Which camera should I get?

Status
Not open for further replies.

racheal

Aug 12, 2008
I'm totally new to DSLR. Intend to get one for my trip end of this month, and of course I'm interested in photgraphing. Hope to get some advise on which camera should I get.

1. Nikon D60
2. Nikon D80
3. Canon EOS450D
4. Canon 1000D
5. Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ8

Last edited:
450D :D

or FZ8 if don't want to keep buying lenses and the never ending accessories associated with DSLR :D

I thought FZ8 will have "noise" if low light.

FZ-8 would be better for ur choice

If you're getting just for the trip and thinking that the photos will look great just because its a DSLR, then go buy a prosumer or a PnS. Just save the money. You've got a kinda steep learning curve ahead to figure out how to make the most of your DSLR (and money) on the holiday.

BUT, i'd suggest the Nikon D60 or Canon 1000D if you're set on getting a DSLR

If it's just for your trip at the end of this month, get the Lumix.

Two weeks is just too short a time for someone totally new to photography to appreciate SLRs; as vonlichenstein mentioned, you'll probably get better pictures from the PnS.

Noise is should really be the last of your worries.

Last edited:
Second the idea of getting a PnS instead.
There will be a learning curve on getting the basics.
And after that, applying the basics to shoot as well as or better control than a PnS will take abit more practice as well. Lack of control can produce far more disappointing results than a PnS.

But for a start the 1000D looks tempting, I would imagine the liveview to ease the transition from a PnS to a DSLR viewfinder

Ryan

Agree with - giantcanopy - just get a PnS camera. :thumbsup:

Only get a DSLR if you are really interested in Photogaphy.... and not just for the trip :think:

i advice 450D... you just need to use the 'green box' mode for everything.

and if you like to 'zoom in' a lot, get the 55-250mm lens to compliment the kit lens.

For normal landscape and travel photography, an entry level DSLR would suffice. Maybe you can consider getting a SONY A350 or the Olympus E520 as well as these cameras comes with an in-body image stabiliser and live view as well.

bring along a tripod low those low light shots and set your iso to the minimum
to get rid of those pesky noise artifacts

and that would be the scariest one out of the bunch.
talking cameras :bsmilie::bsmilie:

Knight Industry Three Thousand: Talking cars and now talking cameras! :bsmilie:

"Buy me! Buy me! I'm better than the rest! I can talk!"

it is the connection between the camera and you

the "force" will flow and you will know that this is the one for you.
that is why some people take better pictures than others

creative types - the force
and engineer types - the specifications

I'm totally new to DSLR.

Then, buy the CHEAPEST dSLR. Statistic shows that if you linger in ClubSnap, you will be upgrading your equipment fast. So no point buying expensive gear only to upgrade in a few months.

Then, buy the CHEAPEST dSLR. Statistic shows that if you linger in ClubSnap, you will be upgrading your equipment fast. So no point buying expensive gear only to upgrade in a few months.

LOL. how true. but if you buy the cheapest now and want to upgrade later, whats the point? I think he/she should buy the camera he/she(gah i assume he la lazy type so much) feels the most comfortable with, and just stick with that body for at least a year.

What about D80? I am using D80. i find is good enough for beginner!! must see your budget. if you have the budget mind as well get a full frame camera!!

1000d.
10mp is more than enough already.
and the 1000d is the latest sensor available for 10mp count.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.