Which camera should I get?

Status
Not open for further replies.

NewbieInCS

Jun 11, 2009
Singapore
Hi. Newbie here. Having a little hard time deciding between the d90 and 50d. Due to my limited budget now, I can only afford to go for the d90 with a tamron 17-50 or a 50d with the 18-55 kit lens and a 50mm f/1.8. Which way will make more sense? I have no issue with size and weight. Which will give better low light performance for stationary objects? I read that the 50d has microfocus adjustment and peripheral illumination correction, does these matter?

Will one be able to withstand human sweat and non-petrolum grade oil better? Is one more scratch resistance than the other?

Hi. Newbie here. Having a little hard time deciding between the d90 and 50d. Due to my limited budget now, I can only afford to go for the d90 with a tamron 17-50 or a 50d with the 18-55 kit lens and a 50mm f/1.8. Which way will make more sense? I have no issue with size and weight. Which will give better low light performance for stationary objects? I read that the 50d has microfocus adjustment and peripheral illumination correction, does these matter?

Will one be able to withstand human sweat and non-petrolum grade oil better? Is one more scratch resistance than the other?

Can I suggest you try out both cams in the shop. Feel it, touch it, try it. The most important is you must feel comfortable holding the cam.

Please use the search function....

This has been discussed many many many times :)

You will get information faster

i try both D90 and 50D....both cam is in my place fro few weeks d...
my friend leave it in my place to let me play around and for safekeeping.. as they live in the campsite (most of the time)

so I hav a many chance to play with them…

below is my think for both camera

colour: I enjoy the 50D super rich colour

interface: D90(I am a Nikon user, so is vy personal)

ISO: D90

Built: 50D

Remember, this IS MY PERSONAL experience on the both system…I am just sharing…

Still, my point is go test both camera to c which 1 u feel better…

I think also the choice of lens is also important. Canon has a wider range of lens than Nikon. so if you are into lens and need more variety, canon is the way to go.

even if Canon has a wider range of lenses, you'll only be getting what you need. So in the end, it doesn't matter which brand. As long as you're comfortable with it.;)

I think also the choice of lens is also important. Canon has a wider range of lens than Nikon. so if you are into lens and need more variety, canon is the way to go.

may I know what lenses Canon have but Nikon don't have?

may I know what lenses Canon have but Nikon don't have?

Canon 70-200 F4, 70-200 F4 IS, 70-200 F2.8, 70-200 2.8 IS
vs
Nikon AF-S VR 70-200mm f/2.8G IF-ED

i will recommend nikon d300.

You will not be buying all the lenses Canon has....even professionals also uses specific lenses for their profile requirements.

And all manufacturers and 3rd party has more than enough lenses to cater to us consumer and so-called hobbists...

PS: you will only need 1 good lens vs many lousy ones...

Last edited:

You have already answered your own question. For high ISO performance, D90/D300 is the best out there now for this price range.

Thanks for the reply. Please lets not turn this into a canon vs nikon. Both have their individual pros and cons, nothing is perfect, just which is more suitable.

I am asking about sweat and oil because I will be using the camera when doing repair work for my toys, which requires me to get my hands really dirty and oily, and sometimes even with petrolum lubricant. Since it is rough work, of course I will be really hot and sweaty with perspiration dripping down my face onto the camera. Don't want a case of oil corroding the surface or sweat shorting out the camera if it should drip in through the buttons.

likimikuku, The canon 50d has richer colour? Does it apply for jpg too?

TBH, after thinking about it for a while, I choose the d90 because I thought it fits my 2k budget well and the lens should be good enough for a while. However, after a short trip to funan, it seems it isn't so.

Because 1. prices for both d90 body and tamron 17-50 seems to have increased as compared to the price list guide here. 2. The current production of tamron is not very sharp, is it? In fact, almost got conned:angry:

After hunting around funan with my towkay from work, it seems that TCW sells the grey tamron 17-50. Was quoted d90 body $1380 and tamron 17-50(grey) $550. We asked the old man there his d90 is it local set, he replied yes. He even started talking about integrity, can check their reputation on cs forum..blah blah blah...then he went on ask me if I am student at ntu and many student there come buy from him etc..ok maybe he WAS an honest man. His supposedly "boss" reassured all d90 they carry now is local set.

Then so my towkay went on to help me test...1 copy...2...3 copy, all not very sharp, but problem started arising. I suddenly realise their d90 body comes with a jap warranty card and no local card. And so the conversation goes like this(note, not exact one, but main point is there)...

me: eh, this one no local warranty card?
old man: all no local card one.
me: then if want claim warranty how?
old man: use receipt can already. I will give you receipt later.
me: if no warranty card how to go local agent for servicing?
old man: you just bring to us, we help you bring there to service.
me: then can I bring it there myself?
old man: also can
me: no local warranty card can meh?
old man: can, got receipt can liao...then after a lot more bullshit...
old man: the d90 body here all is imported set, only kit is local set....

obviously, that old man is either too old and forgetful or out to con. Hai, first time buy dslr tio such bullshit.

Ok anyway back to the lens. What I tested were unboxed grey set, are they like substandard grade ones? Coz the 3 set my towkay tested, first one was worst than my pns and the other two not very sharp too. He told me the tamron he used to have with his d300 was a lot sharper. So boxed and no box set got difference? I thought can save $100 buying grey, but apparently not.

Canon 70-200 F4, 70-200 F4 IS, 70-200 F2.8, 70-200 2.8 IS
vs
Nikon AF-S VR 70-200mm f/2.8G IF-ED

that's a good one... tell me a f/2.8g cannot take photos at f/4...

i agree that Nikon lack of some perspective control lenses like 45mm mp-e, 65mm mp-e macro, and 90mm mp-e...

but canon also lack of de-focus control lenses like Nikon 105DC and 135DC...

my say is... every company got their unique products... Zeiss always lack of zoom lenses but who dare to say that their lenses aren't worth the price?

try not to be a lens collector... buy what you need...

shall we stop the canon vs nikon thingy?

BTW, I made my choice already. 50D with 18-55, $1869 from HN-F. Thought it is suppose to be brand new set but KNN go home check shutter count already 400+. I used the astrojagon software to check.

Did test a copy of tamron at john 3:16, it was SHARP. Way sharper and totally acceptable compared to what I tested at TCW. Only issue was AF not very fast and the only d90 body that they had in stock seems to be working a bit weird in terms of white balance with consistent back focus with 1x tamron and 1x kit lens that I tried. Nice staff there though, not pushy and gave me all the time in the world to try. Totally unlike other shops who just want to push the sales.

Once you have to shoot stationnary objects with dirty and oily hands, it would be wise not to touch your camera but to put it on tripod and use a remote shutter release to snap after prefocusing at your objets. If you do so, no matter low light performance of the camera you buy for you will picture at low ISO with low shutter speed in Manual Focus : an old EOS300D or an old D70 can do, even a merely cheap prosumer with macro converter.

You did not tell much about the size of your objects. Maybe you need a macro lens to shoot them. Maybe a prime zoom lens is enough. Here is a full exif not cropped shot with my old EOS 300D with his not popular 18-55mm/3,5-5,6 EF-S (version 1 not IS) kit lens, at 55mm, on tripod, at 100 ISO and manual (pre)focusing :

stationnary-object-at-100-iso-fc2814.jpg

In your case, no need to spend much money.

Hope this help,
YP.

Last edited:
Both camera will achieve the same thing, it is just a matter of what lens, accessory and technique. E.g in the macro section, folks uses just D90+50mm+raynox and a flash with own diffuser combo and 50D setup too. There are those who uses compact combo too. Each achieve their goals differently. Peripheral correction is only applicable to Canon lens but there are software out there too.

One would choose a specific model to when you are getting direct information from an identical source like book for specific model or classroom training where approach is direct adoptation and get result.

All camera will corrode in perspiration and no such thing as scratch proof. You can buy camera armour rubber skin to protect. I use car Autoglym extra gloss to prolong the surface and grip from contact corrosion + drybox too.

shall we stop the canon vs nikon thingy?

BTW, I made my choice already. 50D with 18-55, $1869 from HN-F. Thought it is suppose to be brand new set but KNN go home check shutter count already 400+. I used the astrojagon software to check.

Did test a copy of tamron at john 3:16, it was SHARP. Way sharper and totally acceptable compared to what I tested at TCW. Only issue was AF not very fast and the only d90 body that they had in stock seems to be working a bit weird in terms of white balance with consistent back focus with 1x tamron and 1x kit lens that I tried. Nice staff there though, not pushy and gave me all the time in the world to try. Totally unlike other shops who just want to push the sales.

well, congrats on your new camera!

if you shoot a lot of stationary objects in low-light, i recommend that you get a decent tripod. using high ISOs is okay, but with a tripod, you can keep your ISO low, and thus improving on the image quality: cleaner image, better colours, better sharpness

just my 2 cents

Status
Not open for further replies.