camera.
Currently the two most popular digital SLR is Canon 300D and the Nikon D70. Both cost about the same.
But a friend of mine has strongly discouraged me to buy the 300D and urged me to get D70 instead. It would be a clear cut decision for me except that if I switch to Nikon, I will not be able to use my Canon wide angle (28-80mm)and zoom (75-300mm) lens used with my current camera.
Hence it is a dilema for me. Because I dont wish to make new purchases for new lenses.
So if any 'snappers' out there are using Canon 300D or Nikon D70, please advice me which camera is more suitable for me. I would greatly appreciate them.
Thanks

de_stan said:
Hi fellow snappers,

Currently I am using a EOS 66 Canon SLR. But after using a film camera for almost a year, the high cost of purchasing film and developing photos, as well as the other hassels of film camera is getting to me. So I am seriously considering upgrading to a digital SLR camera.
Currently the two most popular digital SLR is Canon 300D and the Nikon D70. Both cost about the same.
But a friend of mine has strongly discouraged me to buy the 300D and urged me to get D70 instead. It would be a clear cut decision for me except that if I switch to Nikon, I will not be able to use my Canon wide angle (28-80mm)and zoom (75-300mm) lens used with my current camera.
Hence it is a dilema for me. Because I dont wish to make new purchases for new lenses.
So if any 'snappers' out there are using Canon 300D or Nikon D70, please advice me which camera is more suitable for me. I would greatly appreciate them.
Thanks

this topic has already been debated to death. you can find out from all the previous threads by doing a search. dun get :flame: by the seniors and pros for nothing, bro... :bsmilie:

Hi, Nightwolf. Its great to hear that you got a tripod. I was as Cathay Photo yesterday and saw the 055proII (New Version). A bit regret to buy mine (Old version)

Hi De Stan, personally, i think both cameras are good. Its a very subjective thing actually. Try both at a shop and see which one feels better in your hands. You will find yourself being happier buying something of your preference.

de_stan said:
Hi fellow snappers,

Thanks

Since you are currently using Canon system, perhaps it might be better for you to stick with Canon, as you are already familiar with their ergonomics and controls and also own 2 of their lenses. It's true that the Nikon D70 is currently the camera with better specs, but this does not mean that the Canon 300D is inferior in anyway as it's still capable of taking great pictures.

Side note: you might find that your 28-80 to be more of a normal lens than wideangle due to the cropping factor and would need to buy a wide angle if you still want to preserve your wide angle coverage.

nightwolf75 said:
this topic has already been debated to death. you can find out from all the previous threads by doing a search. dun get :flame: by the seniors and pros for nothing, bro... :bsmilie:

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Advice of the decade.

For your needs you may feel a DSLR may even be an overkill. Can always try out those "prosumer" P&S digicams like the Canon Powershot G series or the Nikon Coolpix 4-digit series.

de_stan said:
Hi fellow snappers,

Thanks

You might want to consider a second hand 10D instead of a new 300D.A much better choice.

de_stan said:
Hi fellow snappers,

Thanks

Listen to your friend, my friend.

Stick with the 300D.

Frankly, the 28-80 and 75-300 don't cost that much in the first place anyway so up to you :) even if purchase new and resale off you won't lose that much just that extra bit of effort needed to buy new Nikkor lenses.

Features wise, pretty obvious which is the better ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.