Which camera phone? BB Z10, SE Z or Nokia 920?

ManWearPants

Jul 14, 2008
Singapore
My mobile contract is ending in March. Barring the availability of the phones, which camera phone below will you go for? I tried to summarize the specs.

1) Nokia Lumia 920
- Processor: Snapdragon dual core 1.5Ghz; 1GB internal ram
- 8.7 MP megapixels
- 4x digital zoom
- Carl Zeiss Tessar 26mm f2.0 lens; MFD: 8 cm
- flash: Short pulse high power dual LED
- Sensor type: BSI; True 16:9 sensor; Pixel size 1.4 µm; Sensor size 1/3"
- up to ISO 800
- feature: Pureview
2) Sony Xperia Z
- Processor: Snapdragon Pro S4 quad-core 1.5GHz; 2GB ram
- 13 megapixel
- 16x digital zoom
- Lens: 28mm f2.2 (TBV)
- Flash/Pulsed LED and Photo light
- sensor type: BSI ; Sensor size 1/3"
- feature: HDR for both picture/video
3) Blackberry Z10
- Processor: Snapdragon dual core 1.5Ghz ; 2GB ram
- 8 megapixel
- 5x digital zoom
- 5-element F2.2 lens
- Sensor type: BSI; Pixel size 1.4 µm; Sensor size 1/3"
- Dedicated ISP (image signal processor) with 64MB frame buffer
- feature: Time Shift mode for pinpointing and adjusting individual elements of your picture

Sorry, Apple iPhone 5 and Samsung Galaxy S3 are not in my radar. I am generally concern about
1) the responsiveness of the camera mode, ie how fast to start up and capture a moment and time between taking photos.
2) image quality in low light conditions, eg pubs, night, etc
3) sharp, high contrast and neutral colours under varied good light conditions
4) ability to freeze action

I have found a review here which puts the IQ of Nokia Lumia 920 to be on top, without the Sony Xperia Z in the frame.
http://crackberry.com/feature-focus-blackberry-z10-camera

Last edited:
All phones use small sensors, so they will struggle with freezing action in low light.

That being said, aside from the bonus of being waterproof, the xperia z has a great exmor sensor and the camera starts up super fast. Brilliant screen too. :)

All phones use small sensors, so they will struggle with freezing action in low light.

That being said, aside from the bonus of being waterproof, the xperia z has a great exmor sensor and the camera starts up super fast. Brilliant screen too. :)

Yes, I am swaying towards either the Xperia Z or Lumia 920. The Lumia 920 has a slightly wider FoV and from reviews, outstanding IQ. However, Sony camera phones have always been outstanding. Have you laid hands on a Xperia Z , if yes, where?

The BB Z10 loses out in the IQ dept. Think will not be pursuing it.

Last edited:
Yes, I am swaying towards either the Xperia Z or Lumia 920. The Lumia 920 has a slightly wider FoV and from reviews, outstanding IQ. However, Sony camera phones have always been outstanding. Have you laid hands on a Xperia Z , if yes, where?

The BB Z10 loses out in the IQ dept. Think will not be pursuing it.

There are Z demo units at all the 6range stores and sonystyle stores like wisma

consider L G , some of their newer offerings are very snappy and quick off the mark

Nope.no LG.they dun offer support for phones slightly outdated. My sister LG 2X aka quad core or dual core thingy...till now no ics.went over to facebook page no one will reply to ur questions...stick to samsung or sony .nokia is windows phone if u dun mind.bb is not bad..but look at the battery capacity..not as lasting as those found under the hood of note2.

root and cyanogen anyone ?

what TS is using now?''cos now its a BB,android and a window OS.

I always buy what I think is the best camera phone. So 2 years ago, I decided on SE Arc. That is an Android.While IQ is outstanding, it is slow to access the camera function. I would like to see how much Sony/Android have improved.

What is the downside of Windows phone?

Last edited:
Just look wat happen to the batches b4 the windows nokia 920 series..the lumia 900,800 if i recall cannot be updated to latest windows OS.

Yeah..arc is good.serve me the longest..8 months.before i feel the battery kinda wonky..sold it off and get a Note.

Less apps, almost zero customization

agree. I find Win8 apps to be slow coming. Do not think they can catch up with Andriod. I don't care about customizations. Even better if there is no clumsy skins to slow down the OS.

The older Windows Phones with 7.5 OS can now be upgraded to 7.8. Which is pretty good. Currently using a Lumia 800 and loving it.

Some say that there are not enough apps for the Windows Phone OS, but put your hand to your heart, how many of these apps do you use on a regular basis? The ones that you use most of the time, i'm sure Windows Phones have it... try naming me something common and not found on Windows Phone...

Just look wat happen to the batches b4 the windows nokia 920 series..the lumia 900,800 if i recall cannot be updated to latest windows OS.

Yeah..arc is good.serve me the longest..8 months.before i feel the battery kinda wonky..sold it off and get a Note.

The older Windows Phones with 7.5 OS can now be upgraded to 7.8. Which is pretty good. Currently using a Lumia 800 and loving it.

Some say that there are not enough apps for the Windows Phone OS, but put your hand to your heart, how many of these apps do you use on a regular basis? The ones that you use most of the time, i'm sure Windows Phones have it... try naming me something common and not found on Windows Phone...

for photographers - the most useful app of all - Snapseed (iOS & Android)

oops & the CS app (iOS & Android), spotify and instagram, & my personal favourite fifa 13 for gamers... & I'm sure many more depending on your personal inclinations.

Last edited:
There are alternatives to those apps which you have listed... anyway no point in arguing about how apps work on a phone... a phone is what it is, used for making calls and messages... for me, i really like the Windows Phone...

My advice for TS, go ahead and try all 3 phones first before buying...

oops & the CS app (iOS & Android), spotify and instagram, & my personal favourite fifa 13 for gamers... & I'm sure many more depending on your personal inclinations.

To addon, there us no usable expense manager, Flickr, eBay, QQ messenger, taxi bookings, banking apps, etc.

I have been contemplating using pure MS - IE, Skype, Hotmail, Skydrive, OneNote vs Mixed - Chrome, Skype, Gmail, Dropbox, Evernote. I have a desktop, 2 notebooks on Win8. So Nokia Lumia 920 is high on my list. But looking at the specs, Sony Xperia Z should be quite a camera phone.

How about waiting for HTC to see what they have to offer with their upcoming and highly anticipated "new sound and camera experience" announcement especially after they have been so critical of Nokia PureView? I wouldn't hold my hopes too high for it though.

Don't think HTC will release before April since there is no news.

[edit] I went to try the HTC One S (new camera and sound experience mentioned on brochure) . All camera functions are touch screen. There is no hard button to get into camera mode. To focus, you have to touch the screen where the subject is, then press the shutter button on screen. Not very smart leh. Maybe I am not using it correctly. Moving between gallery and camera is very swift.

I also tested the Lumia 820, cannot find 920. Getting into camera mode is fast. However, cannot find zoom. Does it comes with zoom? Also, not able to switch between gallery and camera mode simply. Have to exit camera mode to apps and then go into gallery from there. Need to explore more.

Last edited:

official instagram for windows? hmm?Snapseed?

OK, I have decided on Sony Xperia Z. The quad core and 2GB ram should be quite fast. Android has more 3rd party apps support. And Sony being a TV and camera manufacturer should do well with its Bravia Engine II and Exmore RS.

Nokia will have to wait another 2 years to earn my money, ie if they are still around then.

Last edited: