which camera can take good night shots

Status
Not open for further replies.

lufu

Jan 20, 2002
Visit site
any recommendation for budget of $600. Which camera can do good night shot?

thanks

A used Nikon EM or FG with a cheap 50mm prime and a cable release works wonder.

Originally posted by Blankies

minus 20 and you get casio qv2900 with 8x optical !!

actually someone was quoted $650 for the QV2900UX!!! The QV2900UX would need a much longer exposure (3-4 times longer) to have the same level of exposure as the C2040 though. A shot which has proper exposure at 1s on the fast lens C2040 would need about 3-4s on the QV2900UX. This might be limiting if the subject can move as had happened here:
http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?s=&threadid=292

Check this out the post on the F1.8 vs F3.2 question I asked:
http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?s=&threadid=297

IMO, i always uses very small aperture to take nite shot photo. how do you all think?
using big aperture or small aperture?

Originally posted by cliveming
IMO, i always uses very small aperture to take nite shot photo. how do you all think?
using big aperture or small aperture?
hmmm... i like to use smaller aperture too... :p
but alot of people tell me i should use a bigger aperture... but i find its clearer when using a smaller aperture.. what do u reckon... pardon my ignorant...:p

Originally posted by mooks85

hmmm... i like to use smaller aperture too... :p
but alot of people tell me i should use a bigger aperture... but i find its clearer when using a smaller aperture.. what do u reckon... pardon my ignorant...:p

Using a small aperture (as in larger f-stop numbers e.g. f/8, f/11) gives you better depth of field, so it appears sharper. Using a small aperture also lengths exposure them. This gives you nice traffic trails. But on consumer digital cameras, long exposure also gives rise to higher noise. So you have to experiment to find out what's the optimal exposure.

Regards
CK

around 7pm to 8pm taking night shot, i usually using the f16 or f11, i dun know whether i am correct or not, just to make the light more sharper...u know sometimes, if using the large aperture, the part got bulb light always become very brght and destroy whole image.

all camera can do nightshots, including compact. the pics will not be depemndant on the camera make and model, but rather on the exposure of the film, and the ASA. IMHO, i suggest that the camera will not affect how the pic comes out, but rather the settings for the pic.

also, as for aperture, a smaller aperture, like f22, will results in small star like lights, called neutral flare...not sure if i am wrong. go try it out. do one shot with f8 and another with f22. see the diff.

cheers,
leonard

I really envy u all guys here. Aperture can set until so small. Mine can only up to f8.

Originally posted by Falcon
I really envy u all guys here. Aperture can set until so small. Mine can only up to f8.

Cos using SLR mah hee :D

Status
Not open for further replies.