Which camera is better for a photography enthusiast?

Status
Not open for further replies.

aaron80

Mar 29, 2006
North
www.flickr.com
Hi guys, my Fujifilm F30 had just died on me and I am going to Japan for honeymoon in 1 month time. I would need to get a new camera very soon and I am currently looking at the Fujifilm F200EXR and the Panasonic LX3. I am not sure how much is the F200EXR, only roughly know that its $500+ and the LX3 is around $690.

My main usage would be taking scenery and people shots. I am not too particular about zoom as my previous F30 has only 3X zoom and I am happy with it. But I prefer a camera with better ISO performance in low-light and of course good picture quality. I know the LX3 uses an external lens-cap which I am not particularly fond of but I can still live with that.

So which camera would you guys recommend me to get?

ziploc

Jan 17, 2002
Snoopyland
Why is a senior member posting in the newbies corner? :think:

aaron80

Mar 29, 2006
North
www.flickr.com
Sorry coz though I registered in the forum many years back but have not been active for 2 years already. In terms of knowledge of photography and equipments really quite newbie now. I am trying to slowly get back into photography.:)

Why is a senior member posting in the newbies corner? :think:

Del_CtrlnoAlt

Feb 15, 2003
Outside the Dry Box.
Visit site
I have a LX3, and i like it due to its wide fast lens, great for scenic night shoot handheld.

Have bad experience with Fuji's P&S, hence not sure if this is good.

Diavonex

Sep 23, 2008
Admiralty
LX3 have a faster lens; and wider angle.

Fujifilm have a better zoom; 5X as against 2.5X.

ziploc

Jan 17, 2002
Snoopyland
Sorry coz though I registered in the forum many years back but have not been active for 2 years already. In terms of knowledge of photography and equipments really quite newbie now. I am trying to slowly get back into photography.:)
No worries, but seriously you should be graduated to regular members liao lar, already 2k+ posts. :sweat:

Anyway, for your camera consideration, how about the Olympus E-P1 or the upcoming Panasonic GF1? I'm waiting for the GF1 myself. :lovegrin:

eosandy

Sep 14, 2008
Land of smiles
From the two shortlisted, go for LX3. You won't regret it. I am biased as I own one however I did try a few P&S and take some time before plonking the cash down.

ZerocoolAstra

Mar 13, 2008
rainy Singapore
yeah... I second that! Get the LX3! I'm queueing up for mine at MS Colour. Awaiting phone call from Florence ;)

jlkk76

Dec 28, 2006
Tampines
go with LX3...easy to use..and fast...:lovegrin:

aaron80

Mar 29, 2006
North
www.flickr.com
Thanks everyone! I guess after reading most of the reviews online and hearing what you all say, it will be the LX3 for me! I love wide-angle lens! In terms of low-lighting shooting, the LX3 seems quite on-par with F200EXR too.

aaron80

Mar 29, 2006
North
www.flickr.com
Haha ok, next time I will post my queries in the general discussion area. Thanks for the recommendations bro! But after selling off my D80 two years back, I have no desire to buy a DSLR. I prefer a good compact camera which I can carry around all the time.

I did read the preview of GF1 in Dpreview and it seems pretty good.

No worries, but seriously you should be graduated to regular members liao lar, already 2k+ posts. :sweat:

Anyway, for your camera consideration, how about the Olympus E-P1 or the upcoming Panasonic GF1? I'm waiting for the GF1 myself. :lovegrin:

night86mare

Deregistered
Aug 25, 2006
www.pbase.com
both are good.

i think you might want to try them out, i find that handling is an important factor when it comes to cameras, more than anything else, especially when technology is almost on par these days.

ZerocoolAstra

Mar 13, 2008
rainy Singapore
I did read the preview of GF1 in Dpreview and it seems pretty good.
I do think that the GF1 (and the EP-1) are still too big to be considered compact enough, and yet not big enough to be really comfortable to hold. I tried a friend's EP-1 + 50mm prime lens recently, and it was a real tough effort to hold it steady, as I can't brace it against my face like I would with my DSLR.

Such cameras are sorta like a really small car. It still takes up 1 car parking space, and 1 lane on the road, and yet you can't fit 4 people in it comfortably, nor can you carry a golf bag.

PnS = scooter
m4/3 = small car
DSLR = luxury car/lorry/bus... ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom