Which camera is better for a photography enthusiast?

Status
Not open for further replies.

aaron80

Mar 29, 2006
North
www.flickr.com
Hi guys, my Fujifilm F30 had just died on me and I am going to Japan for honeymoon in 1 month time. I would need to get a new camera very soon and I am currently looking at the Fujifilm F200EXR and the Panasonic LX3. I am not sure how much is the F200EXR, only roughly know that its $500+ and the LX3 is around $690.

My main usage would be taking scenery and people shots. I am not too particular about zoom as my previous F30 has only 3X zoom and I am happy with it. But I prefer a camera with better ISO performance in low-light and of course good picture quality. I know the LX3 uses an external lens-cap which I am not particularly fond of but I can still live with that.

So which camera would you guys recommend me to get?

Why is a senior member posting in the newbies corner? :think:

Sorry coz though I registered in the forum many years back but have not been active for 2 years already. In terms of knowledge of photography and equipments really quite newbie now. I am trying to slowly get back into photography.:)

Why is a senior member posting in the newbies corner? :think:

I have a LX3, and i like it due to its wide fast lens, great for scenic night shoot handheld.

Have bad experience with Fuji's P&S, hence not sure if this is good.

LX3 have a faster lens; and wider angle.

Fujifilm have a better zoom; 5X as against 2.5X.

Sorry coz though I registered in the forum many years back but have not been active for 2 years already. In terms of knowledge of photography and equipments really quite newbie now. I am trying to slowly get back into photography.:)

No worries, but seriously you should be graduated to regular members liao lar, already 2k+ posts. :sweat:

Anyway, for your camera consideration, how about the Olympus E-P1 or the upcoming Panasonic GF1? I'm waiting for the GF1 myself. :lovegrin:

From the two shortlisted, go for LX3. You won't regret it. I am biased as I own one however I did try a few P&S and take some time before plonking the cash down.

yeah... I second that! Get the LX3! I'm queueing up for mine at MS Colour. Awaiting phone call from Florence ;)

go with LX3...easy to use..and fast...:lovegrin:

Thanks everyone! I guess after reading most of the reviews online and hearing what you all say, it will be the LX3 for me! I love wide-angle lens! In terms of low-lighting shooting, the LX3 seems quite on-par with F200EXR too.

Haha ok, next time I will post my queries in the general discussion area. Thanks for the recommendations bro! But after selling off my D80 two years back, I have no desire to buy a DSLR. I prefer a good compact camera which I can carry around all the time.

I did read the preview of GF1 in Dpreview and it seems pretty good.

No worries, but seriously you should be graduated to regular members liao lar, already 2k+ posts. :sweat:

Anyway, for your camera consideration, how about the Olympus E-P1 or the upcoming Panasonic GF1? I'm waiting for the GF1 myself. :lovegrin:

both are good.

i think you might want to try them out, i find that handling is an important factor when it comes to cameras, more than anything else, especially when technology is almost on par these days.

I did read the preview of GF1 in Dpreview and it seems pretty good.

I do think that the GF1 (and the EP-1) are still too big to be considered compact enough, and yet not big enough to be really comfortable to hold. I tried a friend's EP-1 + 50mm prime lens recently, and it was a real tough effort to hold it steady, as I can't brace it against my face like I would with my DSLR.

Such cameras are sorta like a really small car. It still takes up 1 car parking space, and 1 lane on the road, and yet you can't fit 4 people in it comfortably, nor can you carry a golf bag.

PnS = scooter
m4/3 = small car
DSLR = luxury car/lorry/bus... ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.