Which camera should i start with

Status
Not open for further replies.

areku

Mar 7, 2006
Hi,
I started to apreciate photography and would like to start off as a hobby. I have a canon A70 for normal photo taking but would like to get a more professional camera to start my passion. Can anyone suggest which camera I can start with. Of course not so expensive but resonable for a professional start off equipment.

Many thanks
Areku

areku said:
Hi,
I started to apreciate photography and would like to start off as a hobby. I have a canon A70 for normal photo taking but would like to get a more professional camera to start my passion. Can anyone suggest which camera I can start with. Of course not so expensive but resonable for a professional start off equipment.

Many thanks
Areku

If you want a professional start, then the price would also have to be professional. What's your budget?

areku said:
Hi,

Many thanks
Areku

Do you have friends or relatives from whom you can borrow an SLR (film or digital) from; for a couple of weeks?

Try that avenue before making a decision to purchase an SLR camera. It might give you a clue as to what you should look for in your next camera.

areku said:
Hi,
I started to apreciate photography and would like to start off as a hobby. I have a canon A70 for normal photo taking but would like to get a more professional camera to start my passion. Can anyone suggest which camera I can start with.

You might want to think about what features of your existing camera are not up to your standards and then formulate the requirements for your new camera. With this background information, it might be easier to make a reasonable choice/give reasonable advice. If the main criterion is "professional", I'm pretty sure the A70 has been used professionally before ...

Ok, you haven't mentioned anything about budget, or how 'professional' you want the camera to be...i'll just assume that you're planning to get a film/digital SLR.. so i listed out some (both canon and nikon) that might be of interest for you...
(if any of the model names are wrong, pls do correct me..i'm just typing from the top of my head..heh)

Film Bodies:
Canon

EOS 30/33 (son of the EOS 50, pretty compact..used to own one..good piece of equipment)
EOS 50/55 (father of the EOS 30, bodies can have the Eye-Controlled Focus (ECF), not really useful for me though)
EOS 5 (older semi-pro model, can get one of these for cheap now, I own one too, pretty nice)

Nikon
F80 (the older Nikon equivalent of the EOS 30, but has spot metering..which is really excellent for such a mid-range model)
F100 (okay, this one is pretty expensive, but really good. The equivalent of the EOS 3, but i feel that this babeh is better...)

Digital Bodies:
Canon (all with the prefix 'EOS')

300D (okay, this one started all the hype for lower-end DSLRs, can get one for less than a thousand around here, nvr used it, but i think it's pretty good)
D60 (an older generation model, before 300D came out, D60 is pretty good still with a 6mp sensor, with a professional looking body. I own one of this, and it's pretty good outdoors, can't say the same for indoor stuff, really need a flash to assist in focussing. Can find a 2nd hand one in the $700-900 range.)
10D (the model right after the D60, and i feel that this is really a gem of a camera... the AF is pretty fast, even in low-light, and has pretty advanced functions for an older model. Priced at about $1000+ for a second hand model. Body looks and feels pro, especially with the battery packed attached.. try to get this if you don't want to spend too much on a DSLR body.)
350D (okay, can't say much about this one coz i'm totally out of touch with the more recent models. Should be quite affodably priced 2nd hand, try to search around for prices. The interface is slightly different from the mid-range models, and therefore makes me kinda dun like it that much..just try it out for yourself and make the call..)

Nikon

D70 (in my opinion, the D70 is so much better than its Canon equivalent, 300D. This is in terms of it's functionality as a camera..gotta try both to see the difference.. Not sure about the prices for a 2nd hand one, try checking around the forum)

D50 (okay, not sure about this one, haven't even read about it...should be pretty good considering the success of the D70..)

For film SLRs, i recommend EOS 30 and EOS 5. For DSLRs, 350D or 10D will be a gd start.

areku said:
Hi,

Many thanks
Areku

I suggest that you stick with the A70 for a bit longer. Shoot more, say 10K frames, if you still like photography, then buy. Too soon to know whether it's going to be a passion or not. Too many people rush out to bu a dslr, and spent hours admiring it inside a dry cabinet.

btw, photography is photography, what do you mean by normal photography? Does that imply that there are abnormal photography?

Canon 20D will be a good start as canon 30D is coming the price of 20D will drop...:thumbsup:
If you just want to play around first, canon 350D is for you...;)

nikon d50, d70
canon 350D
olympus E series

but do consider the HUGE amt u mite have to put in to acquire new Lens and assessories
cheers:)

mazeppa26 said:
nikon d50, d70
canon 350D
olympus E series

but do consider the HUGE amt u mite have to put in to acquire new Lens and assessories
cheers:)

In the world of DSLRs and SLRs, they only earn your money through the lens and accessories you buy and not the camera body.

In the past....I think many would jump to prosumer....thats what I do^^|

Now, given A70 have more functions already ... quite near to prosumer in some way and most importantly, DSLR price is getting low now, a 2nd hand 300D cost around $700... so u might consider skipping prosumer range.

However...before getting there, how many photos have u taken with A70 and how long have u been snapping? Have u tried macro, night scene....etc...tried using the M functions in A70? if u can get those stuff correct then think of upgrading. I assume ur normal photography = auto/P mode?

Read up more about shutter, aperture. If u wanna jump higher...gotta read up more about lens... and f-stop...iso etc... not sure what else though.

And ya...DSLR is not only about body though...is the lens that cost $$ too.

Finally is ensure ur passion in photography is not just temporary ... i guess thats most important.

digi~ET said:
In the past....I think many would jump to prosumer....thats what I do^^|

Now, given A70 have more functions already ... quite near to prosumer in some way and most importantly, DSLR price is getting low now, a 2nd hand 300D cost around $700... so u might consider skipping prosumer range.

However...before getting there, how many photos have u taken with A70 and how long have u been snapping? Have u tried macro, night scene....etc...tried using the M functions in A70? if u can get those stuff correct then think of upgrading. I assume ur normal photography = auto/P mode?

Read up more about shutter, aperture. If u wanna jump higher...gotta read up more about lens... and f-stop...iso etc... not sure what else though.

And ya...DSLR is not only about body though...is the lens that cost $$ too.

Finally is ensure ur passion in photography is not just temporary ... i guess thats most important.

Don't need to think about a prosumer digicam, just jump straight to a DSLR cos from there can learn the wonders of what it can achieve where prosumers can't.

Snoweagle said:
Don't need to think about a prosumer digicam, just jump straight to a DSLR cos from there can learn the wonders of what it can achieve where prosumers can't.

I disagree. I learnt lots of things with my prosumer camera than with my older pNs camera, don't rule out a prosumer just cuz its of lower status than a DSLR. You don't need a DSLR just to do wonders with a camera.

to digi~ET, the only points you need to ask yourself would be :

1. budget. are you willing to splurge for DSLR?
2. passion. do you want to appreciate the art, or just show off equipment and anyhow shoot. [no pun intended]

I kind of agree with Deadpoet on his point :

Deadpoet said:
I suggest that you stick with the A70 for a bit longer. Shoot more, say 10K frames, if you still like photography, then buy. Too soon to know whether it's going to be a passion or not. Too many people rush out to buy a dslr, and spent hours admiring it inside a dry cabinet.

IMO a prosumer is not a bad camera, all camera's arent bad but its features. I agree that i've seen lots of people leave behind a prosumer to kick start a DSLR, but then again, everyone starts somewhere. Some of you start from film then to digital right? So...

Haiz. my 2 cents.

metallilan said:
I disagree. I learnt lots of things with my prosumer camera than with my older pNs camera, don't rule out a prosumer just cuz its of lower status than a DSLR. You don't need a DSLR just to do wonders with a camera.

2. passion. do you want to appreciate the art, or just show off equipment and anyhow shoot. [no pun intended]

IMO a prosumer is not a bad camera, all camera's arent bad but its features. I agree that i've seen lots of people leave behind a prosumer to kick start a DSLR, but then again, everyone starts somewhere. Some of you start from film then to digital right? So...

Haiz. my 2 cents.

Ermm..what i meant was the ability to interchange and use different types of lens and the ability to expose longer and smaller apertures hehe.

metallilan said:

Haiz. my 2 cents.

is there a misunderstanding somewhere?^^|....I am not the one who started the thread.....just to clarify...

Hee...and ya..I am not belittling prosumer, am using one now....and is doing a great job for me for like....2-3yrs wo:thumbsup:

But why i said they could consider skipping prosumer...is becos of the similarity of the A series and G series now. I am not 100% sure yet, but i think they have more functions than those earlier A series and is nearer to G series already. THats why i said might consider jumping prosumer and straight to DSLR ... but well.......a steeper learning curve i guess but can play with more things.

If u say...to show off equip...i think a prosumer cam is enough..haha...cos to non photographer, prosumer is a wow....... to a photographer, even 300D or 350D is nothing to wow at i guess::sweat: sweat:

digi~ET said:
is there a misunderstanding somewhere?^^|....I am not the one who started the thread.....just to clarify...

Hee...and ya..I am not belittling prosumer, am using one now....and is doing a great job for me for like....2-3yrs wo:thumbsup:

But why i said they could consider skipping prosumer...is becos of the similarity of the A series and G series now. I am not 100% sure yet, but i think they have more functions than those earlier A series and is nearer to G series already. THats why i said might consider jumping prosumer and straight to DSLR ... but well.......a steeper learning curve i guess but can play with more things.

If u say...to show off equip...i think a prosumer cam is enough..haha...cos to non photographer, prosumer is a wow....... to a photographer, even 300D or 350D is nothing to wow at i guess::sweat: sweat:

If really wow, get the EOS 1D series. :sweat: :sweat:

lol...1Ds is so heavy with lens and flash....... i handled one before for a while....can't really handle the weight so didn't play much heee...

Status
Not open for further replies.