which camera to buy

Status
Not open for further replies.

yusin79

Jul 23, 2005
hi there i am a newbie and am interested in camera and recently wanted to buy a camera for holiday use and i come across this few models:

1.) nikon 5700
2.) nikon 8800
3.) nikon d70
4.) canon 300D

i am confused whether should i get a dslr or the nikon coolpix. sorry if the range i choose is a bit wide, but can anyone tell me whether which model is good for travelling purpose and which camera can produce very sharp and brilliant colours? which one is more cost effective?will be deeply appreciated.

thanks for viewing

i suppose you could start with coolpix series based frm ur list. once you are sure that ur into photography, then switch to a full D/SLR.

DSLRs are going to be more expensive in the long run, but they are more flexible, generally perform faster than even the top-end fixed-lens cameras, and also offer very good image quality, especially at high ISO settings.

But depending on your demands, it should also be possible to work entirely from the kit lens of the Canon 300D or the Nikon D70, which would defray lens costs for a while.

Also, do not discount the new Canon PowerShot S2 IS, Canon 350D or the cheaper Nikon D50. These are also good cameras.

Read the reviews at www.dcresource.com and www.dpreview.com for more information.

While high-end fixed-lens cameras are good in their own right, do consider putting in a little bit more money for a DSLR, which might satisfy your needs for a longer period of time.

mayb u 1 2 ask urself some Qs b4 buying? like...

. will d rest of ur family memberz b using it?
. will u mind a chunky cam or would u like a compact 1?
. how much r u willing 2 spend? (not 4getting stuff like spare batts, memory cards, tripod, etc)
. wad features r important 2 u? (powerful zoom range, pixel count, image stabilizer, etc)
. is it user friendly or would u b fumbling over its settings on a trip & miss out on getting pics instead??
. would u mind 2nd hand stuff 2 save cost? (sorry i not selling) hahaa...:bsmilie:

take ur time 2 find out more. buy a cam, dun b sold 1. happy shopping...:vhappy: :vhappy:

sORe-EyEz said:
mayb u 1 2 ask urself some Qs b4 buying? like...

. will d rest of ur family memberz b using it?
. will u mind a chunky cam or would u like a compact 1?
. how much r u willing 2 spend? (not 4getting stuff like spare batts, memory cards, tripod, etc)
. wad features r important 2 u? (powerful zoom range, pixel count, image stabilizer, etc)
. is it user friendly or would u b fumbling over its settings on a trip & miss out on getting pics instead??
. would u mind 2nd hand stuff 2 save cost? (sorry i not selling) hahaa...:bsmilie:

take ur time 2 find out more. buy a cam, dun b sold 1. happy shopping...:vhappy: :vhappy:

Thanks everyone for your advice :) i am actually looking for a sharp with brilliant colours and good zoom.

by the way i guess only i am the only one using and dun really mind carrying a chunky camera. actually today i went down to SLS to look at camera and they recommend me the olympus e300 package....very attractive but i dunno whether is it a good camera and is the resale value good? does anyone know whether is canon eos 300D better than olympus E300 or vice versa?

thanks!

I've juz taken a look at the e300 specs. it stated "ISO 100/200/400. Expandable to 800/1600". ermm... does that mean it doesnt come built-in with at least ISO800 capability? if that's so, u hve to consider if u require higher ISO.

if u are not intending to buy more lens in future, it might be advisable for you to get compact cameras with wider zoom range. as wht fWord has recommended, Canon Powershot S2 IS is one camera u can consider. it fits the requirements you have stated anyway.

Do consider the Panasonic FZ5...:bsmilie:
It is a good camera to carry for tour. :thumbsup:
-36 mm - 432 mm (12x) zoom lens
This feature will able to help you get close up pictures that most compact unable
to deliver, yet it is so convenient to carry around if size matter.
The price is also very attractive.

yusin79 said:
Thanks everyone for your advice :) i am actually looking for a sharp with brilliant colours and good zoom.

by the way i guess only i am the only one using and dun really mind carrying a chunky camera. actually today i went down to SLS to look at camera and they recommend me the olympus e300 package....very attractive but i dunno whether is it a good camera and is the resale value good? does anyone know whether is canon eos 300D better than olympus E300 or vice versa?

thanks!

pls read up more? DSLRs, by and large, requires some form of PSing to bring out the colours and sharpness (okie... even for the fuji DSLR users, u still need to do USM, yah? :bsmilie: ). if u want 'sharp andbrilliant colours' straight out of cam, suggest u stick with prosumer cameras. anyway, from ur requirements, i think u shld buy a prosumer, IMO.

i was not into photography in the past... had some point and shoot camera, then bought a SLR, but did not use it to its potential...

then decided to move to digital and i started off with a compact digital... and found that it did not suit my needs and then went on to a DSLR...

did not really regret buying the compact digital... can be useful for those times when you do not want to be weighed down with a lot of things....
DSLR is clearly going to offer you more room for play, but cost much much more and is very bulky....

my point is, even if you start off with a compact digital, it does not really mean that your money will go to waste should you decide to move to DSLR later...
in fact, it will be more economical to start with a compact digital first. cause if you find that photography is not your cup of tea, then you have not invested into the DSLR yet... and anyway, a compact digital at this age of modernisation has become part of our lives....

just my opinion....
cheers

hmmm,...

u may 1 2 wait for Panasonic FZ-30 to hit our shores.:think:

i particularly like d manual zoom ring...

thank guys for your avdvice, really appreciate

For the price range of the those cams you've mentioned, you could go for most DLSR kits. Nikon D50, D70s, Canon 550D so is the E300. But the number of lens available for Nikon and Canon is far more then Olympus, you could alos go for 3rd party lenses (Sigma, Tokina, Tameron) which are significantly cheaper.

What's more is that are the longest lens range, the DLSR out performs any of these ZLRs by a million miles. Then again it's your choice.

Status
Not open for further replies.