which camera to buy??

Status
Not open for further replies.

terzetto

Jan 31, 2004
East Coast
gallery.clubsnap.com
thought of getting a new digital camera... after checking out the reviews on dpreview..... i've shortlisted a few but still undecided....need some help!!

canon powershot pro 1
sony dsc f828
nikon coolpix 8700

my dream cam.. still the nikon d70.. a lil' outta my budget.. but don't mind saving up for it.. just that i've gotta eat grass for the rest of the yr :sweat:

another question.... which shop gives the best deals?? cathayphoto, alanphoto, southern cross, ballyphoto, mscolor, etc... ?? :dunno:
any comments??

the D70 costs just a bit more than the 828 and the 8700. so if thats your dream camera, save up for it. you wont regret. the biggest mistake you could make is to get one of those prosumer cameras and then finding fault with it because there are certain things that a prosumer camera looses out clearly to a dslr.... so think carefully about what you neeed... after buying, be satisfied and think no more. hope this helps.

Well, just pray that Canon releases a update to the 300D or 10D, which will in turn cause many new D70 buyers to jump ship and sell their camera very cheap within 1-4 months of purchasing it.

Case study: $1800 for a 300D with kit lens. When D70 comes out, Buy / Sell thread flooded by 300Ds for sale with kit lens at $1300.

Anyway care to share why the D70 is your dream camera? If you would consider a 300D, you could get a used one in mint condition for a steal price.

If I was you, I would get a DSLR, because the 3 models of prosumer digital cameras which you listed are almost the same price, well over $1500. You may end up like me and feel very 'confined' or 'hindered' after realising that you've pushed your prosumer camera to its limits already, and they only way to get more control over your shots is with a DSLR.

Think for the long run :D

terzetto said:
thought of getting a new digital camera... after checking out the reviews on dpreview..... i've shortlisted a few but still undecided....need some help!!

canon powershot pro 1
sony dsc f828
nikon coolpix 8700

my dream cam.. still the nikon d70.. a lil' outta my budget.. but don't mind saving up for it.. just that i've gotta eat grass for the rest of the yr :sweat:

another question.... which shop gives the best deals?? cathayphoto, alanphoto, southern cross, ballyphoto, mscolor, etc... ?? :dunno:
any comments??

Yup,
Think you should save a bit more and get a DSLR instead. You won't regret it.

Well, getting D70 (DSLR) is just the biggining. Add up the lenses and other accessories and check what kind of budget you need :think:

Wait for sometime and check the Pro 1 review. I saw some sample pics, very clean :thumbsup: . Canon may release newer DSLR later this year. D70 still on demand and selling close to MSRP :what:

Comparing the 3, D70 will certainly standout. But the rest not bad either. I've seen wedding photog use F828 and deliver excellent shots. Pro1 with impressive spec should do well for most situation.

Looking at how soon people buy and sell off cameras, you rather wait and get what you really like :heart:

Don't mind I use a lousy analogy here: choosing between prosumer camera and DSLR is akin to choosing between a Mac and a PC. While one may suit the need of the person and yield quick and good results, the other have the capacity to expand almost indefinitely. Both however, require the input and the technical knowhow of the user to deliver good work/pictures! :D

A prosumer camera can produce equally good, if not better pictures than a DSLR. It lies in the hands, the eyes and the mind of the user.
(and probably a lot of people will want to take me to pieces for posting this)

Ask yourself, what is it you really want?

thanks for all the advice.. :D hard choice. coz actually wanted to learn SLR.. so i thought dSLR would be a good choice.. just that it was a lil' outta budget. i'm pretty amateur. but i've seen some really good photos churned out from prosumer cams like the powershot g5 and 8700.. heh. :think: is dslr a good way to learn slr? if so i may just wait a lil' longer for the price to drop before getting one...

terzetto said:
thanks for all the advice.. :D hard choice. coz actually wanted to learn SLR.. so i thought dSLR would be a good choice.. just that it was a lil' outta budget. i'm pretty amateur. but i've seen some really good photos churned out from prosumer cams like the powershot g5 and 8700.. heh. :think: is dslr a good way to learn slr? if so i may just wait a lil' longer for the price to drop before getting one...

I don't own an dslr. But I definitely think that dslr would cut down the learning curve of operating a slr, since it can provide instant feedback for a certain settings for certain situation. This would allow you to learn from your mistake quicker, rather than having to wait for the film/slide to be developed, which would take days! :(

save up for the 10D mark II or 300D mark II??(heard of it from some friends..not sure whether true) :dunno:

will this be your first digicam with manual controls?

if no, then suggest you save up for dslr

if yes, then suggest you get a 2nd hand digicam with manual control(not necessary one of the 3). after that, learn more about manual controls while saving up for your dslr

buy 2nd hand cos u won't lose as much $$$ if you decide to sell.

They won't be in the market that soon. But very fast though. Since Canon does it all the while :bsmilie:

terzetto said:

Suggest you save a little more to buy DSLR, it is a better toy to play around .. :D

zodnm said:
will this be your first digicam with manual controls?

if no, then suggest you save up for dslr

if yes, then suggest you get a 2nd hand digicam with manual control(not necessary one of the 3). after that, learn more about manual controls while saving up for your dslr

buy 2nd hand cos u won't lose as much $$$ if you decide to sell.

erm.. not really.. the digicam i own now has manual functions.. but the shutter speed and aperture range are limited... the landscape pics or those macro pics i took... some of them look a lil' grainy.. so thought of upgrading.. at the same time perhaps take up the dslr...

terzetto said:
erm.. not really.. the digicam i own now has manual functions.. but the shutter speed and aperture range are limited... the landscape pics or those macro pics i took... some of them look a lil' grainy.. so thought of upgrading.. at the same time perhaps take up the dslr...

oh ok. if you have a cam with manual control already, what's the point of getting a higher end digicam when in the end u wanna get dslr?

advice is save up for dslr

Status
Not open for further replies.