Which camera is better?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mystic

Feb 17, 2002
East of SG
art.digital-dude.net
Hi everyone

im thinking of getting a camera and i see that olympus C4040 is great. but somehow i heard that it is no more in production. they are now selling C4000. What is the difference between this two?

For fuji F601 is it worth getting it or the C4040 or C4000?

Song brothers in sim lim sq quoted me F601 for 800 and C4000 for $870. all come in standard accesories.

Should i wait?

Perhaps you can list down what you like and don't like between the various models, and decide from there.

In terms of money sense, the price difference isn't that great. The value you would reap out of the camera would be how well you utilise your purchase. So I guess the question now is which camera would suit your shooting habits and style.

Do tell us more about what you foresee doing with the camera, eg the photographic situations you envision being in.

both looks great but its hard to decide.... i jus wanna take great pictures maybe as a hobby or so.. but it seems that theres lot to learn from it.

consider which one has better resale value in case you decide to sell it within 1 month to upgrade :rbounce:

Originally posted by erwinx
consider which one has better resale value in case you decide to sell it within 1 month to upgrade :rbounce:

Anything German will have excellent resale value, or will even appreciate in value. Think Leica. :devil:

Regards
CK

Originally posted by mystic
Hi everyone

im thinking of getting a camera and i see that olympus C4040 is great. but somehow i heard that it is no more in production. they are now selling C4000. What is the difference between this two?

C4040 has a faster lens (which helps during low-light photography) and higher fps for the burst modes. otherwise, it's almost the same as the C4000.

either would be very good cameras.

but I just want to propose something.... would you want to take pics of animals, insects, birds, catwalk models? if you want, you might want to consider a camera with a longer zoom.

but I just want to propose something.... would you want to take pics of animals, insects, birds, catwalk models? if you want, you might want to consider a camera with a longer zoom. [/B][/QUOTE]

any reviews about fuji F601?

So which means olympus will be a better choice?

I think u sacrifice resolution for features better. then even memory can buy less... shoot a few thousand shots then see if you want something else...

Love People, Use Things, Not Love Things, Use People

U have to identify yr budget and needs, balance the two.

Also, the no. of pixels is important depending if u want to print or not? If print, how big do u fancy it to be, A4 or smaller?

Impt to have a good camera that produces gd looking pictures rather than a good looking camera!;)

Gd luck.
:rbounce:

Originally posted by jeff chen

U have to identify yr budget and needs, balance the two.

Also, the no. of pixels is important depending if u want to print or not? If print, how big do u fancy it to be, A4 or smaller?

Impt to have a good camera that produces gd looking pictures rather than a good looking camera!;)

Gd luck.
:rbounce:

so which olympus camera produce the gd looking pic?

Mystic, you'll have to decide on your camera based on the type of photography you'll be doing, e.g. animals, people, architecture, macro, landscape, street, etc. For example, if you want to shoot animals at the zoo, you're better off with a camera with more than the standard 3x optical zoom. The Olympus 2100UZ has 10x zoom (38mm-380mm) and image stablization. If you want to shoot mostly architecture, then a camera with wider lens of about 28mm or less will be better.
Other things to consider: your budget, the handling and size of the camera. Check out reviews on sites like dpreview.com (there's a feature search facility, e.g CF/zoom/USB); imaging-resource.com; dcviews.com & photographyreview.com, then go to the shops and try out the camera's you've narrowed down.
Hope that helps.

I think Rubric is right, it really depends on yr need. The Q u have to ask yrself:

1. What is the pixels I need?
2. Do I use the images for print or on PC?
3. If print, what size, up to A3 u probably need at least a 4-5 megapix camera.
4. Will I be using flash photo with my camera? Most built in flash are pretty useless and if u need it, then something with a hot-shoe is impt.
5. Which u prefer 28 or 35 mm starting point?
6. What abt zoom, how many times? No pt getting a camera with less than 3 times zoom becos u can just stand forward a little to take the shot!
7. Must warn u abt those long zoom, u will probably need a tripod to shoot those 8X zoom unless u have very steady hands and have excellent breathing/handling technique. I am not sure how the image stabilizers work, though, but chances are u may need a tripod to shoot zoom.
8. Test test test. Try to experiment with the camera u have in mind as much as possible, try shooting macro and zoom under different lighting conditions. Save it on a memory card and have it printed on one same printer (preferably direct print to shoot type of printers) to compare the results. Only in print can u see the results especially when u make them at A4 size. Also, be careful when u read reviews, they all have their agendas. Nothing beats testing the camera for yrself!
9. Budget, very impt. What is the price u are willing to pay? These days the price of the camera in related to no. of megapixels. The higher the megapix the more costly. Chances are, those cameras within the same price category have similiar prices.
10. Also, in digicam, u have to worry abt printing and storage media as well. I am not sure which media is better, but compact flash is usually acceptable with most printers that are direct print and shoot type. Canon for instance have printers that can print 4R size pix when u just plug the camera direct into the printer. Otherwise, if u send to a digilab, they usually accept all mediums, CF, CD, Memory stick etc.
:devil: Gd luck!

Originally posted by jeff chen

10. Also, in digicam, u have to worry abt printing and storage media as well. I am not sure which media is better, but compact flash is usually acceptable with most printers that are direct print and shoot type. Canon for instance have printers that can print 4R size pix when u just plug the camera direct into the printer. Otherwise, if u send to a digilab, they usually accept all mediums, CF, CD, Memory stick etc.
:devil: Gd luck!

Cool thanks for the info! :cool:

Mystic,

Just to confuse u somemore...hee...hee

U also have to be aware of the following:

1. The user friendliness of the camera. I mean, can u operate the camera that u are buying with ease? Some brands are more user friendly than others. So what stage are u in? If u are still learning, pse buy a second hand one to play with! Also, are u the type that can take care of an expensive camera?

2. Technology and comfort level. Some pple will hate me for saying this, but pse buy a camera that will allow u to grow up in. I mean, the learning curve may be steep for u to use all the features but as u get better and yr skills improve, does that camera u own allows u to be creative and experiment. Yes, buying technology for technology sake is a pitfall to avoid, but one that allows u to grow with it is impt. Moreover, with better technology comes better capability and performance, so it is impt.
Also, if u buy one that does not allow u to grow up in and then u have to buy a new camera, u lose money! Selling it 2nd hand always mean that u lose a big chunk of money.

3. In a related point, as CKiang puts it, the resale value. Some brands can fetch a better price than others. So beware. German made ones and Nikon do have better resale value.

I hope this clear things up...

just want to point out that Cathay Photo's equote for the C4000 last week(30 Aug) is much better than Song's brother....

1) Olympus C4000 Zoom @ S$825.00
free with purchase ( while offer/stock last )
- 64MB smartmedia card
- GP Powerbank charger kit

;) rocks. olympus!

I'm using a Casio R-4 and i'm loving it.
Took lots of great and fun photos with it.
So go check it out!

Do u think i should wait for oly C5050 or jus buy C4000? I can see that its a quite a big jump from current ones.....

Wat do u all think??

Cheers!;)

Status
Not open for further replies.