Which camera gives the SOC (straight-off-camera) photos, without Processing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

achanth

Dec 12, 2005
www.photography-xylec.blogspot.com
Have seen very excellent pictures taken in clubsnappers.

i) which camera gives the best straight-off-camera (SOC) shots without photo processing?
ii) in Exif data, what do I look at to see if the photo is processed or not?

May be we need you to post your best SOC photos, and your camera/lens detail. Thanks.

i) which camera gives the best straight-off-camera (SOC) shots without photo processing?

May be we need you to post your best SOC photos, and your camera/lens detail. Thanks.

You're going to start another brand war. Everyone will start chiming in, saying their camera using any lens is the best.

There are 1,000,000 variables that make a picture good or bad.

If there was one camera that has the best SOC shots, everyone would be buying it.

I have used Nikon D3/D2X/D300/D200/D100/D70s(with sRealav2 curve) and D40 and I think they are all good.

D3 resized
DXFEonFX.jpg

D300 crop + resize
Dragonfly003.jpg

D2X resized + sharpened (just imagine it to be slightly softer)
spiderant001s.jpg

D40 resize
DSC_0342s.jpg

D70s (sRealav2 curve) resize
DSC_6103s.jpg

You're going to start another brand war. Everyone will start chiming in, saying their camera using any lens is the best.

There are 1,000,000 variables that make a picture good or bad.

If there was one camera that has the best SOC shots, everyone would be buying it.

It's not the camera. It's the person behind it. Garbage in, garbage out... ;p But generally, I feel confident with Nikon because I'm so used to them.

... and the LENS ;)

No. Even a cellphone cam, or a simple PnS, can make fantastic shots.

Saying that it requires a camera/lens combo to get good SOC pictures is extremely silly and misinformed.

No. Even a cellphone cam, or a simple PnS, can make fantastic shots.

Saying that it requires a camera/lens combo to get good SOC pictures is extremely silly and misinformed.

Gotta agree with you there. :bsmilie:

I have been reading many posts and seen many photos in CS and just my 2 cents only, I think if you don't want to process your image... Fuji S5Pro seems like a good one to get. But, don't take my word for it, search the Fuji forum and make your own judgement.

IMHO, processed images are way nicer.. because you add flavour to which you like the image to be, I don't think SOC can do vignette as nice as PS.

../azul123

here are some SOC (only resizing done) shots from 3 cameras; handphone cam (Nokia N73), P&S (Fuji F30), DSLR (Nikon D40), not necessarily in this order. Can you identify which shot comes from which cam, and which one gives the best SOC shots?

Camera 1
93303546.jpg

Camera 2
93303653.jpg

Camera 3
93303699.jpg

Mine:

#1 - D40
#2 - Fuji F30
#3 - N73 ;p

My guess:

#1 - D40
#2 - Nokia N73
#3- Fuji F30

I am tempted to go with this guess as well... Pretty certain the 2nd one is N73 but haven't seen the F30 so I don't know how it is compared to D40. ;p Optically the 3rd image looks better though there is some evident barrel distortion. Shadow noise seems less too, so I think that might be from D40 but I may be wrong because it could have been shot at high ISO. :dunno: So my guess.. F30, N73, D40.

thx all for guessing....

mechattax got it all correct;

d40 (with 18-200VR lens & b+w filter, image stabilisation on)
n73
f30

:)

aiya, why don't want to process pictures?

process pictures is the most fun thing to do with regards to photography, how can you deprive yourself of such joyful activity?!

process pictures is the most fun thing to do with regards to photography, how can you deprive yourself of such joyful activity?!

When you don't have time to process them... ;p

When you don't have time to process them... ;p

there is always time

it's whether you choose to watch victoria secrets super show or sit around clicking on photoshop on your computer

of course most people will choose the former..

er, so would i, thankfully i got no tv here :bsmilie:

there is always time

it's whether you choose to watch victoria secrets super show or sit around clicking on photoshop on your computer

of course most people will choose the former..

er, so would i, thankfully i got no tv here :bsmilie:

No.. I'm always in a mad rush to wash milk bottles, pacifiers when I get home.. ;p

i'll have to agree with you on this one. it also gives better pics! :bsmilie:

i couldn't help but notice all that the books in the bookshelf were all to do with sales.. power salesman?

Status
Not open for further replies.